Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stag Arms 3G as good as it looks?

jr. 3 gunner

I'm sure you guys could help me out here,

I'm thinking about getting the Stag Arms 3GL for my 3 gunning use and I just want to make sure that it is as good as it looks before I lay down $1500 on it. Is there anything that is prone to breaking I should watch out? Is there anything I would need to change or is it ready to go after I zero it in?

Thanks for you help

That seems like a lot of money for an AR. You might be able to build one of the same or higher quality exactly how you want it for a little cheaper. Maybe $200 or so.

I don't know if you've ever done it, but building an AR is a snap. Don't let it intimidate you. There's videos all over youtube that show you exactly how to do it.

Darren

First off, you shouldn't be paying more than $1300-1350 for it. Second, yes, it's as good as it looks, bar none! It should be ready to go, you may want to change out the carrier, buffer, or the comp but you really don't need to. Honestly, it's ready to go. Super trigger, excellent handguard, incredible stock, amazing barrel, and nice comp all for a very reasonable price. Here, read this lengthy thread on the 3G and the 3G1 rifles:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138841&st=60&p=1594734&hl=+stag%20+3g%20+dpms&fromsearch=1entry1594734

I'm sure you guys could help me out here,

I'm thinking about getting the Stag Arms 3GL for my 3 gunning use and I just want to make sure that it is as good as it looks before I lay down $1500 on it. Is there anything that is prone to breaking I should watch out? Is there anything I would need to change or is it ready to go after I zero it in?

Thanks for you help

I have not tried the 3G but I have put together a lot of rifles with Stag parts and they are the best of the middle tier guns in my opinion. The only thing I do with Stags is stake the gas key with my MOAKS tool and add a BCM extractor upgrade kit. Based on looking at the specs its the best value going in a race ready rifle right now that I would trust.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

DMC my Stag 3 G should be arriving Saturday or Monday. I will then be able to answer your question much better.However, to me saving $ 200.00 is not worth the work and aggravation involved in building an AR. And remember that there are tools that you must also buy. From the demand of the rifle and what I have heard the rifle is worth every penny. I compared it to everything out there. The only question that I had was concerning the muzzle brake. However, I was told by Stag Arms 'customer service' that the muzzle brake has been modified to correct the downward dip of the barrel. The wait time after ordering the Stag 3 G AR-15 is approximately 3 to 3 1/2 weeks not the two weeks that they tell you. But then again there is a 5 months wait time for a DPMS 3 G. There is a 4 to 6 wee wait time on the Rainier carbine.

The only bad thing so far with Stag Arms that I do not like has been their customer service. They are not eager in being helpful or informative.It could be better, much better. But then again they might be under staffed and/or over worked.

Hopefully the end product ( Rifle ) will make the wait and dealing with their 'customer service' all worth it.

Please note that you have a Stag Team 3 gun team member that participates on this forum and is very helpful. He will take the time to answer your questions. Maybe he should get a job with Stag Arms customer service for he is very enthusiastic about the Stag 3 gun!

If the Stag is $1500 now, you should check out the new Loki. They're running an opening special on it right now:

http://lokiweaponsystems.com/products/ar-15-rifles/lws-m4-forged-rifles?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=59&category_id=8

The Stag is a great rifle though!

+1 for the LOKI 3G rifle! They're a great rifle for the money.

I have not tried the 3G but I have put together a lot of rifles with Stag parts and they are the best of the middle tier guns in my opinion. The only thing I do with Stags is stake the gas key with my MOAKS tool and add a BCM extractor upgrade kit. Based on looking at the specs its the best value going in a race ready rifle right now that I would trust.

Pat

Please don't use the "tier" concept. I think most of the shooters here actually use their rifles enough to be able to know what works and what breaks, rather than rely on some sort of chart or caste system.

But what do I know? I've been using DPMS bolts in competition for 5+ years and haven't broken one yet.

What trigger does the Loki have in it?

There's an option, either the standard stoned trigger or the SSA trigger (for an additional fee of $150). The 3G already comes with a Giesselle Super 3G trigger that is amazing - not many like this trigger anywhere and it's standard on the Stag.

What trigger does the Loki have in it?

The stock LOKI 3G rifle comes with a factory trigger group that's been stoned to produce a more crisp break, it's pretty nice and way better than a factory trigger group. The SSA or S3G trigger are an option as well if you like them. LOKI will custom build each rifle so it can be made any way you want.

IMO the advantages of the LOKI over the Stag would be the carbon fiber handguard, fixed buttstock option, better muzzle brake, and a better barrel. It's a bit lighter as well. I don't run the S3G trigger so I'd install something else anyway and they can be had used for $170 or so at some gun stores.

Good luck on your decision. LOKI is the way to go.

Pat

Please don't use the "tier" concept. I think most of the shooters here actually use their rifles enough to be able to know what works and what breaks, rather than rely on some sort of chart or caste system.

But what do I know? I've been using DPMS bolts in competition for 5+ years and haven't broken one yet.

We all have our different experiences and I have found the tier system right in line with what I have seen quality wise with rifles in real life. We will have to agree to disagree on that topic. The chart itself is a great guide for someone who wants a quality M4 clone. Its not as helpful for someone wanting a three gun rifle. When I spoke of tiers are am speaking more of price point. You do get what you pay for no way around that and in the middle price point guns Stag is the best in my experience. Its main competition at its price point is Bushmaster and RRA. Lower price point guns are DPMS and Oly. Higher price point guns are Noveske, Larue, JP etc.

We can both agree that the Stag 3G appears to be a great rifle value.

Take care.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

One more question about the Loki, is it possible to get it left handed? I'm left handed and that's what I really like with the SA, I can get a left have model for $20 more.

I've shot ARs lefty quite a bit and there is no advantage to having a backwards one as long as it has a brass deflector. And I'm not sure that a non brass deflector model isn't just fine also, haven't shot one lefty.

I also can't stand the Geissele 3 gun triggers, but that's 100% personal preference.

Edited by Spiff034

One more question about the Loki, is it possible to get it left handed? I'm left handed and that's what I really like with the SA, I can get a left have model for $20 more.

Yeah, not going to get a LH upper on a LOKI rifle... Sorry. Would be funny though, Stag LH upper on a LOKI rifle :surprise: Stag is the only one I know of that makes a LH forged upper.

I don't think you'd need a LH upper though as most all the left handed shooters I know have absolutely zero issues with regular uppers on their rifles.