Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625..4in or 5in?

tewlman

You need to define the gun's mission. If you have to choose one, and ever intend on shooting IDPA, there is a 4 inch barrel maximum. The 5 inch barrel mitigates muzzle rise slightly so it is a slight advantage in USPSA matches where they are legal. As a range gun, both would be fine with the nod to the 5" for slight comfort and sighting advantages. For a defensive gun around the house, I would go with the shorter barrel. The 625 is a fine gun and you will enjoy it if you like dealing with the moonclips.

idpa? you mean people still shoot that? :lol: The only idea i have in mind is for uspsa, and then only as a second gun when local matches let me shoot twice. its a nice break from open and makes you look at the world completely different!

I like the 4" gun, personally.

Disclaimer: I do not have a 5" S&W. I do have a 2", 4", and 6" though ;)

My SASS Colt SAA are both 5.5", but you can eat a sandwich during a cowboy action stage...heck, you can fire up the grill, shoot the cow, grind it into hamburger, plant the onions, hoe, weed, water, and pick the onions...but I digress...so the "fast turning radius" feel of a 4" v. 5" gun is a moot point in that game.

My favorite 625 is a 4" with a fiber front sight (the fiber sight is not an option, since I'm old and my eyes don't work). It just seems to...well, corner better than the longer barrel. Kind of like the current trend in shorty open guns :)

Alex

I have both. I prefer the 5". For some reason, I am more accurate with it under match conditions. I don't know if it's balance or that extra inch or a better barrel, but whatever it is it works for me!

I agree on the 5". I shoot the 4" for IDPA but am considering a 5" for ICORE and IPSC. The extra length in the sights is nice for longer shots. Love the 45ACP for reloading and BIG holes in the taget.