Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&A magwell and wilson etm mags

jmnjoeyd1

Looking to see is anyone else is using this combination. The gun is a Sig 1911 and the issue im having is I dont get the positive feel when seating a mag under pressure and after a couple times of reloading, fire a shot and the mag falls out or dosent feed the next round I find myself double and triple checking after seating a mag which is burning precious time. I like the S&A magwell and the wilson etm mags are great but I need a little more extension on the basepad as they seem to be too flush when seated. Anyone tried the Dawson basepads? Other than the Dawsons Im not too sure what other options are out there.

Thanks, Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Les Baer with an Ed Brown magwell/mainspring housing. I run Wilson ETM's with Dawson no-gap basepads, and they work great, and seat easily with 8rds. (I am assuming we are talking .45 ACP here?) They also work on my STI Spartan with Dawson no-gap or standard magwell inserts, and also with my STI Trojan that has a Techwell! (YMMV)

On my .45 with a S&A magwell, for reloads I use McCormick Power Mag Plus 8 rd with the McCormick extended base pad. It gets the bottom of the pad well clear of the magwell for positive insertion. To start a stage (no pressure), I use a Tripp Cobra mag (I have more of those).

I have a Les Baer with an Ed Brown magwell/mainspring housing. I run Wilson ETM's with Dawson no-gap basepads, and they work great, and seat easily with 8rds. (I am assuming we are talking .45 ACP here?) They also work on my STI Spartan with Dawson no-gap or standard magwell inserts, and also with my STI Trojan that has a Techwell! (YMMV)

You use the no-gap basepads, but not the no-gap magwell? Why didn't you just get the gap basepads? With the front of the no-gap pads cut so far back, are you at all concerned about over-inserting the mag on a slidelock reload? I'm asking because I have a bunch of ETMs with no-gap pads, and would rather not swap pads all the time for different 1911s.

I like the Dawson pads. I checked my Trophy Match in the USPSA box, and there is a little bit of room. I'm contemplating gluing a rubber pad to the bottom to cushion them a little from the concrete floor of the indoor range. It would have to be thin, like a piece of bicycle innertube or something.

I do use the no-gap basepads and magwell inserts on my Spartan with the Dawson Ice magwell. The Dawson Ice magwell is the same, it's the inserts that are gap or no-gap. BTW, I have both inserts. The no-gap pads work with either. I was also pointing out that the no-gap pads also work on my other single stacks (Les Baer and Trojan) without the Dawson Ice magwell. Hope this explains it better! :blink:

That's what I run on my Kimber Gold Match II, S&A Arched MSH, Wilson ETM mags with the Dawson alum base pads. It works quite well for me. I've been thinking about getting the magwell blended to the gun, but may wait until next winter. I tried the Dawson ICE magwell, and the DP basepads with ETM mags, but never got used to the magwell and often wouldnt seat mags completely.

I ended up getting the dawson aluminum basepads. I must have ordered the ones for the gap magwell. I had to file the front down to fit. They dont offer as much extension as I hoped for. A guy I shoot with has the dawson mags with basepads like these https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000AA0-1260218910 They have more meat to them and are easier to seat. However they dont offer them in .45 . Bummer