Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

Regarding ios version, generally features are kept in sync. But you better email support about specific ones, because ios reveloper is not present here.

Edited by euxx

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am working on 1.0.15 version. If target names are critical, I can put a maintenance release out. There are also issue in 1.0.14 on android with stage rankings for time plus matches.

1.0.15 (or one after) will change scoring workflow (e.g. review screen will be mandatory). There are few other smaller improvements.

Is this going to be out sometime this week (in time for a Jan 6th match) or do I just need to backlevel everything to 1.0.12? Thanks.

Bill, sorry about the trouble. I had to put aside all major changes and made 1.0.15 version to address issues brought up here. Now it is up to Devin to build and publish it. I'll post update here when I'll know more, probably not before Jan 2nd...

Is the 1.0.15 build going to have the change in the scoring work flow? I didn't see it mentioned in the ChangeLog notes on the website.

That's one of the major changes I had to put aside. We'll have them later.

We had a problem synching to our master with one NST. Our NSTs stayed with Squads for the match. I synched a squads device as they headed to their last stage.

We pulled all the scores from the finished NSTs and waited for the last squad to come in. Our Master reported 0 changes from the last device yet we knew (and could see) that there were 9 new scores. I was about to panic when I found I was able to pull the scores to another device and then the Master could see the changes.

We had a problem synching to our master with one NST. Our NSTs stayed with Squads for the match. I synched a squads device as they headed to their last stage.

We pulled all the scores from the finished NSTs and waited for the last squad to come in. Our Master reported 0 changes from the last device yet we knew (and could see) that there were 9 new scores. I was about to panic when I found I was able to pull the scores to another device and then the Master could see the changes.

Another good reason to have paper backups! :) I know a lot of MD's don't use them, but I had to recover scores twice from paper since scoring on Practiscore.

I have a new form for the paper backup scoresheets, since the fortune cookie slips of paper drive me crazy. The fields on the form exactly duplicate the order of the summary screen in PS. All you have to do is put in the stage number, shooter name, and then almost mindlessly copy numbers from the device in the same order to the form. We tried this last weekend and it worked really well. What I observed was people putting the forms on a fullsize clipboard and putting the nook (which is what we use) on top of the forms. The nook is accidentally almost the same size as one of the quadrants of the paper, so they were placing the device over one quarter of the form and copying off the data to the other quarter of the form directly opposite it. So you could just carry around the device and the scoresheet conveniently at the same time instead of having to run back to a table to do the paper. Here it is.

And I'll post this again in a separate topic so it doesn't get lost in this one. And yes, you're taking your life in your hands if you don't keep a paper log of some kind! And if you're running a lvl2 or higher match, you HAVE to do it anyway.

practiscore lvl1 stage summary scoresheet.pptx.pdf

Edited by wgnoyes

I wonder if time was in sync on all your devices...

We are adding a warning about different time on devices in the next android version. iOS version already does that.

All 4 NSTs that I brought home have the exact time, but I think they were turned on and connected to my home network since I brought them home. We'll be sure to confirm all devices are time synched for our steel match in a couple weeks.

We pulled the scores to another device which the Master was able to pull from......so I guess the one device could theoretically have been far enough off for the Master to reject, but not far enough off for the other device.

Has anyone reported problems with NSTs losing time? It was cold that day with ~20F start...

Bob

Edited by Glock27

No big problem with time, but sometimes if my router is not on first at the range before the Nook, then I get the Nooks started with no wi-fi running...you can tell by looking at the top bar on the screen. Easy fix is to click on the battery icon, deselect wi-fi and reselect wi-fi.

• 2 weeks later...

Another weekend, another set of phone calls and e-mails for PractiScore support that was really ezWinScore support. Not how we like our Saturday/Sunday evenings. And definitely not the speedy experience people see on non-classifier weekends.

I've asked this before ( I think), but if you want to help us move this app forward then you please contact the USPSA and ask them (politely) to support it as well. Write or call your Area director, HQ, wherever. Keep it polite. We need to have direct access to update classifiers and send activity files. I've asked numerous times in the last 1.5 years and have been rebuffed, including as recently as this recent SHOT show. Very frustrating, especially when I'm fielding phone calls and e-mails during the show about ezWinScore importing.

Anyway, as another match season approaches, this is important to FIX soon, or a lot of people are going to waste a lot of time when they could have just pushed "Submit" in PractiScore.

Ken N.

Ken, We will be running our first match with Nooks this week. I expect all to go well as we have a sister club that is already using them. I agree with you 100% that USPSA needs to fully support electronic scoring. You have a system that produces 100% of the required data with far less work except that we have to bow and scrape to a non-user friendly program to submit our data. I fail to see why we can't just create the data in the proper format and upload it. How would anyone know? That said, it would better if they accepted that the world is moving on.

I will contact Harry and Phil regarding this.

Thanks Jim.

I understand their reticence - activity reports are where most of the revenue comes from. But given the amount of use PractiScore is seeing, it's time.

We don't want to send files without their cooperation. Yes, we've generated activity and classifier files after reverse engineering the format, and we are confident what we can generate is correct, but it's best if we do it with them so any format changes can be done in concert.

It's all friendly - but I do confess that the end of weekend calls and e-mails on ezWinScore import/export - as necessary as they are now - are a big source of frustration for us.

Ken N.

For the Android version can you guys make it simpler to upgrade the version of PractiScore by integrating the upgrade process into the GUI? For example, you could add a "Update PractiScore" button on the "Sync" page and this would go to a dedicated URL on the PractiScore.com website which would contain the latest version of PractiScore, download it and perform the upgrade. Or at a minimum allow you to brows the android file system to locate the PractiScore.apk software and install the software. This second option assumes that you have connected the android device to USB and copied the software onto the device in a particular directory.

I am just trying to think of ways to make upgrading the PractiScore software more user friendly on rooted devices like Nooks.

For the Android version can you guys make it simpler to upgrade the version of PractiScore by integrating the upgrade process into the GUI? For example, you could add a "Update PractiScore" button on the "Sync" page and this would go to a dedicated URL on the PractiScore.com website which would contain the latest version of PractiScore, download it and perform the upgrade. Or at a minimum allow you to brows the android file system to locate the PractiScore.apk software and install the software. This second option assumes that you have connected the android device to USB and copied the software onto the device in a particular directory.

I am just trying to think of ways to make upgrading the PractiScore software more user friendly on rooted devices like Nooks.

The new root that I found also has a google apps plug in that allows the use of the market. LINK I haven't tried it yet but if it works the way they say it does we could update the practiscore version via google play automatically on the nook.

emails sent to my Area III director, MO Section coordinator and USPSA (President, Roger, Val). All USPSA members should strongly urge USPSA to fully cooperate with NiftyBytes for classifier submission.

PractiScore has already saved our club ~8 man hours of data entry and we've just fully electronic scored our January matches! Competitors LOVE leaving the range with the full results on their device!

Bob

re: classifier / activity updates... It isn't adversarial at all, just needs to be done sooner. It's causing too much work on everybody's part. Mine as a stats guy at big matches and club matches, and mine as a Niftybytes guy trying to support a clunky process.

Thanks for the pointer on the root kit with market access. We will try that. I'm already seeing problems with updating Nooks at clubs I shoot with.

Regards,

Ken N.