Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Limited gun finished!

Shadyscott999

Thought some might be interested in a review of the custom 2011 USPSA Limited gun I am having built by Jeff Abernathy.It started it's life with me as a used STI Eagle in 40 S&W.IMAG0445.jpg<br IMAG0505.jpgWhile the gun ran well, I thought there was room for improvement. I started my search for a reputable 2011 expert on the east coast. After much research, and seeing a custom build in this months Combat Handguns I contacted Jeff Abernathy in Mt. Holly NC.

http://abernathygunworks.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Abern...64135597035219

Jeff was very personable and invited me to come visit his shop about 1.5 hours from me. I took him up on his offer. I am glad I did. No CNC machines, just a basement shop in Mt. Holly NC. Now this shop is filled with Bridgeport Mills, lathes, and all the finest machine shop equipment money could buy... in 1952. I LIKE it.

It was then, that I found out Jeff was the son of the famous Tommy "Tommy Guns" Abernathy. He took over the business when his father passed in 2008. Enough bio, on to the guns.

Edited by Shadyscott999

Did I mention Jeff has a pistol range out the back door of his shop? More on that later.

So, he tears into my STI and without pushing, starts making suggestions on making a good gun better and more reliable.

Trigger was about 3.25#'s and not so crisp. So he replaced the hammer with a Ultra Low Mass Koenig Hammer. A new EGW sear, SVI Titanium sear spring. All perfectly fitted. The trigger is now a super crisp 2#'s It has to be felt to be believed.

He also fitted a new Wilson Safety, Dawson Mag catch and EGW slide lock.

ThumSafety.jpg

Did I mention that while he was working on my gun, I was in the back yard shooting about $30,000 worth of custom guns? Including the gun featured in Combat Handguns.

abernathy-custom-40.jpg

Oh yeah, he provided the ammo too. He just told me to take what i wanted out of the safe and "have at it". I like this guy!__________________

I asked Jeff what he suggested at this point to improve the gun. He suggested we lighten the slide to reduce the camming acting of the slide over the shooter hand. Ok!

They he proceeded to set up the mill to tri-top the slide.IMAG0520.jpg<br IMAG0521.jpg<br 5); ">tritopslide.jpg

Edited by Shadyscott999

Then Jeff set the mill up for the lightening slots we had agreed on.IMAG0524.jpg<br IMAG0523.jpg<oftoday, the gun went off to hard chrome. Should have it back next week. Then I will be doing some custom grip work and a few more things. I will post the final product pics when it is done.

Edited by Shadyscott999

One last picture showing the undercut trigger guard. I am going to try to get the grip stippled and painted this weekend if time allows.

I can't say enough good things about Jeff. He went out of his way to make this happen very quickly. The work is outstanding and the price was very reasonable. I highly recommend him to anyone looking to have work done.

IMAG0019.jpg

Congratulations on a great looking gun! I never thought about buying a used 2011 and having it fixed up like this, I just got my STI APEIRO so when i get it broken in maybe I will give a Jeff a call!

Thanks for posting the pics.

Thanks. The gun runs fantastically. I shot the snot out of it Sunday. I really like the lightened slide. Seems to smack me in the hand more but the muzzle flip seems greatly reduced. I can get back on target much faster than before.

Wow! Great looking piece. I really like the clean lines and the overall set up. I have had a looked at Jeff’s website, but I think you had a few things done that he doesn’t list. If I may be so nosey, about what was the cost to refurbish? Again, great looking gun.

D