Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-75 / EAA (Tanfoglio) magazine compatibility

Stan-O

So I'm trying to get the product SKU off EAA for the CZ-compatible magazines and of course when I said it's for the small-frame old EAA gun they've asked me for the serial number. What can I tell them (year of production, etc) to clarify what type of magazines I need without having the actual Tanfo/EAA gun with the serial number?

EAA obviously have been bitten one too many times in the past with the customer stating "this is what I want to order", then when they get it find out it doesn't fit/work. Hence the requirement they have for wanting a serial number, as much of a hassle that is for when you know what you are asking for.

Your really better off buying some MecGar small frame EAA mags, like from Greg Kote or Midway, or other places as well.

Good luck

I hope this isn't off thread, but Beretta model 92 & 96 magazine baseplates supposedly fit CZs. Berettausa.com is selling both rubber and plastic magazine baseplates for $6 on their website. The plastic ones held up really well while being dropped on concrete numerous times every qual with my old agency. I think the rubber ones are newer and maybe better. Good luck.

So I'm trying to get the product SKU off EAA for the CZ-compatible magazines and of course when I said it's for the small-frame old EAA gun they've asked me for the serial number. What can I tell them (year of production, etc) to clarify what type of magazines I need without having the actual Tanfo/EAA gun with the serial number?

EAA obviously have been bitten one too many times in the past with the customer stating "this is what I want to order", then when they get it find out it doesn't fit/work. Hence the requirement they have for wanting a serial number, as much of a hassle that is for when you know what you are asking for.

Your really better off buying some MecGar small frame EAA mags, like from Greg Kote or Midway, or other places as well.

Good luck

Thanks, but I need them to be Canada-legal (10 rounds) and I don't think MecGar makes them in 10-round capacity and if they're 16-rounders or more and are pinned you can't take them apart, so 10 rounds Tanfos/EAA are my only option. I seem to have narrowed down the Tanfo model number so I can try ordering them thru the local dealer.

I hope this isn't off thread, but Beretta model 92 & 96 magazine baseplates supposedly fit CZs. ....

Again, much appreciated!

• 4 months later...

Well, I've got to try those in my gun. Actually the ones I've tried looked more like these, but with the black followers. They do fit and feed rounds fine, but as soon as a first shot is taken they are no longer free-drop. I actually have to use some force to pull them out of the magwell. I've also noticed that the top part of those EAA magazines is slightly larger than that of the CZ ones so there's some friction around the trigger bar which prevents the magazines from dropping free.

From what I've heard the full-metal Tanfoglio magazines sold in Canada have indent inside which prevents follower from being removed so it's impossible to thoroughly clean those.

So I'm back to square one with the search for the durable 9mm 10-rounders. :(

I was googling CZ-75 baseplates and hit this thread, so sorry for the zombie thread.

Did you solve your issue?

I needed some 10 rounders (In California) so I ordered 16 round Mec Gars DISASSEBLED as REBUILD KITS. Then I cut some thin aluminum bar stock I found at Home Depot (the bar fits inside the mag body, I took the mag body to HD and just tried a bunch). The bar is thin (side to side) enough to fit in the front of the magazine body and thing enough (back to front) so that it doesn't bind the spring. I cut a one inch length and bevelled three sides of the top of the piece with a file/sandpaper (so that the spring would not bind on any sharp edge) then after test fitting (using a small clamp to hold the piece in place), and making sure the METAL base plate still fit with the piece in position, I put the mag follower into the body and then epoxied the bar in. The Epoxy has a sheer (?) strength of 5000 lbs, so it's as permanent as you can get! Then I assembled my new 10 round, metal bodied magazine. The mag cost around $20 and the length of aluminum was about $5. I did 4 magazines this way. Considering what CZ wants for each 10 round magazine ($45!!!) it was way more economical to do this.

I would actually have preferred the 10 rounders with the plastic because it has a fat baseplate, good for fast reloads with USPSA/IPSC shooting OUTDOORS.

I'm now looking for REASONABLY priced baseplates. I'll look into those Beretta plates.

I hope this helps!

Can you still take the followers out to clean the mag? Please post photos. If you could also post the Home Depot product ID and the length to cut for the aluminum bars I'd be much obliged.

Thanks!

The magazines for large-frame Tanfos - which are the dominant ones that are usually seen, like the Gold Teams and Limiteds - are not dimensionally similar to any CZ magazines.

Negative, large frame Witness magazines are dimensionally identical to CZ97B magazines; I use them in mine. $25 each from EAA beats the hell out of $40 each from CZ.

Stan-O, I prefer the factory ten round mags from EAA. I've bought four of them off Ebay for less than $15 each shipped.

The one I've tried in my CZ was the wrong shape around the follower and was getting stuck (trigger bar pushing it).

• 1 year later...

Similar question: I'm brand-new to EAA and CZ pistols, so please be kind.

I'm not a competitor, I just enjoy shooting high-quality pistols at my own range.

I just purchased a Witness Elite Limited in 10mm, and it only comes with one (1) mag so I'm trying to find more.

EAA tells me they sell a 3-mag pack for $75 (EAA #101945), which seems fair. However, the Elite Limited mags require a different base-plate which is @ $39 (EAA #102037)!

Any suggestions?

OK, the Limited pistols come with a small mag well to help with speed reloads in competition which require extended base pads, if you remove the mag well you can use mags with the plastic bases, but if you're going to buy base pads, I recomment some from Henning (henningshootsguns.com).

You might want to buy his mag well as well as it really improves support hand control of the pistol.

Edited by kneelingatlas

the other option is to try and get some of the new alloy bases CZ have made for their canada edition (and now australia) edition pistols. they fit on the regular 10 round mags and protect the little plastic foot nicely. mad can still be dissasembled for cleaning etc.

have a look here. regular 10 round mags, with base protectors. they are IPSC production division legal too.

175681911-22-A1-MID-051802-m.jpg

• 9 years later...