Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

617 Action Work

mrwhite1

I ordered a 617 recently and had planned on sending to S&W Performance Center to have the (S&W factory wire brush scratch finish) either polished or bead blasted matte as well as an action tune... Recently I found out that the Performance Center does not do any action tuning for 22 revolvers? Not sure why?

So I was thinking about sending to Apex Tactical to have action tuned... Does anyone have experience with them for S&W revolver tuning?

I'm wanting the trigger pull definitely lightened but I've read various stories about when you lighten triggers on the 617 you can run into light primer strikes?

I've also read depending on the gunsmith they recommend using snap caps and not dry firing them as well?

On their website they have different action level packages for revolvers but it looks like there is only one package available for 22 LR revolvers.

http://www.apextactical.com/services.php

Any advice or experience would be appreciated

I've dry fired my 617 without any issue (newer model). I did my own work and it's basically the same as the 686, 625s I've done. Unfortunately the 22s aren't as easy to light off as Federals. I got mine down to about 7lbs which is as low as I could go before having issues.

I have several revos that Apex has done up. Certainly one of (if not the) premier smith for revos. I have held and played with one of their 617's and you will be very happy with what they would do for you.

Bob Houzenga just did up a 629 and when I got it back I thought he had set it up for competition instead of hunting. It is very nice and does go bang with any factory stuff I put in it. He has a very fast turn around if that is important to you and does amazing work. He runs Midwest Training Group (midwesttraininggroup.net) and his email is:

staysafe@q.com STAYSAFE@Q.COM

Chris

Be aware the 617 cannot be tuned to the extent of the centerfire guns. My 617 belonged to Mike Carmoney. About the best you will get the trigger down to is right at 7 lbs. Any lighter and reliability will really suffer. As far as dry firing you will be fine with the stock firing pin. If you put a long firing pin in it there is a very good chance you will damage the cylinder from the firing pin hitting the edge of the chamber.

Revolvers in 22RF are temperamenatal. For reliable ignition it is best not to attempt lightening the trigger pull. My 617's trigger has really smoothed out and with more than 10,000 rounds it is a very reliable performer.

Apex does offer a hammer which is supposed to improve the trigger pull and judging by the favorable review of Apex offerings I would conclude it would perform as advertised - whether the small differnce is worthwhile is a personnal value judgement.

Edited by TonyT

Randy at APEX does excellent work. Three people at the Hogue range shoot APEX 617s in Rimfire competition, and they are really nice. One of our shooters, shoots his in open class and has no problem hanging with the open 1911 conversions. I have never seen his gun have any problems. APEX even makes a "pencil barrel" that looks and shoots sweet.