Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keep my XD9 4" or buy new XDM9 5.25"

fsbk366

I am wondering if I should upgrade my pistol before starting competitions. I've had my XD9 for the past 5 years or so, and probably sent 1000 rounds through it over the years. I am an ok shot, hitting nearly all Xs/10s on a standard silhouette at 15' or so. I am planning on attending a USPSA match and/or an action pistol match at a local club each month. I want to start in the production division, then possibly upgrade into the limited, and maybe one day open divisions.

If I've done my research correctly, it is probably going to cost me about $300 to upgrade from my old XD9 4" to a new XDM9 5.25". The question is, would that money be better spent in another area? I've already bought a reloading machine.

What about the fit and feel between the two? The XD9 feels very smooth and fits in my hand well. Should I expect the same performance from the XDM9?

If you've only shot 1,000 rounds over 5 years, I'd say keep what you have and buy more components for reloading. Depending on match availability and practice sessions, a lot of people in this sport can easily go through at least 1,000 rounds per month. Also, if it fits in your hand and feels good, then you should shoot with what you're comfortable with when first starting out. If you get hooked and become really serious, then you should start looking for a possible upgrade.

I am wondering if I should upgrade my pistol before starting competitions. I've had my XD9 for the past 5 years or so, and probably sent 1000 rounds through it over the years. I am an ok shot, hitting nearly all Xs/10s on a standard silhouette at 15' or so. I am planning on attending a USPSA match and/or an action pistol match at a local club each month. I want to start in the production division, then possibly upgrade into the limited, and maybe one day open divisions.

If I've done my research correctly, it is probably going to cost me about $300 to upgrade from my old XD9 4" to a new XDM9 5.25". The question is, would that money be better spent in another area? I've already bought a reloading machine.

What about the fit and feel between the two? The XD9 feels very smooth and fits in my hand well. Should I expect the same performance from the XDM9?

I bought one and I love it. Get the trigger upgrade with it. I have an XD and XDM and neither compare to my XDM 5.25. I cannot believe how accurate it is and easy to handle.

I shot USPSA with my XDm 3.8 in .40 S&W for several months before “upgrading” to a 5.25 also in .40 S&W. I had no issues with the 3.8 and really enjoyed the competition but once I got hooked I decided to go ahead and get “better” gear. I am still running the factory mag pouches although I have plans to upgrade them at some point. I say shoot (a lot) what you have now and maybe some deals will come along in the meantime. I snagged a lightly used CR Speed belt in my size at about the half price of a new one. I am thinking now about getting a 9mm 5.25 to shoot in Production and modifying my .40 5.25 for Limited. You can shoot this sport fairly inexpensively or you can dump tons of coin. I would recommend spending the money on reloading components. I am running 3-600 rounds a month average and I don’t practice much. I can barely find time to make it to matches!

Do you really need a reason to buy another gun? :surprise: Get the XDm and keep the 4" XD for a backup gun. Win win to me. I am up to 4 XD's and 1 XDm 4.5 and looking to get a 5.25 in 40 next. :cheers: And yes I do shoot at least once a year with my 3" subcompact XD at the local club just because its so fun to shoot. :goof:

Ive shot them both but i feel the standard xd is a smoother more accurate gun my 4 inch was awsomne and my 5 inch xd tactical that powder river built me is a tack driver and just feels better to me than the xdm line.

I started with a 4" XD 9, moved to a 4.5 XDM 40 and am now shooting a 5.25 in 9mm. I love all three of them. I say stick with what you have for a while, say the rest of this year. During that time, try as many different platforms as you can. Spend your money at first on ammo and match fees. Thats just my .02. Hope it helps