Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-75 / EAA (Tanfoglio) magazine compatibility

Stan-O

I have these horrible 9mm 10-round magazines with the huge plastic heel on the bottom and they are starting to fall apart from being dropped on concrete (just a few times), so I'm looking for the full-metal 10-rounders and from what I've seen online the EAA/Tanfoglio magazines fit the bill. However there are two types and as far as I understand they're for different frames EAA/Tanfoglio guns. Which ones would be compatible with my Shadow? A link/part number would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Small frame EEA/Tanfoglio magazines are supposedly cross compatible with CZ-75's. Unfortunately, most of the of Tanfoglio's imported by EAA in recent years are the large frame guns.

If you need replacement magazines with the plastic heels because you live in a 10 round state, check out Midway USA for CZ magazines.

I have these horrible 9mm 10-round magazines with the huge plastic heel on the bottom and they are starting to fall apart from being dropped on concrete (just a few times), so I'm looking for the full-metal 10-rounders and from what I've seen online the EAA/Tanfoglio magazines fit the bill. However there are two types and as far as I understand they're for different frames EAA/Tanfoglio guns. Which ones would be compatible with my Shadow? A link/part number would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Also, you can change out your baseplate to an alluminum one made by CZ Custom.....

Small frame EEA/Tanfoglio magazines are supposedly cross compatible with CZ-75's. Unfortunately, most of the of Tanfoglio's imported by EAA in recent years are the large frame guns.

If you need replacement magazines with the plastic heels because you live in a 10 round state, check out Midway USA for CZ magazines.

No, thank you, I'd prefer to spend money on the regular metal tube/plastic baseplate magazines instead. :)

Thanks!

Also, you can change out your baseplate to an alluminum one made by CZ Custom.....

No, I can't -- it's more than the baseplate. You need to see the CZ 10-round 9mm magazines to understand why.

I've run some small frame Tanfoglio mags in my SP-01 before with no trouble. It seems there is some difference in the shape of the mag body, but it wouldn't hurt to give one a try to see how it runs in your gun.

There're two types of EAA magazines sold now, one for steel frame guns and the other type for the polymer frame guns. Any idea which one might work in CZ? Local store doesn't have any, they'd have to be special-ordered, but I need to know which ones I need first.

Metal frame work's fine.

I Have a Witness Classic, and in my last match, a friend broke on of his mags, so I give him one of mine for his CZ SP01, and it work perfectly. BUT, the reverse is not so true, I tried his mags in my gun, no feeding problem, but the slide refuse to lock open on last round.

Metal frame work's fine.

Only the small-frame, of which most current/new Tanfos in the US are not.

The magazines for large-frame Tanfos - which are the dominant ones that are usually seen, like the Gold Teams and Limiteds - are not dimensionally similar to any CZ magazines. I'm not sure if EAA is currently importing any small-frame Tanfos. I know when people have asked about small-frame Stocks recently, they've said EAA replied saying they will only import the large-frame versions.

If you shoot indoors, those plastic bases on the Tanfoglio produced mags (i.e. red followers) also crack when dropped on concrete. What is strange with those magazines is I think they changed the formulation on the plastic. The older magazines before 2005-2006 with those plastic bases are okay, but after that point "they don't make them like they used to.", I've not dropped any MecGar produced mags (with the black followers) on concrete yet so I don't know if the MecGar once are tougher or not. Let us know what you find.

If you get tired of the bases cracking, you can swap them with Henning's aluminum base pads: http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/magpads.html

I would certainly try one before buying several.....mine look like this one, but are older with a black follower.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/557564/eaa-magazine-witness-9mm-luger-10-round-steel-blue

I've looked at these and they also have that huge plastic heel, so they would be exactly the same as the CZ ones.

If you get tired of the bases cracking, you can swap them with Henning's aluminum base pads: http://henningshootsguns.com/shop/magpads.html

Thanks, but I can't -- the problem is not the base. On the CZ 10-rounders the lower third of the magazine is plastic. You don't remove the baseplate, you remove the whole plastic heel. I'll try to post the photo tomorrow. The problem is that when being dropped at an angle the metal part of it (plus whatever rounds left) force the bottom part out. Again, it will be clearer when I post photos.

Are there any CZ shooters from CA around here? They have similar magazine restrictions, I wonder what do they use? I practice almost exclusively indoors, so it's a huge deal for me.

I'm attaching the photo of the 10-rounders I have. The problem is that when they're free-dropped, there's a lot of stress on the lip of the plastic heel and it comes out of the metal part.

post-36464-0-09838900-1332621987_thumb.j

the CZ mags with plastic base plate ( 10rds) are a little too short to work great in small frame tanfoglio's. Small frame tanfo mags work great in CZ 9mm or small frame...but stick out a little at the bottom. The downside is that after a while,..if you really slam the tanfo mags into the CZ, you may crack the mags at the top rear where it would contact the bottom of the sear cage. Happened to one of my mags.

Mo -- where did you get your Tanfo mags, how much were they and is there a product ID I could use to order them at my local shop? Any help on identifying those Tanfo mags which do work in CZ will be hugely appreciated!

I got some from Henning I believe....and some from Freedom ventures in Canada. SMALL frame 9mm for the stock, stock2, stock3...etc.

I have no idea for product #. I would order off the internet if your dealer can not get them....you could try over seas if that doesn't work out.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

These are exactly what you need. They are an all aluminum replacement for the plastic part of the CZ factory 10 round magazine. CZ Custom makes them in the normal length and an extended length. Neither increase capacity, but the longer ones may be easier to grab out of a mag pouch.

http://czcustom.com/cz-aluminum-base_pad-10_round_standard.aspx

http://czcustom.com/cz-aluminum-base_pad-10_round_long_length.aspx

These are exactly what you need. They are an all aluminum replacement for the plastic part of the CZ factory 10 round magazine. CZ Custom makes them in the normal length and an extended length. Neither increase capacity, but the longer ones may be easier to grab out of a mag pouch.

http://czcustom.com/cz-aluminum-base_pad-10_round_standard.aspx

http://czcustom.com/cz-aluminum-base_pad-10_round_long_length.aspx

Thanks, dunno how I missed them! However, I'm not too keen on them for two reasons:

1. Price -- I should be able to get Tanfo/EAA mags for about as much

2. It's still a two-piece design. I wouldn't have an issue of the plastic part breaking free of the metal portion of the magazine, but eventually I'm afraid these aluminum parts will wreck the magazine upper.

If I can't find the Tanfo/EAA magazines, I'll probably go this route tho.

So I'm trying to get the product SKU off EAA for the CZ-compatible magazines and of course when I said it's for the small-frame old EAA gun they've asked me for the serial number. What can I tell them (year of production, etc) to clarify what type of magazines I need without having the actual Tanfo/EAA gun with the serial number?

Stan-O,

I'm not certain that this is what you want, but in your pm you seemed to want negative (as in it won't fit the CZ) info too. So here goes, my fairly new Tanfo large steel frame Witness Match in .40 S&W uses SKU 101945 mags (I'm running 10mm mags for the long OAL (1.25") and its ability to attain high velocity with lower chamber pressures than the .40 S&W but still use cheap brass). The mags say K10 and the receipt from EAA also says EA10M2005 in addition to the SKU code number.

Hope this helps. Oh, there were some magazine/pistol design changes in 2005.

Edited by jmbaccolyte