Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing Front Sights on XDm 5.25

Bunchies95

I am looking to install the Dawson Precision front sight on my gun and am looking for the best way to remove the factory front sight. I know the front sight is fit into the dovetail pretty tight and the punch that comes with the sight is susceptible to breaking, as it is aluminium. The thought of slightly heating the slide crossed my mind, but this is probably a very bad idea. The local gunsmiths want 4-6 weeks to install it :surprise: .

I want to see if I can do it myself before having to ship it to Dawson or Springer, as I am having a hard time justifying the cost of shipping and installation. I'm wishing now that I would have had Springer install it when I had the trigger work done on the gun. Oh, well I live and learn. If I can't get it done myself, it will just have to wait until I get some downtime.

I put a Dawson front sight on my XDm 5.25. Instead of trying to bang the factory sight out I used my Dremel and one of the flat wheel tips to cut it out. Only took a couple of minutes and worked fine. I am not very handy and if I can do it anyone can, just go slow. The new Dawson sight I put in took a little work with a file to get it to fit. The tool that came with the sight worked well to tap it in. Hasn't moved.

BTW, I had a local gunsmith put a Dawson on my first XDm and he could not even get the front sight out with his press! He cut it out like I did on the 5.25.

I am not very handy and if I can do it anyone can, just go slow.

Oh, if only that were true, you don't want to know how many jacked up slides we've seen from people who did not have you basic ability, let alone the ones from people who can't use a punch either.

The punch that comes in the package is for installation, not removal. Dawson has a video on their youtube channel that will work for the average install IF you can hold the slide tightly. I only suggest using a hardened steel punch for sight removal. Some can be a bit stubborn.

Only having held but not shot a 5.25 I am wondering what is wrong with the FS that would make you want to change it out? I have a Dawson on a 1911 and it seems quite similar.

Richard

The OEM fiber optic is VERY large.

I am not very handy and if I can do it anyone can, just go slow.

Oh, if only that were true, you don't want to know how many jacked up slides we've seen from people who did not have you basic ability, let alone the ones from people who can't use a punch either.

The punch that comes in the package is for installation, not removal. Dawson has a video on their youtube channel that will work for the average install IF you can hold the slide tightly. I only suggest using a hardened steel punch for sight removal. Some can be a bit stubborn.

Thanks for the advice Scott. I plan on taking the slide to work one day and put it in the vice to work on it. If it looks like I won't be able to get it out without damaging the slide, I'll be sending the slide to you.

Only having held but not shot a 5.25 I am wondering what is wrong with the FS that would make you want to change it out? I have a Dawson on a 1911 and it seems quite similar.

Richard

The OEM fiber optic is VERY large.

The front sight is VERY large is right. I measured it at 0.150" and the Dawson in 0.100". That's a 33% reduction in size. Granted this will give me some light on either side of the front sight. It is better than having a target at 35 yards and the front sight being about the size of the target.

My XDM 5.25 had such a tight front site, I thought I would damage the slide. I ended up cutting it off with a dremel. Go slow and be very careful not to slip and bigger up the slide. I covered the area around the front sight with masking tape to help protect it.

I heated mine just a touch today and tried to punch it out with at first light force....no dice!! Tried to use more force and a bigger hammer...still no dice.....I'm at a loss here.. Why is this thing so damn tight from the factory ? I mean damn !!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody have any videos of a successful removal without jacking the slide up ?

LMAO !!

Thanks !!

4-6 weeks? I don't have a proper bench and vise so when I wanted to change the sights on my XDm I sent the slide and sights to Springer Precision and had it back in about a week (and I live on the East Coast). I can't recommend their service enough.

We have changed XD/XDM sights about every day for the last 4-5 years, and even with the experience that comes with removing that many sights, there are still days that I go over to the mill and remove them that way. If it seems super tight, it just might be.

Yea it's crazy how tight those things are in there!! Scott, why do they have so much press ? BTW after my local three gun this weekend I'm sending this thing to you guys for a trigger job and whatever other magic you might have laying around !! LOL!!

Hadley O.

Scott, my guess is that they borrow a technique from the aerospace industry - cryo. On some press-fit aircraft fixtures, they cryo the internal part in liquid nitrogen to shrink the part. They may also heat the outer part to "grow" it. When I was in the USAF, when we replaced the stabilator bushings on the F-15 fighter, we used that process to fit the new bushings in.

My WAG is that SA cryo's the front sight and maybe heats the slide just prior to installation.

Scott, my guess is that they borrow a technique from the aerospace industry - cryo. On some press-fit aircraft fixtures, they cryo the internal part in liquid nitrogen to shrink the part. They may also heat the outer part to "grow" it. When I was in the USAF, when we replaced the stabilator bushings on the F-15 fighter, we used that process to fit the new bushings in.

My WAG is that SA cryo's the front sight and maybe heats the slide just prior to installation.

Since they have oil under the sight, I don't think heating is involved but those Crotatians can put in a set of sights ;)

Ok...got the sight back in with no fuss at all...just a few small burrs...probably end up having it replaced anyway...oh well...gun is back together and ready to go!!

Head over to my page and give it a look and a like !!

Hadley O.

Edited by hammerhead1

• 3 weeks later...

OMG I just spent the better half of last night trying to beat the front sight out and it wouldnt budge! I will try the dremel tomorrow, good thing I found this thread, I havent been on here for a while... :surprise: