Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What 45ACP brass will you NOT reload for matches?

GregJ

AMERC and any of the ones with dates/numbers goes into the someday to be recycled trash bucket. SPP goes into a separate bucket maybe to get used one day but usually given away to somebody who wants it.

Everything else gets used in matches from local to Area matches.

Don't understand the R-P and CBC problems in .45 some people have. They work as well as any other case for me, including Winchester and Starline.

Al

I inspect, and measure each case before reloading them, and when they start getting too short, put them in the recycle bin, but, I've had several Remington cases that looked, and measured fine, and actually had bullets fall in to the cases, while reloading them, like they hadn't been resized. :surprise:

I've had a number of AMERC and *I* brass that bulged enough when a bullet was seated that they would not go all the way into the chamber of a match barrel. Inconsistent case thickness I suppose. That makes a horrible jam during a match, especially after you've rapped the back of the slide a time or 2 and really gotten it jammed in there good! I now cull all of those headstamps, and SP brass. YMMV

Good Luck and Good Shooting,

Tommy

• 4 months later...

I've still been pondering this, and have a question for those of you that do not sort your brass (except for Amerc) - and that is what brand sizing die do you use?

I use Hornady dies in my LNL AP, and wonder if the sizing die may not be sizing quite enough. I just made sure my sizing die was just touching the shell plate, and tried some CBC and R-P cases with 200gr Bayou SWC, crimp of .4695 - .470, OAL 1.245, and they dont pass the thumb press.

In the other stations I use the Powder Funnel expander in the Hornady Powder drop with the powder-through linkage, an RCBS lock-out die, Hornady seating die, and RSBS taper crimp die.

Thoughts?

I'm with ProGunGuy on this one, I load anything that looks good and keep a box for all the small primer brass I run into.

I agree, why throw away good brass just because it has a small primer. When you get enough you can reload it or sell it to someone who likes small primer .45

I did a little test with a friends RCBS sizing die. I took 3 CBC and 3 R-P brass, ran them through my Hornady dies, then did a thumb press check against the side of the bench. That's the first pic. The three in the front are all R-P, the back are all CBC .

Pulled those bullets, did the same with the RCBS sizing die with 6 new bullets, and there was quite a bit of reduction in the amount of setback with the RCBS sizing die. Second pic, again, the three in the front are all R-P, the back are all CBC.

I think I'm going to try the EGW-U die. Not sure what a difference .001" is going to make but it can't hurt.

post-31828-0-42856600-1344388104_thumb.j

post-31828-0-98261300-1344388113_thumb.j

Edited by GregJ

I think I've found the reason why some headstamps like R-P and CBC dont hold a bullet as well as other headstamps --- it's the bullet. Or specifically in this case, the Bayou 200g SWC bullets.

Last night I seated 230g RN jacketed Rose bullets in the same cases, using my normal Hornady sizing die, and the most setback I could get after doing a press check was about .010". This is a significant difference. It appears the copper-brass provides a much higher adhesion factor than the moly-brass. Of course, this is very unscientific. The real test will be at the range this weekend.

I really like the Bayou bullets, but I really hate sorting out all the brass more. Good thing I'm almost out of Bayous and have 5 cases of Rose 230s sitting on the floor. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

I chuck all AMERC brass ito the scrap pile. Whenb I shot a lot of bullseye pistol I kept the ammo segregatwed by headstamp. For the usual pistol games I use mixed headstamp brass, W-W, R-P, CBC, Federal, various miliotary headstamps.

I've still been pondering this, and have a question for those of you that do not sort your brass (except for Amerc) - and that is what brand sizing die do you use?

I use Hornady dies in my LNL AP, and wonder if the sizing die may not be sizing quite enough. I just made sure my sizing die was just touching the shell plate, and tried some CBC and R-P cases with 200gr Bayou SWC, crimp of .4695 - .470, OAL 1.245, and they dont pass the thumb press.

In the other stations I use the Powder Funnel expander in the Hornady Powder drop with the powder-through linkage, an RCBS lock-out die, Hornady seating die, and RSBS taper crimp die.

Thoughts?

I only sort my brass for signs of damage and to separate the LP from the SP. I use Dillon dies and have experienced no problems with them.