Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 Setback Problems/ Crimp

Marv Z

I just started reloading .223 on my 550. Was using Dillon dies and having lots of problems with setback. Made up some dummy rounds and chambering them in my BHW upper, they will set back any where from .020 to pushing the bullet into the case. I tried getting more crimp from the Dillon die with no success. Actually crimped them far enough it bent the case with no luck. Picked a Lee FCD die, and tried that with the same issue. I can almost slide the bullet in the case by hand after sizing. Tried new LC brass, used Privi, used RP with the same results. I'm using 69 gr MK HPBT. Just for fun I decided to pull a bullet from some Black Hills 77gr match ammo left from last year. The bullet on the left is from my case and the one on the right is the Black Hills. There appears to be a huge difference in neck tension between the two. The Black Hills also has no crimp. My case necks measure .246 od and .2255 to .223 id with a calipers after sizing. Bullets are .224 Any chance this is a bad sizing die? Sure looks like there are way to loose. I can't believe I have to crimp those 69's that much. I searched the forum and saw that a lot of guys don't crimp at all. I'd never get one in the chamber like that. Any ideas? Thanks!!!!

post-21145-0-49001000-1332287648_thumb.j

post-21145-0-03051600-1332287661_thumb.j

post-21145-0-36643400-1332287712_thumb.j

Edited by Marv Z

I measured the ball on the Dillon die and it's .223. That's too big as far as I can tell. I called Dillon and got a RMA number to send it back for inspection. I picked up a RCBS base size die that's supposed to size to minimum SAMMI specs and that seems to have done the trick. I'm still crimping to get the bullet to stay put while loading fron a mag on my AR. I pulled apart a bunch of different makes of ammo and all appear to have some type of crimp. I'll shoot some back to back against the Black Hills and see how it performs. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly why I full length resize/decap/expander ball first, THEN run thru the dillon trim die, THEN don't do anything with the neck other than a slight bell for bullet seating. the dillon trim die (which is a full length size die as well) leaves the neck tension tight, which is what you want...

jj

In my 650 setup, I use a Dillon carbide FL resizing die with the expander ball removed in station 1, then through a RT1200/trim die in station 3, then a lee neck expaning die in station 5 for a very slight bell.

I tried a RCBS neck sizer/decapper in station 1 but found much more consistent sizing and shoulder setting using the FL sizing die in station 1.

Mick

quote name='RiggerJJ' timestamp='1333483818' post='1675213']

Exactly why I full length resize/decap/expander ball first, THEN run thru the dillon trim die, THEN don't do anything with the neck other than a slight bell for bullet seating. the dillon trim die (which is a full length size die as well) leaves the neck tension tight, which is what you want...

jj

Typical neck tension for an autoloader should be around .003", bolt gun .002", bolt gun for seating on the lands .001" (for seating final bullet depth with the bolt). This is just the neck tension not counting any crimp. I have found that .003" interference in my Bushmaster works just fine no crimp. So reloading a .224" bullet you should be looking for about .221" ID at the neck.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same problem with .223.

Snagged about 500 once fired Federal ( FC 07) brass the other day when I re-qualified.

Prepped them just like I always do on my 550B using Dillon 3 die set.. Tumble,size/decap,tumble, check in case gage.

Nothing needed trimmed. All cases ranged around 1.75

Sizing die is set to bump back around .003-4.

Bullets I was using was some bulk 55gr FMJ w/ cannilure.

Was getting inconsistent OAL at first. Checked bullets with digi caliper. Tip to cann and base to cann measured different. Also bullet length varied.

Crap, cheap ass bullets.

Decided to sort and load a few. Neck tension seemed to not be enough. Some would not set back, others would push right in with a finger.

Tried light crimp to severe crimp. Same results.

Tried some Win .223 brass with the same results.

Tried 55gr and 60 gr Vmax bullets, same results.

Gave up after about 3 hours of fiddling with it.

Gonna strip seating die tonight and measure expander ball.

Weird thing is I have loaded over 3k of .223 with this same set up with no problems.

Maybe expander ball is gunked up with lube???

I ended up going with a RCBS base size die to get to the minimum spec on the neck. That and a Lee FCD seems to do the trick. I shot about 100 of them at our last 3 gun match. There just doesn't seem to be enough tension to hold them without a crimp. I must have made about 100 dummy rounds with every type of crimp with both the Dillon and Lee dies to get it to stay. So far so good...

Edited by Marv Z

UPDATE:

Measured the carbide expander ball last night when I got home from work.

Ball measured .223.

Removed the ball and screwed the decapping pin back on.

Re-sized 5 pieces of FC 07 brass and seated some 55gr fmj w/cann.

Neck tension was greatly improved! OAL stayed the same even after attempting to push the bullet in on the side of my bench.

Gave the dummy rounds a very slight crimp using the Dillon crimp die.

Only bad thing is I now have to re-lube/size/tumble all my brass.