Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I shot my first match!

mwoodrow

So this past Saturday I finally got to shoot my first ever IDPA match and it was a blast. I have no idea how I placed or how many points down I ended up but I had fun. I know in one of the stages I had a miss which kinda pissed me off. I knew it but didn't pick it up. How would yall recommend to do that, I mean while I was shooting I thought I had missed and felt I had but couldn't force myself to take the extra shot, is it just all in practice? Either way I had fun, I think I only had one stage that was clean with no points but it didn't matter. Most of the points I was down were only in the 1 box so its all good. I was going to put a link in for a video but it won't let me. It is on youtube under the marshal dillons channel, just videos of a few friends and myself that shoot in the matches. Also just a little background, I am a police officer and am shooting my stock carry gun, G17.

Thanks

Matt

Matt

Congrats on getting out there to try some form of competition!

As soon as you figure out the scoring and the impact to it with a miss you will start making up those -3 & and -5 shots, You can easily make those up in the 1.5 or 2.5 seconds you would lose. 0's and 1's are good, typically shooting all zeros will be taking to long, there are exceptions of course but it is a good general rule.

Congratulations on your first match. As mentioned above you will get the hang of "knowing" when it is best to fire "makeup" shots. With the 10 round capacity allowed in your handgun, you have a bit more leeway shooting "makeup" shots than I normally do with my revolver in IDPA.

The videos looked good that I saw, and without information about the scenario I don't really have much more that I can say.

Shoot safe, smooth, accurate, and enjoy the matches.

Edited by Blueridge

Thanks for the replies. I def know I need to practice a lot more but I felt comfortble through the whole thing. Here is a link without actually posting the link to my clean stage, www dot youtube.com/watch?v=mpkL_tHlCi4 , just replace the "dot" with a "." As far as this stage goes, it was supposed to be like a poker game gone bad. One guy had a gun so obviously shoot him first then the rest. There were two no shoots on this one. I think there were only thought up scenarios for a few of them, I can only remember a few. Stage 2 was supposed to be bunch of bad guys inside your house when you come home and you engage from cover with 2 rounds to the body and one to the head. Stage four was being surrounded by bad guys on the street, one round to each bg then doubles to each bg and then head shot to each bg. There was an atm scenario but that was stage 3 and it was blocked from being able to get video.

Thanks for the replies. I def know I need to practice a lot more but I felt comfortble through the whole thing. Here is a link without actually posting the link to my clean stage, www dot youtube.com/watch?v=mpkL_tHlCi4 , just replace the "dot" with a "." As far as this stage goes, it was supposed to be like a poker game gone bad. One guy had a gun so obviously shoot him first then the rest. There were two no shoots on this one. I think there were only thought up scenarios for a few of them, I can only remember a few. Stage 2 was supposed to be bunch of bad guys inside your house when you come home and you engage from cover with 2 rounds to the body and one to the head. Stage four was being surrounded by bad guys on the street, one round to each bg then doubles to each bg and then head shot to each bg. There was an atm scenario but that was stage 3 and it was blocked from being able to get video.

Hot-links added...

TheMarshallDillon channel

Thanks for adding the hot links!! Also I fully intend on going to atleast one match a month. I was going to try to go to two, and will when I can, but with my schedule of being off every other weekend and trying to work off duty it gets tough, but one a month is a definite. Thanks for the compliments on the splits, I am pretty sure I could have gone faster but wasn't too worried about that just wanted to go and have fun. I know that I can make up time on my reloads but have always been trained to reload by grabbing the slide, gonna have to work on using the slide release with my support hand.

Edited by mwoodrow