Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to buy for a varmit rifle??

gingerbreadman

I think the next addition to my collection should be a varmit rifle, i have been looking at loading data and i am leaning towards a 22.250..... what is your oppinion on the caliber versus say .223 and 220 swift????

the next question is what gun do i get??? I like a wood stock with a thick forarm and large monte carlo cheak piece and i would like a heavy barrel as well. whats out there???

I would like the gun for gophers to coyotes and plan on lots of plinking with it......

-gbm-

What's a "varmit" rifle???  Oh you mean VARMINT.  Sorry...didn't want to be a smart @$$, but it was so inviting.

For lots of plinking along with varmint shooting, I would say 223 is the way to go, unless you really like being rocked by the 22-250.

I use a .223 for all my varminting needs . You can buy ammo pretty inexpensively and out to 300 yards you own the landscape . I have a Savage 10fp with a Bushnell 6-18x44 scope on it . I upgraded to a Sharpshooter trigger and this rifle will shoot less than a half an MOA with Black Hills 69 grain bullets . I am no bench rest expert but this rifle is a dandy and anything that makes me look like I know how to shoot ought to shoot well for someone who really knows how to handle one . The only annoying feature of this rifle is that it doesnt like to feed hollowpoints with huge openings , like the ones Ultramax remanufactured ammo uses , unless you just load them one at a time .

What sort of distances are you interested in shooting?

That may limit your choices a bit.  The 22-250 is a high velocity, low bullet weight round.  It does have a distance limitation.

The 220 Swift is swift to say the least, at 4,000 ft/sec.  There is always the discussion about burning out the barrel with a 220 Swift.  A lot of ranges will not let you shoot steel with a 220 Swift.

As stated the .223 has some real advantages.  You can put a 75g. bullet in it and accurately shoot 500yds +.

The action is a matter of choice.  If you look at the bench rest guys, alot of them start with a Remington. however, Savage makes a good reciever also and the price is right.  For some reason, the Ruger action is not well represented with long distance shooters.  

You can buy out of the box shooters or buy the action and have Douglass, Krieger, etc barrel put on it.  

The twist is very important.  Some long distance guys like a 1 in 7 or 8 for the .223.

Accuracy Speaks has done a lot of work on .223s you might give them a call and get some advice or look at their web site.

You can always buy an AR then you can shoot varmints and 3Gun.

I'd use a remington receiver and have it chambered in .220 swift.  I have a 35 year old .220 swift with over 2,500 rounds though it and it still shoots.  .22-250 is good but not as cool as the swift.  .223 is a lot cheaper though but not as good at long distance but an open class AR ROCKS on dogs inside of 350.

If you're planning on a lot of shooting past 500, I'd consider other cartridges with more bullet:  6mmX, .243,  6-284 (barrel burning machine!), .25-06.

whoa!!! i got some replys here, thanks guys.......

I have 2 long range rifles (.270 and my 300 ultra) so the extream distance isnt a big factor, id like to be conifident out to 350-400ish+ yards  

I looked at load data for the 22.250 and the 220 swift and all i can see is about a 200 fps gain going with the 220 swift, i also see the 220 swift burns more powder..... I can see the advantage of the .223 but i think its just not enough caliber for my needs...... idealy id like to have a semi auto .223 and a tack punching 220 swift but funds dont allow that.....

when you guys say "AR" what gun are you talking about? and iv scene the ruger mini14 but i think there over priced for what your getting ($829.99 canadian for a blued barrel, hardwood stock model)

what am i looking at if I buy a reciever and make a custom gun? I would have to get a gunsmith to build it....

-gbm-

all right now you're talking!!!

Remington action, Jewell trigger, Hart/Krieger/Wiseman/Lilja barrel, McMillian stock, Leupold 6.5x20x50 and you're set to wreak some havoc on some "varmits".

action     $250/350

trigger      200

barrel       500

stock        525

scope       750

rings/mts   75

About $2400.00 and you are set to punch some holes.

Pretty expensive!!!

(Edited by tightloop at 5:45 pm on Feb. 10, 2003)

Quote: from tightloop on 7:34 pm on Feb. 10, 2003

all right now you're talking!!!

Remington action, Jewell trigger, Hart/Krieger/Wiseman/Lilja barrel, McMillian stock, Leupold 6.5x20x50 and you're set to wreak some havoc on some "varmits".

action     $250/350

trigger      200

barrel       500

stock        525

scope       750

rings/mts   75

About $2400.00 and you are set to punch some holes.

Pretty expensive!!!

(Edited by tightloop at 5:45 pm on Feb. 10, 2003)

that works out to about $4000 canadian..... is there any way to cut corners???? ill bite the bill on the scope as im a leopold fan but........

-gbm-

Try JP Enterprises. They offer a Remington 700 that is accurized, and tweaked for a reasonable price (I think down near $1000 US, or a little bit more, the website prices are not current). Just add optics, and go for it. John Paul (owner of JP Enterprises) will also probably be able to give you a pretty good deal on any optics you want on the rifle. His Remington 700 package looks to be a winner for varminting.

http://www.jprifles.com/

I would recommend .223 in a 1/8, or at most 1:9 twist. The 52's & 55's will fly pretty well at the distances they are good for, and the 69-77's will really reach out for ya. .223 is a lot cheaper to re-load, or buy loaded ammo for. The pressures are not ridiculous, so throat erosion will not having you re-barreling before too long. And, if you don't want to spring for brand spankin' new, then it's also an easy caliber to find used rifles in that will shoot really well (read "aren't shot out" here).

BTW, the Leupold 6.5-20 is the cat's meow if you can afford it. They also make a good 4.5-16 (I think) that would probably work well for a couple dollars less.

Regards,

That is the way I would build it, except I would put a Zeiss 6.5x20x50x30mm glass on it.

If you would like to cut cost, try George's site, I looked at it but could not see any remington stuff. but I was in a hurry.  My point is that you don't need a custom rifle.  Buy one you like over the counter and bed it and float the barrel and put on a quality scope and shoot it.  all for less than 1500 bucks.

It spoils you to have a custom rifle.  when you get one, that is the only way you want to build them, and it certainly is not cheap.  good luck

Two inexpensive tack drivers.....can be found at most shows.

Rem mod 788 in 22-250...a no fril shooter, no adj trig ($300)

or

old Rem mod 700 wood stock hvy bl in 223....($400)...take this gun to a smith an cut the barrel back to 18 or 20"

Sand paper the stocks so its a free float....put a quality scope (leupold) on it and your in business for less than $650.  

Guest Steve Harris

The strong case to the fast 22’s is for light recoil and to minimize ricochets. If you want a soft shooting varmint gun with two jobs you might like one like my favorite one. I have a Ruger 77 (I like the integral scope mounting – no screws to break) re-barreled with a heavy 26” (no. 5 ??) in 6mm Remington. I glass bedded the action plus about 3.5” of the barrel channel and floated the rest. It has a trigger job and a Leopold 4.5x20 scope. I have a 200 yard target I shot with a ¾” 10 shot group. It loves Speer’s 85gr boat tail for hunting and Sierra’s 60gr hollow point for varmints. I load full power+ loads with full match quality prep and assembly. It is spectacular on varmints and likely the best antelope/deer rifle. I hunt a lot and have had many hunting friends park their 30’s for Elk and carry a 243/6mm/257 Roberts for medium game. You don’t necessarily have to spend a lot of money to have a tack driving small caliber rifle. Some thoughtful ‘sweet equity’ can go a long ways!!

Look at Savage web site.  I haven't heard anything but good about the new varmint  rifle.  I traded my AR-15 for a heavy barreled Ruger 77 (in 220 Swift) back in the late 70s.  I have to admitt that I miss the .223 sometimes.  It's really nice to be able to pick up a can of ammo cheap for plinking and the brass.  

As for the 220 Ruger, once I loaded it back to about 3750 with a 55g. Sierra boattail it really came into it.  Less than 2in at 200y and I'm no pro.  But sometimes I'm just not in the mood to reload and she doesn't particularly like factory ammo.  (and I'm to tight to pay $1.00 a pop for shells I can't hit with.)  If I were doing it all right now (especially if I had your 270 for heavy work),  I'd get a good .223.

HAY, anybody gotta good .223 they wanna trade for a good .220?