Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolvers

anachronism

I'm trying to understand the revolver rules for steel. The only specific mention I see to revolvers uses the IDPA ISSR rules, which limit you to a 4 inch barrel. However, there is an obscure mention of a revolver class, which I cannot find the guidelines for. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

All the Steel revo shooters I know (ME) use a 627. I have 2. Both are 5" and I use a DC Ammo 38 Short Colt load @ minor PF. I also use a DAA Race Master holster and North Mountain moon clip holder. I can't picture any other revolver better suited for Steel. :goof:

Edited by buckaroo45

Are you talking about Steel Challenge? Revolver classes for Steel Challenge are open and iron sight. No holster restrictions, no barrel length restrictions. I think there is a minimum bullet diameter of .355 for all Steel Challenge classes, excluding rimfire. Most revo shooters use some form of 627 whether 38 special or super.

Seiichi

edit.

Even though they call it "iron sight", I don't think you can have a comp in irons. So, think of it as open and limited.

Edited by itchy

All the Steel revo shooters I know (ME) use a 627. I have 2. Both are 5" and I use a DC Ammo 38 Short Colt load @ minor PF. I also use a DAA Race Master holster and North Mountain moon clip holder. I can't picture any other revolver better suited for Steel. :goof:

I shoot a v-comp with short colt brass and 105gr Molly coated lead. Speed-e-rack and a race master. Now that is a steel set up!

This is what I pulled off the Steel Challenge Rule book:

A.3 Center Fire Pistol: Any pistol fi ring (9mm/.38 Special) or larger

ammunition (see “ammunition” rule 4.1.1). This event has multiple

equipment divisions as follows.

A.3.1 Open: This is the race division! All legal fi rearms are allowed. Optics, Compensators, and any safe holster/position

are specifi cally allowed.

A.3.2 Iron Sight: Any iron sighted pistol without a compensator,

barrel ports, or optical sight.

Fiber optic inserts are specifically allowed.

A.3.3 Production: Any double action or safe action pistol on the

USPSA Production gun list. No Race holsters allowed.15

A.3.4 Optic Revolver: Open revolver, with no restrictions for

maximum rounds. Optics, Compensators and any safe holster/position allowed.

A.3.5 Iron Sight Revolver: Any iron sighted revolver without a

compensator, barrel ports or optical sight. Fiber optic inserts are specifi cally allowed. No barrel length or holster

restrictions. No restrictions for maximum rounds.

A.3.6 COWBOY SINGLE ACTION: Any Single Action revolver that conforms with appropriate SASS rules and

regulations. Cowboy Single Action shooters may use two

(2) revolvers, with all chambers loaded (6). Upon emptying the fi rst revolver the competitor may draw their second revolver (if necessary) to complete the course of fi re.

However, the second revolver may not be drawn until the

fi rst revolver has been fully re-holstered. On either draw,

the hammer may not be cocked until the barrel is pointed

down range. Adjustable sights are allowed. Must conform

with appropriate SASS holster and holster-position rules.

Western attire is encouraged.

It is in the appendix Hopefully it answers the question. later rdd