Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS dies in a 650...pros or cons compared to other mfrs in a 650?

Was wondering if the carbide RCBS are just fine in a 650. How about standard RCBS dies in a 650? Has anyone had any problems or pros/cons to this set up compared to to other mfr's carbide dies?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Standard dies? With the caveat "if you use a good case lube", SURE!

The RCBS carbide dies will work also, within limitations.

The disadvantage of using standard manufacturers dies in a progressive machine is that the mouth of the die is not radiused much on the offerings from RCBS, Lee, Lyman, etc. Dillon's dies are radiused to allow a slightly off-kilter case.

I had Redding dies before buying my 650, so all of my tool heads are filled with Redding carbide dies (.40 S&W, .223, and .357 Mag). I've never had any die related problems loading with them. I did however have to buy a few 5-packs of Dillon lock rings for the Redding die sets. Nowhere near enough room to tighten up the Redding lock rings with the dies in the Dillon tool head. You'll run into the same lock ring issue with the RCBS dies.

When I got my first Dillon just a few short years ago I went with all Dillon dies. I have since learned there are better options in other die brands depending on your needs.

I now use EGW Udie and Redding seater dies with my Dillon crimp die being the loan holdout.

If you take the time to align the dies properly at set up they will run just as fast and problem free as the Dillon widemouth dies.

One of the big things with using other manufacturers dies in a dillon, its not really worth it if you buy the 'sets' of dies. Other manufacturers sets are generally 3 die sets, size/deprime, flare, and bullet seat/crimp. You wont use the flare die, and you should seat and crimp in separate steps. Dillon die sets you get size/deprime, bullet seat, and separate crimp die. Flaring/expanding is done at the powder drop station.

Standard dies? With the caveat "if you use a good case lube", SURE!

The RCBS carbide dies will work also, within limitations.

The disadvantage of using standard manufacturers dies in a progressive machine is that the mouth of the die is not radiused much on the offerings from RCBS, Lee, Lyman, etc. Dillon's dies are radiused to allow a slightly off-kilter case.

One of the big things with using other manufacturers dies in a dillon, its not really worth it if you buy the 'sets' of dies. Other manufacturers sets are generally 3 die sets, size/deprime, flare, and bullet seat/crimp. You wont use the flare die, and you should seat and crimp in separate steps. Dillon die sets you get size/deprime, bullet seat, and separate crimp die. Flaring/expanding is done at the powder drop station.

IMO those two post sum it up. The RCBS dies will "work," but they won't "work as good" as the Dillon pistol dies.

be

Thanks for all the info.

I'm assuming that Dillon does not make .50AE dies, so I'm stuck with another mfr.

Dillon sells RCBS dies for that caliber: RCBS 50 AE 3-Die Set, Steel, Steel 49.95

Are these dies specially made for Dillon machines by RCBS for that calibre, or are they just RCBS dies for .50AE? The product description on the Dillon link says "RCBS .50 AE Custom Die Set"

Custom leads me to believe that they are different RCBS dies made for Dillon.

Edited by JC49ae

Redding sells handgun die sets for progressive machines. Knowing that the flare is done by the powder measure station, they omit the expander die, and you get a sizing die, seating die, and taper crimp die.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm assuming that Dillon does not make .50AE dies, so I'm stuck with another mfr.

Dillon sells RCBS dies for that caliber: RCBS 50 AE 3-Die Set, Steel, Steel 49.95

are they just RCBS dies for .50AE?

Yes. There's nothing "custom" about them.

I have just had a great deal of experience(not all good) with loading 50AE. The sizing die is steel. NOONE makes a carbide die. You cannot use a die for a 500S&W. That being said, you need to lubricate. I tried my favorite Hornady one shot and had a stuck case. The RCBS die doesn't size as tight as the Lee die. The Lee is on it's way back with the stuck case. I've started to use lube pads. Also, be very carefull when crimping. Too much and the bullet can be easily pushed back in the case. I purchased a second die to use as an exclusive crimp die. This is what Dillon does with their dies and is another reason they have such a good product. Don't use the Speer deep curl bullets. They still try to pass them off as Gold Dot but they aren't. The profile is different and caused many FTF. I'm using Speer FMJ 300 gr. and it works well as do the HP 325GR. You will also need the larger Dillon powder die to accomodate the powder funnel. Sorry to be so long winded but it's been a long haul to get the 50AE dialed in. PM if you have any questions.