Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drop a mag at the wrong time

FullThr0ttle21

Last year at Open Nat'ls somehow I locked my Double Alpha holster after load and make ready. Almost gave myself a wedgie at the start signal until I realized my holster was locked. blink.gif No idea why I did that but wasted at least 2 seconds.

I did it Saturday, I've been shooting Production but shot the last couple of matches in Single Stack. Shot my first match in Limited on Saturday, on one stage I shot the first array of 3 targets and planned to shoot the next 2 while running to the next shooting position. Sure enough, I dropped the mag after target 4 even though there was another target beside it. Fortunately the run was long enough that it didn't cost me much time at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I started USPSA in Single Stack, (mucho mag changes) and never "accidentally" hit my mag release moving on a stage even after I switched to Limited with an STI Edge, however...started shooting OPEN in .38 SuperComp a few months ago, and now I draw and land the right hand thumb on the safety like your supposed to.. and bang bang etc....start moving and for some wierd reason as I move and shoot or move to another array the thumb slides off the safety and down in the area of the mag release...in the last month I have dropped 4-5 almost full or half full big sticks or 140's in the dirt when I should be shooting,....last one was on a run and gun 28 round hoser down to the last port with a bear trap and 2 clams open-shut, (gotta be quick and focused to get 4 shots out before they close), I had a great run and time going....got to and stomped on the trap, (thumb had slid down there... again!!) and ...bloop....big stick hits the ground, clams slam shut,.:surprise: ...hammer in another mag....now I get 2 head shots in the tiny A zone square at 15 yards...:angry2: ......anyway....this stuff can get in your head, especially when you dont know where it comes from, so this weeks match i caught myself in the middle of a run on an array of 6 steel poppers...saw my thumb by the mag button, stopped shooting for a couple seconds and moved it back on top where it belongs, and saved a potential mag dump.....awareness of a weakness is a good thing, the tough part is trying to correct a fault you never had before and not knowing how....:blink:

(also sounds like that RO may have been new, or too itchy to get to the "show clear" mode)

my first time running a limited gun, I only had 3 mags. Go for a reload way too fast, and those one of those mags through a port and out of play. Totally not embarrassing on video.

Yesterday at multi-gun, it was a shotgun stage that required you to reload about 12. I promised to be clean up for the team since I'm the fastest loading off my my Otto vest. Well I would have been, if I put it on right... Instead the buzzer goes off, and as I break the first shot my vest hits the ground. It's pretty hard to load quickly when you have to run back through the stage picking dirty shells off the ground...

The worst part of a missplaced mag change is to get the focus following the mags on the ground...

I did it at the Quebec Provincial last week... I had a good and agressice plan, but I don't know why, I pushed the mag release after 2 target, and sith the mag went my focus ... leading me to forgot 2 classic target and 2 poppers... 100 pts penalties... Plus another miss further due to frustration.

And the RO tried to warn me legally by giving me a long "iiiifffffff Fiiiinnnnnnissshed, unload and show clear" , but too bad, I didn't hear him due to frustration...

But I take it very Zen after all. I asked myself 2 questions:

#1 - Marc, did you have fun shooting this stage, and do you want to have fun shooting the remaining 5 stages...?

#2 - Marc, did you learn something out of this experience?

After answering myself yes for both question, I relaxed a bit and was pretty good on following stages, with 2 of my best stages scores.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The worst part of a missplaced mag change is to get the focus following the mags on the ground...

I did it at the Quebec Provincial last week... I had a good and agressice plan, but I don't know why, I pushed the mag release after 2 target, and sith the mag went my focus ... leading me to forgot 2 classic target and 2 poppers... 100 pts penalties... Plus another miss further due to frustration.

And the RO tried to warn me legally by giving me a long "iiiifffffff Fiiiinnnnnnissshed, unload and show clear" , but too bad, I didn't hear him due to frustration...

But I take it very Zen after all. I asked myself 2 questions:

#1 - Marc, did you have fun shooting this stage, and do you want to have fun shooting the remaining 5 stages...?

#2 - Marc, did you learn something out of this experience?

After answering myself yes for both question, I relaxed a bit and was pretty good on following stages, with 2 of my best stages scores.

Good way to handle the operator malfunctions.

I appreciate the way RO's say "iiiiiiffffff YOU are fiiiinnnnished???" even though I've never heeded the hint. :blush:

DNH

As a newby, I used to shoot a little bit of revolver, ss major, production and limited. I was having fun with all of them but kept myself confused for quite some time.

I still like the variety but now shoot, Single Stack minor, 10 rounds......production, 10 rounds, Limited 10, 10 rounds.

Stage analysis and execution have become much easier.

Just my $.02

Joe