Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nervous? Your body is just trying to help!

dravz

This is taken from the CSF-PREP curriculum done by the Army to teach Soldiers mental strength routines. While we shooters have match stress to deal with, Soldiers have two-way range stress to deal with. One of the easiest ways to make nervousness less stressful is to understand why it happens.

Your nervous system does nothing by chance. Everything your body provides you during stressful moments is good for performance, but since we don't know that we wonder why our bodies are trying to sabotage us when we need help the most, like right before a big match. Fact is, performing at extraordinary levels requires an extraordinary amount of energy and activation. Mentally tough individuals learn to accept and embrace the natural and helpful flood of adrenaline and energy -- to see the nervousness as an advantage!

Dry Mouth

Saliva, used to digest food, turns off so energy used for digestion can be redirected to the brain and muscles -- where it's needed! Unless you are nervous before an eating contest, this is a good thing.

Rapid Breathing

Brings in more oxygen and rids the body of waste products that cause fatigue. Take deep breaths to get your breathing under control and relax to stay in the zone.

Increased Heart Rate

Speeds up the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the brain and muscles!

Sweaty Palms and Pits

Sweating ensures the body, muscles, and internal organs remain at their optimal temperature right from the start of the mission.

Butterflies in the Stomach

Digestion shuts down so that energy used for digestion can be redirected to the brain and muscles! The resulting change in stomach acid creates the sensation of "butterflies." Realize this is an advantage (again, unless you are preparing for an eating contest), thank your stomach for powering down and conserving energy!

Digestive Clearing (PPP)

Relieving oneself empties the digestive system so that energy used for digestion can be redirected elsewhere, and lightens the load on your body! The 3 P's: Pee, Poop, and Puke! Your body clears out your digestive tract so it doesn't slow you down during the mission. Get the lead out!

Trembling Hands and Knees

The nervous system kicks into a higher gear in order to speed up communication between the brain and the body, which results in trembling hands and knees in some people.

Understanding why your body does these things when you are nervous will help you perform at your best without worrying about your body being out to sabotage you. It is just trying to help! Understand what is happening and use it to your advantage.

snip..

Digestive Clearing (PPP)

Relieving oneself empties the digestive system so that energy used for digestion can be redirected elsewhere, and lightens the load on your body! The 3 P's: Pee, Poop, and Puke! Your body clears out your digestive tract so it doesn't slow you down during the mission. Get the lead out!

snip

Understanding why your body does these things when you are nervous will help you perform at your best without worrying about your body being out to sabotage you. It is just trying to help! Understand what is happening and use it to your advantage.

No wonder I can go pee right before I shoot, and as soon as I'm on the line 3 minutes later, I gotta go again! :goof::bow:

Interesting information, thanks for posting.

I can probably count the number of matches that I have shot, and about the middle of last year I noticed I wasn't as nervous as when I first started, or even nervous at all. Until now, I thought that might be a good thing.

I can probably count the number of matches that I have shot, and about the middle of last year I noticed I wasn't as nervous as when I first started, or even nervous at all. Until now, I thought that might be a good thing.

Not to worry, everyone's optimum stress level is different. Knowing why your body is doing all these strange things is just one way to back yourself down a little bit and avoid the downward stress spiral.

I think the most important thing to learn from this is to controle your mind and body to the point where you can get the benifits of what your body is doing but keep it from over reacting and getting to the point where your motorskills are impaired

I talked to a 12 time world champion athlete (not a shooter) who told me the difference in the top ten athletes in his sport was tye ability to controle their emotions to get the correct ammount of adrenaline and energy for the competition without losing controle.

Jeremy

Rapid Breathing

Brings in more oxygen and rids the body of waste products that cause fatigue. Take deep breaths to get your breathing under control and relax to stay in the zone.

Increased Heart Rate

Speeds up the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the brain and muscles!

I had these two do a number on me last night!

Sweaty Palms and Pits

Sweating ensures the body, muscles, and internal organs remain at their optimal temperature right from the start of the mission.

This one is everyday life for me :blush:

Digestive Clearing (PPP)

I sure hope this never happens to me at a match!

Good stuff.

Some deep, slow slow breaths help combat some of the negative side effects of a pre-stage adrenaline dump. Get your breathing under conscious control, and slow it down - that will help with the shakes and rapid breathing! It won't clear all the feelings (and, as dravz points out, you don't want them to). But, too much adrenaline will put you in a bad state to perform (basically - too amped up).

If I don't have butterflies before the beginning of a major match, I get concerned about how sharp my performance is going to be! cheers.gif

This was an awesome post.

During the short time I've been shooting -- I've found that if I don't acknowledge the adrenaline and control it -- I find myself moving a little too quick and taking shots before I have the sights. I just am not as smooth. Acknowledging and understanding the adrenaline is pumping and taking a deep breath helps me focus on what's in front of me.