Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taper Crimp Die...

Mrdwayne0405

Ok, so I have a 3 die set for .40 S&W. Do I need a taper crimp die? I just shot my first match with my reloads that I loaded last week. My accuracy was not as good as I would like. Is this because I need a taper crimp die? I have played a little more with my powder amount and have improved it a good bit, but was told I may want to get one of those dies...

If you shoot lead or especially coated bullets like Precision or Bayou, it's a good idea and recommended by the bulet mfgrs. When I started shooting Precisions, I got one, and it's one of the better things I've done for my reloading. It let me tweak my crimp to fix a feeding problem I had with my 1911s. YEMV, but it works for me.

Ok, so I have a 3 die set for .40 S&W. Do I need a taper crimp die? I just shot my first match with my reloads that I loaded last week. My accuracy was not as good as I would like. Is this because I need a taper crimp die? I have played a little more with my powder amount and have improved it a good bit, but was told I may want to get one of those dies...

The answer may depend on whose dies you own. I started out with Hornady dies a couple of years ago and discovered that their seater die design only allowed for a roll crimp, even on semi-auto cartridges that should get a taper crimp. They claimed that if you adjusted it JUST RIGHT you could get a good taper crimp out of it. In my experience that's BS. I bought a Lee FCD and all my problems went away. Hornady has since come out with new die sets that supposedly taper crimp in the seater die but I've never used them.

A more apt description of a taper crimp die is a bell removal die. What you really want to do is remove the bell put in by the expander and not much else. If your current crimp allows the rounds to drop into the chamber or a case gauge easily and the die isn't overcrimping (i.e. starting to apply a roll crimp) then a separate crimp die may not do much for you. But hey, the Lee crimp dies work great and they're cheap - if nothing else, adjusting a separate crimp die is a lot easier than adjusting crimp and seating in the same die.

if nothing else, adjusting a separate crimp die is a lot easier than adjusting crimp and seating in the same die.

I found that to be true. My loads got better after I got the hang of it. I got the bell out of my loads with that die, the bullet seating die that is. It was a pain, but I finally figured it out...

• 4 weeks later...

With .45Acp, 40 S&W, 10mm and 9mm you have to remember that the round headspaces on the front of the case so be sure you don't put too much of a crimp or the cartridge will seat too far and might not fire. Just a word of caution.