Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major wolf small rifle magnum primer

Mat Price

Has anyone ever used magnum rifle primers in 9 major or 38 super major? And if so how did they work? Because I have an over abundance of them, and I don't have a rifle to shoot them with. I'm thinking of trying them in my 9 major round which is 7.2 gr ac at 1.165 with a 124 jhp.

Has anyone used magnum rifle primers in 9 major ? I'm thinking of trying them in my 9 major round which is 7.2 gr ac at 1.165 with a 124 jhp.

Can't imagine why they wouldn't work, if your gun will

set them off. My STI TruBor sets them off 99% of the

time, so I use them for practice. My BHP (9mm minor) sets them

off 50% of the time :((

Jack

Thats what i am thinking jack. I was going to use them for practice and local matches. I have like 30K of them. I have yet to find a primer my trubor wont set off though with the ext pin. I always shoot wolf SRP and never have an issue.

I was just wondering if i would see increased presure or something. I think i am going to drop the load fronm 7.2 grains of AC to 6.7 and re chrony and work up from there.

Mat

Has anyone ever used magnum rifle primers in 9 major or 38 super major? And if so how did they work? Because I have an over abundance of them, and I don't have a rifle to shoot them with. I'm thinking of trying them in my 9 major round which is 7.2 gr ac at 1.165 with a 124 jhp.

I've run lots of SPPM, and less than 1k of SRP and/or SRPM in 9mm. The rifle primers, especially the SRPM, definately made more flash come out the barrel. I could not tell much difference in the load performance, and I did not change load data, but the rifle primers did seem to have slightly more oomph. I did/do get a few light primer strikes in Glocks, but more an issue is that running weak loads w/ SPPM caused THIS, and I venture to guess the issue would be made worse with even harder rifle primes. If you run them hot in a hammer-fired gun you should be fine.

Edited by contactcole

I used them back when it was tough to get primers. I got about 1 fail to fire out of 100. Usually at a crucial time in a match. They have been relegated to practice. I even went so far as to switch to an extended firing pin. Didn't change reliability at all. All of them have a nice strike on the primer. When I have time to pick them up (practice) and see if they will go bang a second time, it's about 50/50.

I have run CCI and Winchester and they are 100% reliable for me by comparison.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I use Tula kvb-556M in 9mm and .45 (sp Federal cases) and have never had problems with ignition in 1911s. Use 17lb mainsprings in both guns.

I used to use KVB-223 but switched to the above as the 556m have a thicker primer cup and I think that may be better in my AR.

It's handy to only have to stock one primer and never change the primer feed on a press.