Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video From Today

NTD

Shot my 3rd IDPA match today. I think I did okay but there are definitely lot's of things I need to work on.

Thing's I'm seeing-

-Grip, Left hand is not cammed well and it's resulting in my thumb pointing up. Even disengaged the slide lock when it should have locked back twice today.

-Movement, I'm feeling very awkward mostly because I'm having a hard time moving rapidly and not stepping out of cover.

-Lack of Zen. On the first video, about the 18-19 second mark I anticipated slide lock. I was thinking I should be empty and wasn't. I need to just shoot and do what I need to do when the moment it needs to be done arrives.

Things I did better this time

I was more accurate, my draws where much better (thanks to all the drills I've been doing in Steve's book) I felt that my transitions were better and that I was reacquiring my sights quicker on follow ups. Still tons of work on all those areas of course but trying to find successes I can build on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0rgRP_wdQ4&list=UUaYojwzdCadcUNyIAZ5WTvQ&index=2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuHRlwTnbeM&list=UUaYojwzdCadcUNyIAZ5WTvQ&index=1&feature=plcp

You look good and honestly you are your toughest critic. Stages were you have to back up to complete the CoF are always tough. In the second video were you only supposed to shoot once at each target???

Your draw looks good so dont get to hung up on that, transitions could be worked on a bit. It looks like you did well keeping off the barrel in your second video. that was one of the tougher things for me to master. If you can keep yourself about an arms length from a barricade you can actually "slice the pie" better and quicker.

Have you shot a classifier yet?

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Yes that was John France.

ProGunGuy, Didn't get any PE's in that one, watched the video again and I can see where I might have deserved them, although I think it's hard to tell with video if it's not directly behind me, in my or the SO's line of sight.

HKguy, Yep second video was once at each target. Weird but I think it's a good test for those who are prone to an automatic pair ;) Thanks for the tips too.

Haven't shot a classifier, that will be next month's match. I've got a lot to work on, hope I can at least make Marksman...

Nate

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Yes that was John France.

ProGunGuy, Didn't get any PE's in that one, watched the video again and I can see where I might have deserved them, although I think it's hard to tell with video if it's not directly behind me, in my or the SO's line of sight.

HKguy, Yep second video was once at each target. Weird but I think it's a good test for those who are prone to an automatic pair ;) Thanks for the tips too.

Haven't shot a classifier, that will be next month's match. I've got a lot to work on, hope I can at least make Marksman...

Nate

pleas e don't take this the wrong way, but just looking the vids, your legs are way past the outside border from what I can see. they should ahve given you a PE. Its a very common mistake by new shooters.

No problem Progun, I will work on that :cheers:

I'm shooting the State Match in April so the last thing I want is to be nailed with procedurals left and right.

Edited by NTD

Nate

from watching your videos, you should easily get into marksman as long as you get your hits in. just remember some shooters (like my self) seem to shoot poorly in the classifier for what ever reason, but do well in matches. The classifier is just a snap shot at this point in time of your skills on a standardized course. you will be surprised how much you will improve over the course of a season, even if you don't train much. My first year i shot the classifier and made MM by 24ish seconds, i shot it again a year ago in april and missed SS by 2.5 seconds. When i classify this year i should be well into SS. When your at matches have some higher level shooters watch you from time to time and give you pointers.

Nate,

Very good for a third match.

Work on using cover. The SO wasn't watching or calling cover, and this is ultimately a disservice to you, as he is helping you learning bad habits. You for sure earned 2 cover PEs shooting the poppers in the first video (probably maybe more, but it's not clear). You also earned one on the second video.

Take care,

Koski

Thanks for all the advice on cover. I will do my best to be mindful of it. I got some tips on movement that I think will help me be more aware of it.

On the round dumping...Dang it seemed like every "top" guy shooting round dumped. I did a make up shot in that first video because I needed it. It was a hard cover target and I was sure I had nicked the black. But the other guys would shoot the third round prior to a reload and when you went to tape, the rounds would be nearly clover leafed. Being a newbie I am still confused on that whole issue, seems too subjective to me. :unsure:

Thanks for all the advice on cover. I will do my best to be mindful of it. I got some tips on movement that I think will help me be more aware of it.

On the round dumping...Dang it seemed like every "top" guy shooting round dumped. I did a make up shot in that first video because I needed it. It was a hard cover target and I was sure I had nicked the black. But the other guys would shoot the third round prior to a reload and when you went to tape, the rounds would be nearly clover leafed. Being a newbie I am still confused on that whole issue, seems too subjective to me. :unsure:

The problem is that it's subjective to everyone... that's how they get away with it. Oddly, the worst shooters, who are the ones who actually "need" the make up shot the most, are the ones that are most likely to get dinged. Kinda like how the top NBA superstars can't get farted on without a foul being called on the opposing player. "Round dumping" is one of those things that you always have plausible deniability with. You know you did it, they know you did it, everyone watching knows you did it... but who can prove it?

As a starting shooter at local matches, you're much better off just shooting the match without trying to game it with tactics like round dumping. Work on fundamentals and don't worry about what you can or can't get away with. After you're at the level where doing gamey stuff is the "best" way to win in IDPA, then you'll have to decide if it's worth it to you to be (what some would consider) shady with the rules or not. There are plenty of top level shooters who have come down on both sides of that debate. I know I'm not at that level yet so I'm certainly not going to advise you on that decision. :cheers:

Since you can work on your footwork and slicing the pie at home, do that. I think we all want a nice, wide, stable base when we first start shooting, but that's not an option when shooting around cover in IDPA. Get used to leaning out with close feet to shoot your first couple targets, and then take a small step with just your outside foot to slice the pie some more.

• 1 month later...