Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rem 700 build troubles

ryant357

i am tying to build a remington 700 for general purpose hunting/practical marksman comps and so far have come up with a mcree percision folding stock LH i won at a tactical match

a badger ord 20 moa pic rail scope base and from the same match and am meeting with a guy about trading my m1a scout squad in a troy chassi with lots of nm parts and 11 mags + bipod for a uso 3.2-17x tpal scope+rings and leveler. i have a friend who is an amazing armorer who is getting ready to go to the 700 custom build gunsmith coarse and need a barrel blank and 700 action+ trigger to work on and would do mine for free at the school and i have the utmost confidence in him and know that he would do a good job so heres the prob... remington doesn't sell unbarrelled actions and iam a lefty so brownells is out and i would rather not have to purchase a new rifle only to take the barrel off and replace it. does anyone else have a similar problem finding this stuff or am i just not looking in the right places? i wouldn't mind a old used rifle i could part out if the price was right, but again that stuffs just hard to find for a lefty.

Not sure were you are located, but try calling any and all local gunshops that sell used guns. This is a prime time of the year to pick up something that was sold after hunting season. (there was a lefty .270 rem 700 in the classifieds in the last few days, but it was NOT a project cutting up kind of piece.)

My second suggestion and one that would settle the matter would be to order you one from Surgeon. :devil:

Call some of the custom gun builders like GA Precision, Louisiana Precision, Gruning Precision, BlackOps Precision, Venom Tactical, etc and see if they may have a left hand available that they could sell you. These guys are going to have a better chance of getting a Rem 700 Left hand than most folks. If the custom builders can not help you out, I would try and get lucky in finding a used Rem 700 left hand.

If that fails, your only option is to go with a custom built action.

thanks guys i was also told that 7m 08, .243, .260 rem, .338fed, .358 win all have a .473 bolt face and short action so all it would need is a rebarrel/rechamber... which my buddy would be doing anyway at that course. so looking for a donor rifle in those caliber has broaden my search. and i was hoping to not have to spend a $1000 on a custom action+trigger+ barrel was hoping if i could to walk away with all three for around a grand if at all possible. i would appreciate it if anyone finds one they could let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, for precision shooting, some guys like shooting the "wrong" sided action - ie right hand guys shooting left hand actions (your trigger hand never leaves the stock), maybe a right hand action would work for you?

+2 on check snipershide on the forum, there are bare actions of all types there all the time.

Or pawnshops for a beater.... who cares what it looks like, its being redone anyway.

X2 on the pawnshops. I just saw a pretty clean Remmy 700 with older model trigger in 270 for $400. Great place to start. Had a laminate stock, scope and 1 piece base. Sell the extra stuff off it for $100-$150, you are into the action, trigger and bottom metal for $250-$300.

Get a Rock Creek barrel in your contour and caliber, send it to a good smith (I chose Long Rifles, Inc, but if your friend will do the smithing for free, do that), and you have a great rifle for very little coin.

For instance, I started with this:

2011-10-27_17-03-06_154.jpg

And after some work at Long Rifles, Inc, I have this:

2011-12-09_18-45-17_502.jpgShooting this good during load development:

2011-12-11_19-45-09_964.jpg

Remington buys their barrels in bunches at a VERY cheap price so by cutting the barrel out of the price for the action you're not really cutting the price a great deal.

I think in the past Rem paid 8 bucks a barrel...and I'm not talking 50 years ago .

Get the barreled action and then send it with your buddy to the school. They can remove it easily.

JK