Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun loaded round rules - USPSA

I see a couple posts about shotgun loaded rounds, and some info has been posted to support given statements.

I looked thru the USPSA MG rules, and for all the Divisions it gives the ready condition loaded rounds. But there is no reference anywhere about after the start signal.

Most of the match rules I've read state if you can load as many as you want after the start, or that 9 max is all you can ever have in the gun during the match.

I don't see a definitive statement in the USPSA rules. To my knowledge, USPSA has always been 9 max (11 open).

anyone?

You made me actually read it:

8.1.4 Unless complying with a Division requirement (see Appendices), Rule

8.1.1 or a Load One, Shoot One stage, a competitor must not be

restricted on the number of rounds to be loaded or reloaded in a shotgun.

Written stage briefings may only stipulate when the firearm is to

be loaded or when mandatory reloads are required, when permitted

under Rule 1.1.5.2

Appendix D2

9. Ammunition capacity restrictions Maximum of 9

rounds loaded,

Max. of 8 in the

case of Rule

8.1.1.2 Loaded (Option 2): magazine filled and fitted (if applicable),

chamber(s) empty and the action closed.

So I have been told that USPSA was 8+1(9 max) but after reading this I see no limit on "capacity" and 8.1.1 says "a competitor must not be restricted on the number of rounds to be loaded or reloaded in a shotgun."

So I hope to hear the answer too.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

ChuckS, that discussion is irrelevant. The question was related to USPSA rules.

While I understand some changes are in the works, however, the current rules would be in the 2009 Shotgun Rules In Appendix D1-D3, number 9 is Ammunition Capacity Restrictions. 11/10 for open and 9/8 for all other divisions. The -1 is for rule 8.1.1.2 which is an empty chamber start. David E. correctly cited this rule. The capacity restriction means your shotgun can not hold more than the specified number of rounds.

The 8.1.4 rule prohibits a WSB from requiring a competitor to load a certain number of rounds, basically a freestyle underscoring as it relates to loading the shotgun.

ChuckS, that discussion is irrelevant. The question was related to USPSA rules.

While I understand some changes are in the works, however, the current rules would be in the 2009 Shotgun Rules In Appendix D1-D3, number 9 is Ammunition Capacity Restrictions. 11/10 for open and 9/8 for all other divisions. The -1 is for rule 8.1.1.2 which is an empty chamber start. David E. correctly cited this rule. The capacity restriction means your shotgun can not hold more than the specified number of rounds.

The 8.1.4 rule prohibits a WSB from requiring a competitor to load a certain number of rounds, basically a freestyle underscoring as it relates to loading the shotgun.

For the shotgun..It can hold more.. you just can't put more in.. right?

Incorrect. It is a capacity restrition, not a "Load no more than" restriction.

If the rule, no matter which set, never allows more than 8 in the tube, I configure my shotgun to not hold more than 8. At some matches, if you can put in more after the beep, I run a 9 round tube. That one round "on the way in" at "Standby" can save a few seconds on a stage or two. I did it 3 times total last year. Most times, it is a wash.

Incorrect. It is a capacity restrition, not a "Load no more than" restriction.

If the rule, no matter which set, never allows more than 8 in the tube, I configure my shotgun to not hold more than 8. At some matches, if you can put in more after the beep, I run a 9 round tube. That one round "on the way in" at "Standby" can save a few seconds on a stage or two. I did it 3 times total last year. Most times, it is a wash.

USPSA.. max is 8+1.. there's no rule baout not allowing it to hold more. It's the same wording for Proiduciton and Limited 10 magazines

Mark.. was there an offical ruling on that somehwere?

The rule does not say max capaicty.. just 'loaded'

Shotgun: Maximum of 9 rounds loaded

Production: Yes, maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine after the start signal

If it is actually capacity.. you have to ban > 10 round mags for Open?

Edited by D.Hayden

USPSA.. max is 8+1.. there's no rule baout not allowing it to hold more. It's the same wording for Proiduciton and Limited 10 magazines

Mark.. was there an offical ruling on that somehwere?

The rule does not say max capaicty.. jurt 'loaded'

Shotgun: Maximum of 9 rounds loaded

Production: Yes, maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine after the start signal

It says in Appendix D2/3 9. Ammunition capacity restrictions / Maximum of 9 rounds loaded, Max. of 8 in the case of Rule

I do see the confusion and maybe it will get cleared up in the next rule set.

Edited by MarkCO

APPENDIX D4 — Production Division

(9) Maximum ammunition capacity - maximum 10 rounds loaded in any magazine after the start signal

Limited/Tactical Division Shotgun

(9) Ammunition capacity restrictions - Maximum of 9 rounds loaded, Max. of 8 in the case of Rule 8.1.1.2

8.1.1.2 Loaded (Option 2): magazine filled and fitted (if applicable),

chamber(s) empty and the action closed.

Edited by DocMedic

Doc.. which way are you saying for the shotgun? Can hold more, or Can't?

Passing the division max is easy.. just if you have the ability or not.. is the question

I'm saying what the rule says, your shotgun is Restritcted to only holding 9. So if your shotgun *CAN* hold 10, you are in open. So your gonna need a plug.

This bit Taran in the ass one year when FB3G were running USPSA rules and he was bumped to open.

Edited by DocMedic

I see what you and Mark are saying.. I don't read it that way.. probably not the first time

So using > 10 round mags for an open shotgun.. gets you what? Shoot for no score? DQ?

ETA: I'd treat this just like the pistols.. capacity can be greater, but you beter not exceed it. I shoot an 8 shot in Revolver, I use 17 round mags for Production..

Edited by D.Hayden

This bit Taran in the ass one year when FB3G were running USPSA rules and he was bumped to open.

I am pretty sure that FB was running FB rules. Specifically:

"6.6.7 Tactical Shotguns may only hold 8 rounds maximum in the tube.

Ghost loading is specifically not allowed."

FB3G_2010_rules.pdf

Later,

Chuck

PS: It wasn't that big of a bite: Taran won the match!

I am pretty sure that FB was running FB rules. Specifically:

"6.6.7 Tactical Shotguns may only hold 8 rounds maximum in the tube.

Ghost loading is specifically not allowed."

FB3G_2010_rules.pdf

Later,

Chuck

PS: It wasn't that big of a bite: Taran won the match!

Or that. :ph34r: