Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dilemma of sorts

Iggy42

Let me start off my saying I am a HUGE 1911 fan. That being said I am in the market for a nice CCW gun, and while I lean toward a 4" barreled 1911 a part of me worries that, despite practice, if I find myself in a bad situation where it would be needed I might fumble with a thumb safety. That being said I have being looking at alternitaves. The top 2 are a 3.8 XDM in 45 and the new XDS that just came out. I thought about a M&P but I just don't like them (which partly sadens me since I prefer made in the usa products and none of my firearms are....yet) What I am trying to find out is the differences in width in both models. Not a major factor, more of a curosity than anything. Biggest factor is price if I am honest since I am on a budget (and who isn't these days). Perfect world would be both since there are times when I would need something that will fit a pocket which while tight I imagine a XDS could be carried in a pocket or even a belly band.

Guess what I am getting at is I need a little help choosing a first gun for everyday carry, or in the very least give me some good reasons not to stick with a 1911 (would love to see some responses from someone that has been in a similar predicament).

Finally sorry about my spelling, doing this at work and I don't have spellcheck access to help me out.

Edited by Iggy42

I am a HUGE 1911 fan. I lean toward a 4" 1911 but worried I might fumble with a thumb safety.

... alternatives. are a 3.8 XDM in 45 and the new XDS

I thought about a M&P but I don't like them

I need something that will fit a pocket

I wouldn't want to carry a 1911 in my pocket??? IMHO.

Sounds like the 3.8 XDM is the answer? What don't you

like about it?

Jack

Look at a EMP. 3" barrel, short grip, very concealable. I have one in .40 that I have the utmost confidence in. The 9mm ones have a aluminum frame and the .40s are steel. I've had two. My 9mm had to go back to SA for warranty work, but my .40 has been great right out of the box. I'd trust my life to it. I will also look at the XDS when it comes out. The XDM even in a compact is too wide for me.

Are you married to .45 as the caliber, or are you willing to look at other calibers?

Pretty much, I know modern hollow points are effective people stoppers in 9mm and .40. I just have more faith in a .45 putting someone down, especially since where I live if I need to defend myself its probably going to be some meth head all cranked out of their mind.

I am a HUGE 1911 fan. I lean toward a 4" 1911 but worried I might fumble with a thumb safety.

... alternatives. are a 3.8 XDM in 45 and the new XDS

I thought about a M&P but I don't like them

I need something that will fit a pocket

I wouldn't want to carry a 1911 in my pocket??? IMHO.

Sounds like the 3.8 XDM is the answer? What don't you

like about it?

Jack

Biggest thing I don't like is the plastic. I am currently having a XDm set up for Limited since its what I could do on my budget but I really do love 1911s and all metal frames. Also I would never carry a 1911 in a pocket, if I do go that route in the end it would be in a Crossbreed super tuck IWB. What gets me to the XDm is the capacity (9+1 in compact, 13+1 with full size grip extension). Perfect world I would have all 3 and carry what I need for the day, and in the end that is my hope, but sadly my checkbook doesn't allow me to do that.

A carry gun is Very Personal.

And, always a compromise ...

And, sounds like you're thinking of one

gun to carry in your pocket and compete

with at matches ??

That's really a compromise.

I carry a small gun, and use a BIG gun

for competition ... I know, I should

use one gun for both - but I don't want to:)

Good luck,

Jack

A carry gun is Very Personal.

And, always a compromise ...

And, sounds like you're thinking of one

gun to carry in your pocket and compete

with at matches ??

That's really a compromise.

I carry a small gun, and use a BIG gun

for competition ... I know, I should

use one gun for both - but I don't want to:)

Good luck,

Jack

No not at all. My carry gun would be separate from my competition gun. What it comes down to is that my heart tells me to go with a 1911 since that is what I have the most trigger time on and its a design that I know and love. After all there is a reason why its still in heavy use/production after 100 years. However, my technical brain says I should go to a polymer striker fired gun for the capacity, weight, and lack of manual safeties. Hence why I come to XD variants since they all have the grip and trigger safeties plus so far of the big 3 polymers they are the most comfortable for me. I have not taken a look at the Ruger SR40s yet (not many around here) but I do plan to since they are a, by all accounts, quality American made product and I do try to reward said companies with my money what I can. Sadly no .45 though and that for me is a big mark against them. That being said in the end this is something that may save my or my wife's life someday and I want something I have faith in regardless of where it comes from. Besides XDs my be imports, but at least is by an American company. Better than nothing IMO.

Edited by Iggy42

I am very happy with my XDm 3.8C .40 carried in a SuperTuck. I bought it soon after they became available and after shooting several thousand rounds through my “full-size” 3.8. I also have the 5.25 I shoot competition with (USPSA and soon, 3-Gun) and a “standard” 4.5 all in .40. I also have a 9mm conversion barrel (and 9mm magazines) for the 4.5 for cheaper range practice. All this to say, my carry/truck, bedside, and spare/range guns all have the same manual of arms as the one I get the most trigger time on, my competition gun. I suppose I could have just stuffed the 5.25 in my pants and carried it inside every night and saved myself a lot of money but then I would not have gotten to buy the other 3 guns!

I do understand your fondness for the 1911 platform and recognize the fact you have a lot of experience with it. That said, I find the XDm to be the best choice for me as a one-platform choice for all my front line handguns. I suppose where I to want a smaller carry, the XDs would naturally fit right in. Humm, I may need to keep an eye out for one.

XD's are now available with thumb safeties. Get one, or stick with your 1911. Learn how to use it and be comfortable with the safety, or don't carry the gun. I won't carry a loaded concealed gun unless it has a manual safety. Just my opinion that most don't agree with. I would rather be safe than sorry!

• 1 month later...

I just switched from a 1911 (early model Kimber Ultra Carry) to an XDm (3.8"). Both are .45ACP because it works, is forgiving, and I don't have to start buying another caliber.

I switched because of reliability, functionality, and durability.

Like older sports cars, 1911s have soul and are a joy to drive, but they also take very frequent maintenance and upkeep to keep running like a top. Polymer striker-fired pistols are like Hondas; they may be boring, but they always work. You don't have to inspect the welds and feed lips on your carry mag, or tighten a bunch of screws regularly with a modern pistol.

I was taking a class on very up close and personal encounters (0-10 feet), and even though I have over 50,000 rounds of 1911 shooting behind me, I failed to drop the safety about a quarter of the time. The grip safety failed to properly engage a few times as well. Left handed draw was tough, and left handed shooting only slightly easier. And reloads during a tussle were nearly impossible without a tapered magazine or a magwell. All of that went away when I switched to the XDm in appendix carry.

JMB's 1911 is a durable pistol, but I was carrying a short-barreled aluminum-frame pistol. The tradeoffs to make it concealable also made it less durable. Even though steel is tougher than polymer, it's hard to argue that a Glock, XDm, or M&P won't make it to over 30K rounds (assuming regular maintenance, etc). I chose lightweight polymer over steel, since I really don't trust aluminum as a durable frame material.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I have friends who carry steel revolvers, and who carry Kel-Tec PF9s. I went to the XDm because it fit me better than the S&W M&P, had more capacity, and had a better trigger. I also wanted a pistol I could use in competition (5.25), for tactical carry (4.5 threaded), and for concealed carry (3.8), depending on where life takes me.

I too am a big fan of 1911's and have an Officers ACP that I've carried a lot. With kids, competition shooting and practice, etc., I don't have time to shoot a bunch of different carry guns on a consistent basis. I'm a big believer that whatever you choose to carry you need to shoot it regularly. I live in a warm climate and I wanted something small so that I can carry when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. For me the Kahr PM9 fit the bill and I'm very happy with it. Not the capacity of some other guns, but small and I always carry it. I keep a XDm in my vehicle, but the Kahr is always on my person.

The subcompact's from Springfield now are sure great looking guns, and owning a couple of XDm's it's a platform I have a lot of faith in. There is a reason the 1911 just celebrated it's 100th anniversary, but the reliability of some of the newer polymer guns is sure hard to ignore. There have been some pretty grueling torture tests done on the Springfields and they always seem to go bang. The purpose of a defensive pistol is extremely important if it's ever needed. I think I might be tempted to put my love affair with a certain platform aside to get the tool that's most likely to be on my person and ready to function if I should ever need it.