Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

can i safely dry fire a SW 617 w/out a firing pin?

gcambi

gcambi, you said without the firing pin, and I can see no problem that way. I have the older model and taking out the firing pin is a bear. I take it the newer ones, just remove the sideplate and pull the pin and it come out? As long as it is not considered practise I guess it would be legal in the revo world. :cheers: later rdd

You're perfectly fine dry-firing a 617 with a stock factory firing pin. It is dimensioned in such a way that it will not contact the chamber edges.

On the other hand, if you have a C&S extended firing pin installed, do not dry-fire it without snap caps or you will ding the chamber edges.

You're perfectly fine dry-firing a 617 with a stock factory firing pin. It is dimensioned in such a way that it will not contact the chamber edges.

My experience is consistent with what Mike says. I used to dry fire with empty cartridges in the chambers but they deformed quickly so I gave up. No issues here.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this necro-thread, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents wirth.

I picked up this brand new 617 a couple days back, smoothed up the action and commenced to do some dry firing. After maybe 1,000 pulls I noticed that I was indeed dinging the cylinder. Again, this is a NIB S&W 617, with all factory parts & pieces...

No more dry firing WITHOUT a snap cap/spent shell for me!

DSC06680.jpg

DSC06679.jpg

DSC06676.jpg

OH BOY! do I feel stupid...

Opened up the sideplate again. I noticed the firing pin retaining pin had fallen out last time I was in there. That's why the firing pin was able to contact the cylinder! :blush:

I was fortunate to find the pin on the floor at my work bench. I put it back in and no more firing pin hits on the cylinder