Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Price check on 625

braindoc

Hi all,

I will be looking at a 625. It has the 5in barrel, transfer bar and no internal lock. According to the owner he has about 1000 rds through it and it is stock otherwise. Is $400 an ok price if the condition and lock up are all tight? He will let me shoot it first also for accuracy.

braindoc

To complicate matters now. Another fellow has a 5 in 625 with and action job, older version (model of 1989) hammer mounted firing pin and Ahrend grips. for $500. We don't know who did the action job and does the version make that much of a difference?

braindoc

:blink: $450!

No way, you better keep looking....and if you give me that guys phone number I'll personally call him and tell him to lower the price for you. <_<:lol:

$450 is a good price if it is not out of time. Naturally, if you are going to shoot IDPA you would have to have it cut down to 4" or pay S&W $$$$ to exchange the 5" for a 4" ($150 or so).

If you have the choice between a 1989 version and a newer one for the same price I would take the older one first based on my experience but I have one of each and they are both equally good. The 1989 with "unknown action job" is not worth an additional $50 in my opinion. You "eat" custom work on resale most times anyway. Besides, if you send it to someone like Cylinder and Slide for a barrel cut down they will tell you the action job is garbage and want to do it again anyway.

If the newer one is $100 cheaper and you intend to have a gunsmith look at it you might as well buy the newer one and just have someone capable perform an action job.

My 1989 version worked great (paid $450 with known action job) for about two+ years then it went out of time and died on me at the 2004 NY State IDPA Championship. Why don't guns break in practice? $400+ later it is up and running again.

Buy the cheaper/newer one and spend the extra $$ on a good action job - Cylinder and Slide does excellent work - and you usually get what you pay for in gunsmithing.

Good luck - hope to see you in SSR soon.