Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

Ok thanks pdice, I was 70% of the way there, I couldn't figure out how that I needed Nook Color Tools to swap keyboards, and that I needed ADB to install that stuff. I kept getting errors trying to move stuff around. I'll give that try!

I don't use Nook Color Tools or ADB. I use a file explorer program called root explorer (there are others too that do the same thing). With a file explorer that can access the system files you just move the apk file of hackers keyboard from /data/app to /system/app. Once moved open hackers keyboard and use the "Set current input method" menu command to set hackers keyboard as the default. Done! :) easier than it sounds but still pretty much a pain in the butt.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One minor note, for posterity -- (and this may be different on my nook)

the command I used to get R/W access to /system was:

#mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

I got an error message about "device not found" using your syntax, looks like maybe the args were out of sequence.

Still cool though, I haven't banged around in command line stuff for a long time.

Keyboard's fixed, life is good!

Thanks again for the hint. Now to do this 8 more times. :)

ctay, I was trying to do that with the default file browser thingie that gets installed with the NookManager graphical root, and couldn't figure out how to give it rights to /system. I'll find Root Explorer and try that for the next Nook.

The hacker's keyboard seems bit more laggy or flashy on my tablet, but it's certainly workable until PS has a chance to implement the changes they mentioned.

One minor note, for posterity -- (and this may be different on my nook)

the command I used to get R/W access to /system was:

#mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

It must be different on your system somehow. That was a cut and paste from my history.

I had to enter a new shooter using the hacker's keyboard today. After entering the first character of the name, it immediately exits. If you click on the text field again, you can type it normally replacing the first character in the field.

However, for our matches, the master tablet is an iPad, and shooters are only entered that way.

Well that's an interesting little kick in the head...

Kind of a pain for last-minute walk up registrations, but once Practiscore gets the keyboard/decimal point issue sorted out the point is moot I guess.

OK for the life of me I can not get hackers keyboard to work. I have tried this version keyboard.apk, version v1.30rc5, and v1.34rc9.

The processes I'ved used are:

• adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    adb push hkeyboard.apk /system/app
  • copying the APK to SD card and using Root Explorer to transfer to /system/app directory

Each method was successful in copyig the APK to the /system/app directory, but when I open Nook Color Tools to select the keyboard, I only have the option for the Android keyboard.

Did I miss a step or am I using the wrong version of the APK.

Each method was successful in copyig the APK to the /system/app directory, but when I open Nook Color Tools to select the keyboard, I only have the option for the Android keyboard.

I'm pretty sure I had to reboot the Nook after copying the apk into /system/app

After that it shows up as a choice in NCT.

I'm pretty sure I had to reboot the Nook after copying the apk into /system/app

After that it shows up as a choice in NCT.

I've rebooted several times after copying hkeyboard.apk to /system/app and still not an option in NCT

Sorry I mean Applications folder. The same folder practice score is an.

No, it is not. I did just try installing the APK, rebooting, and then checking NCT, but still no luck.

OK for the life of me I can not get hackers keyboard to work. I have tried this version keyboard.apk, version v1.30rc5, and v1.34rc9.

I used the one I linked in the original post I made:

https://code.google.com/p/hackerskeyboard/issues/detail?id=57#c8

The md5 sum appears to be difference from what you linked:

pdice-mac:nook pdice$ md5 hkeyboard.apk

MD5 (hkeyboard.apk) = fe4991a26aabbc648cf85b4f7f0ce521

pdice-mac:nook pdice$

If you are using timeplus matches on Android and updated to 1.1.0 (with IDPA support), please update to 1.1.1, which fixes a crash on opening match results. It can be downloaded from PS web site.

Eugene...1.1.0 also would not install on my Verizon Samsung Android phone, but installed just fine on the Nooks. During install on my phone...it acted like it was installing with the green stripped progress bar, then a message saying "Installation not Installed". I'll give 1.1.1 a try.

Mark, this usually happen when side-install app that was previously installed from Google Play and vice versa. Uninstalling should help (though you'll loose local competitor's history if that's your primary device for registering competitors).

For those running Nook 1.2.1 update, we just posted Android version 1.1.2 that fixes issue with numeric keyboard.

Special thanks to Chris who mailed me sd card to allow to reproduce and debug this issue.

What version of PractiScore has to be on the Nooks to syncronize with an Ipad running version 1.5.8?

We are going to use this combination to score the Michigan Sectional Championship in August but I want to use it in a few outdoor matches before then to verify wireless coverage.

The berms that separate some of the ranges are 65 feet tall.

Thanks,

BC

4-storey berms?! Sounds like launching one out of the range with an AD is tough for you guys! :lol:

Anyway, ALL the android versions have been able to synch back to 1.5.8 as far as I know. What you need to know is which android version will successfully score a stage with a minimum of hassle, depending on the firmware version of your nooks. I've been running 1.0.12 since January. Chris Wren has successfully used 1.0.15 to score his 6-stage 70+ competitor matches, so I've just upgraded my fleet of nooks to 1.0.15. 1.0.16 and 1.0.17 were both bad. 1.1.0 introduced IDPA support, and was quickly replaced with 1.1.1. 1.1.2 says it fixes a numeric keyboard problem that existed only on those nooks that had the Barnes & Noble 1.2.1 firmware update installed. Since it just came out yesterday, I wouldn't think anyone has actually scored a match with it yet. So from my standpoint, the latest proven good version is 1.0.15, even though 1.1.2 may be perfectly all right. It just hasn't been proven yet to me.

...1.0.16 and 1.0.17 were both bad.

If they are bad, we really need to hear more than that. Please provide details, so we can make PractiScore better.

I'd always recommend the last version, as it has fixes for critical issues reported to us. Though it is generally a good idea to test functionality before real match. We do what we can for each release, but we can only do so much and could use some volunteers who can help to test release candidates. If anyone is interested, please email support@practiscore.com and state what devices you have and what match types can you test. It would be a big help for us.