Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

light springs = frame damage?

LGator

Since everyone is chiming in - in my .40 I'm running a 14# recoil spring and a 21# main spring. Why? B/c that is what my gunsmith, who I trust completely and who knows what he is doing, told me to use. He said I could use either a 16# or 14#, but not to go any lower than a 14#. I asked him about using a 12# spring, and he said that he's seen too many otherwise perfectly running .40s lunch on themselves using a 12# spring and shear their bbls. And my gunsmith is a big proponent of using a shock buff.

Since everyone is chiming in - in my .40 I'm running a 14# recoil spring and a 21# main spring. Why? B/c that is what my gunsmith, who I trust completely and who knows what he is doing, told me to use. He said I could use either a 16# or 14#, but not to go any lower than a 14#. I asked him about using a 12# spring, and he said that he's seen too many otherwise perfectly running .40s lunch on themselves using a 12# spring and shear their bbls. And my gunsmith is a big proponent of using a shock buff.

How could using a 12lbs shear a bbl? That doesn't even make sense. You might get frame battering, but shear a barrel. How could that happen from a light recoil spring? I don't see how it is physically possible, please educate me.

I don't know the specifics. This is what my gunsmith, who has been building championship wining guns for over 10 years, told me. His actual words were, "If you elect to run a 12 make sure you have a pretty heavy hammer spring. Please

I would feel better with a 14# spring though." As BE and others have said, they haven't had any problems with running a light <14# recoil spring. I wasn't posting to say I was right or that others were wrong, just what I was using and why.

If you email or PM me, I can give you his name.

Ok, got the gun back from my 'smith. He didn't cringe when I told him I run a trimmed 12.5# ISMI spring. He did tell me to keep an eye around the front of the frame rails for cracks, but didn't think that would be a problem. He is not a fan of buffs and from my experiences with them I agree.

He did change my mainspring (or hammer spring) to a heavier one. I was running a 16# ISMI. He said he's found a light mainspring can cause erratic primer ignition or FTF's. I think he installed a 19# spring.

I don't think his heavier mainspring changed the way the gun runs or the sights track so I'm going to keep it in (for now).

-Luther

Every one has a gun guru, my self included, Mine is Fred Craig now i'm not saying that he gave me this advice, but he did tell me if it works use it if you shoot better use it, I think he was refering to the mental aspect of the game, If you believe it helps you shoot better it will! As with martial arts, after you reach a point, it's all in the brain pan. :D:D

Later, Ivan

SCS Vegas

• 2 weeks later...

what would you guys recommend for a 5" gun chambered in .45 ACP shooting factory loads (Federal American Eagle)?? I'm guessing a buff will be necessary, correct? Can I still drop my spring weights down using factory loads?

Since everyone is chiming in - in my .40 I'm running a 14# recoil spring and  a 21# main spring.  Why?  B/c that is what my gunsmith, who I trust completely and who knows what he is doing, told me to use.  He said I could use either a 16# or 14#, but not to go any lower than a 14#.  I asked him about using a 12# spring, and he said that he's seen too many otherwise perfectly running .40s lunch on themselves using a 12# spring and shear their bbls.  And my gunsmith is a big proponent of using a shock buff.

How could using a 12lbs shear a bbl? That doesn't even make sense. You might get frame battering, but shear a barrel. How could that happen from a light recoil spring? I don't see how it is physically possible, please educate me.

Improper fitting (usually from squaring the radiused cut at the back of the bottom lugs on an unramped barrel)

Spring irrelevant.

Since everyone is chiming in - in my .40 I'm running a 14# recoil spring and  a 21# main spring.  Why?  B/c that is what my gunsmith, who I trust completely and who knows what he is doing, told me to use.  He said I could use either a 16# or 14#, but not to go any lower than a 14#.  I asked him about using a 12# spring, and he said that he's seen too many otherwise perfectly running .40s lunch on themselves using a 12# spring and shear their bbls.  And my gunsmith is a big proponent of using a shock buff.

Improper fitting (usually from squaring the radiused cut at the back of the bottom lugs on an unramped barrel)

Spring irrelevant.

Thanks Renee.

Seems everyone has a different idea on springs and buffs.

My first thought is how the gun feels in your hand. I had one that

was beating the frame and slide with a 10lb spring, but you could

feel the slide hitting during recoil, so i bumped up to a 12lb and everything

runs fine now. So far as what weight spring to use, I think its what

feel your looking for when the gun recoils.

Just my .02