Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full frame magnification glasses?

KungFuNerd

Going back and forth on this....

I got some cheap +1.5 Safety Glasses (full frame not Bifocal).

They flare badly in indoor range lighting so I haven't been using them.

Fine outdoors though.

When I wear them or another pair of Full frame reading glasses and shoot with both eyes open the Front sight is Sharp and almost looks like a Red Dot sight.

Far targets are of course not sharp but terribly blurry.

Has anyone tried this?

When I use non corrective safety glasses I can 'see' the front sight but can't see it Sharp.

I wear Glasses for reading and mild distance correction.

Been trying to decide I NEED prescription safety glasses.

I've been playing around with the stick on reading lenses on my right lens of my shooting glasses. Since its a stick on, I can position it almost anywhere (I put it on the top half of my lens) on the lens. The left lens is the regular lens of my shooting glasses. Been able to shoot with this with both eyes open, have to get use to it.

I switched back to shooting open for upcoming state match but will continue with this set up after that match and shoot production.

Haven't tried it indoors as we don't have an indoor range in my area.

You might want to contact Decot about prescription shooting glasses. Here is an article to read. There are a few others that are on point.

+1 for DECOT my scores went up 30% when using their corrected lenses to see front sight clearly. I'm back in the game with iron sights.

I am getting old eyes before by time due to being very far sighted. I didn't even notice until I started to teach my kids how to shoot. Ripped the scopes off my 22's and.... the front sight is not to clear. This prompted my first trip to the eye doctor, ever, at 36. Turns out, unless I am looking a long way out, my eyes are in a constant state of focus. My doctor said, "You work really hard to see, but you don't know it because you have been doing it since you were born". I have better than 20/20 but the close stuff, like reading, is starting to get troublesome.

What is the point. I use a +.75 to read comfortably but usually don't bother unless I am going to be a while. For shooting I use a +.50 on my dominate eye and nothing on the other. I shoot both eyes open. I trained my self as a teenager to shoot archery with both eyes and it now works with any type of shooting non magnified. I can shoot fine with out, at first, but I get less effective the longer the range session is. I had glasses made here. I made mine like computer glasses. only just the RH eye. I don't know if is is necessary but I left a note in the comment section that my unusual order was intentional.

zennioptical.com

Don't expect any customer service. Your on your own. Use this to figure out what you want. zennioptical.com/prescription. Order a couple different options (there only $7). Figure out what works. Then order the style, coatings, tints, you like. You could end up with some really nice glaces for less than one trip to the range.

I'm not a competition shooter, but I am planning on attending a couple of IDPA matches this summer. I'm sure it will be a humbling experience.

• 2 weeks later...

OK....

I put one +1.25 Stickon lens on my ICE Glasses.

Put it high like a reverse BiFocal.

My Sights fall right in line with the magnified Lens and looks nice and Sharp.

Reloads and gun manipulation and the area in front of me are unmagnified.

Nice.

Having only my dominant eye in focus gives me less double vision and now I am getting much better at shooting with both eyes open.

THANKS.

I see custom prescription safety glasses in my future

• 1 month later...

I'm 54 and need +2.00 readers now. On my last trip to the eye doc, I was informed that I need a +1.00 distance script too. So I went to Zenni Optical and ordered glasses with +1.00 in the left eye and +2.00 in the right for front sight focus. I put the glasses on when I arrive at the range and my brain adapts to the different magnifications and I don't even notice. This has really helped my shooting. Zenni order form is pretty straight forward, just fill in the blanks. You do need to know your pupil distance(PD)in MM's.

where did you buy the stickon lens?

Best price I've found is Grainger. If you can have them delivered to one of their locations for pick up there are no shipping charges and they are usually available in a day or so at most.