Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handguard recommendations

jlaw973

I have a Samson 4 rail right now and I'm wanting to go to a smaller diameter, smooth handguard. I've tried the JP on other guns and like it but was wondering of other good options.

And...I have a 13 year daughter that's wanting to start shooting more and try some 3 gun. So I want it to be fairly light also. Looking at getting an 18"-20" light weight barrel to put on it also. Really want to get set up for her to start shooting but don't have to funds for the trial and error thing! Also going to have to get a pistol that she can shoot and probably a 20 gauge.

What does Katie Harris's rifle have on it, if anyone knows? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jamie

Trying to recommend a hand guard would be like telling you which kind of underwear to buy. There are lots of materials in all kinds of configurations. If light weight is important Lancer has a great product just out. But I can tell you from working with lots of kids that how the gun balances for them is as important as weight.

The rifle has a 16" barrel on it now, you think I should keep it at that for her and maybe go with a lighter weight? She has a little trouble holding it free hand the way it is. It's not really that heavy and I'm sure she will build the muscles needed with time, just trying to set it up to make it a little easier for her starting out. It has a carbine stock on it also, so it's a little light on the rear, should I add a little weight there to counter the forward weight?

Troy TRX Extreme rails are very slim. And with the option to mount rails makes for a comfortable handguard. Don't really know about the weight but I quite like the forearm.

Edited by jdknotts1

Assualter, I'll check it out next month if you bring it to town, thanks.

Weight is some what a factor, but not the only factor. My 13 year old daughter is not a big kid. I am looking for something that is fairly light weight but also fairly small in diameter that she can get a grip on. Thanks for the help and recommendations.

Katie is using the Troy Alpha Rail. Don't get so worried about the weight. We started with a very light gun but Katie prefers something with a little more weight. Balance on the gun is more important than weight to help your daughter holding it up.