Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What the?? I MISSED IT? COMPLETELY?

rhino

At today's USPSA match, I made a lot of small mistakes, but only two really big 'uns. The first was a no-shoot hit on a field course. When you go as slowly as I do, you can't afford that kind of thing, but it happens. I know it happened because I was looking at the targets again, and not my front sight. I'm doing better in that regard, but I still have moments replete with moronosity.

Anyway, the last stage of the match had a big "wedge" with five paper targets on each side forming a big "V" with a paper and two poppers at the vertex of the V. The cental paper and poppers were at about ... 30-35 yards or so and the closest two paper were at 10-12 yards or so.

All I had to do was chug through the targets, hit each twice, and whack the steel, all the while keeping my li'l single stack gun fed adequately. That's all! It was simple!

In the aftermath, I hit both steel easily with one shot each. I thought I probably had mostly As and maybe a few Cs on the papers. I thought I called my shots. During scoring, I was awakened to a different reality. I had a nine D hits ... and one complete miss! ON A HUGE FREAKIN' IPSC METRIC TARGET WHEN I WAS JUST STANDING THERE AND SHOOTING LIKE A BULLEYE MATCH. To make matters worse, the hit I did get on that target was barely a D ... it barely broke the perforation on the outer border of the target!

Ordinarily I'm a fairly accurate shooter, and usually it is my only saving grace. When something like this happens, it's inexcusible. I didn't have to worry about a weird shooting position, movement, no-shoots, fatigue, hard cover, or anything else that might have made it a difficult shot. I can't even say I wasn't looking at my front sight, because I was!

The trigger control ... the trigger control ... the trigger control ... it's all about trigger control. You'd think it wouldn't be an issue with a fairly crisp, sub- three pound trigger on a 1911, and yet ... :wacko:

Rhino, you want embarassing lack of trigger control? When Second Chance went to the "Supertables" each individual table of pins was squeezed down to a five-foot wide box. That meant that for the 9-pin event you had nine pins standing shoulder to shoulder. At 25 feet. It was a veritable wall of plastic-coated wood.

The first year I shot the new tables, I'm blasting away at 9-pin, and I'm having a wretched time. After one table, where I hit half, knock the other half down with the ones I hit, and they all start rolling towards the front edge, the shooter next to me commented "You really should be using something bigger. They aren't scared, and the wounded ones are rushing you."

Not too long ago I was still new to this game. I looked at targets as as just that...targets, and I needed to hit them twice.

Fast forward a few months, I got smarter... <_< Now I can group them as easy and difficult. Surprisingly, since then, I've had a lot of misses on the easy targets... :(

... and one complete miss! ON A HUGE FREAKIN' IPSC METRIC TARGET WHEN I WAS JUST STANDING THERE ...

I did this today in a classifier. The target was 7 yards in front of me and I only had three holes in it. One double in the A zone and a D below it. The worst part about it is that I wasn't able to call the miss. Nothing looked out of place during the shooting and I was going fairly slow. I'm so weak ...

My old problem:

End of satge: (With a smile) "I got 'em all maybe down 1 or 2!"

End of shoot: (Tear in one eye) "How the h@#l did I end second from bottom on that stage?"

Been there, seen it, done it - DIDN'T like it!

Okay, Rhino, since you were so generous in sharing, again, an embarassing match happening here is mine.

At the 2003 Area 4, I was running a pretty good match. I wasn't setting the world on fire with the times, but I was in first place. Over the course of the first two days, no mikes, no no-shoots, no penalties at all. Heck! I didn't even have all that many D's.....(Jaws theme here)...then came my nemisis stage... I walked through the stage looking at all the targets. Okay, no problem. Shot the stage. The RO is calling all the hits...la la la, so far so good... Then! All of the sudden out of her mouth I hear "Two Mikes!" :huh: Sure enough, just inside a port, right there to the right is a big old WIIIIIDDDDEEEE open target that should have had not only two holes, but comp blast marks. It was as squeaky clean as it was when it came out of the box. Doh! I took second in my class.

One week later, I was as sick as I could be and had spent the greater part of the day at the emergency room downtown. When I came home, I checked classifications on USPSA. There for all the world to see was the notification of a new classification card on the way to me in the mail. Yes, I got my C-Card in open on the back of Area 4 and two misses.

Liota

Just to make you feel better R and L, at our last national match:

Top open shooter, hoser stage (seated at table, pistol on table, 4 targets around table - the one on the right is 0.5m away from extended gun) and guess what, THAT target had 2 mikes and no comp blast or mark, no ptaches blown off - nada.....

overshot the target by about 30 to 40 cm...... <_<

Sh1t happens to ALL......... :(

One week later, I was as sick as I could be and had spent the greater part of the day at the emergency room downtown. When I came home, I checked classifications on USPSA. There for all the world to see was the notification of a new classification card on the way to me in the mail. Yes, I got my C-Card in open on the back of Area 4 and two misses.

Ouch! The classic adding of insult to injury!

Rhino,

I got you beat on that same stage. 4-Mikes!!! And you know the worst part is that when I reload I check to be sure that there are bullets in all the cases so I know it wasn't defective ammo. Just a defective shooted. And I took two shots at one of the poppers. What a day.

Doug! I think the RO bumped you and you didn't notice it ... you deserve a reshoot!! :lol:

Did you try to go too fast or something? I was worried I might do that, so I deliberately slowed down ... maybe I went too slowly and waited to long to press the trigger when I had a decent sight picture??