Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

money is tight, so ......

Velvett

So far iv'e got some great information here, so i'd thought i'd go to the well again. I have loaded shotgun for year's, now i'm having a go at 9mm reloading. i like what WSF has to offer and i have lots of it. I'm loading for an XDm compact, target work only. i really want to use Bayou Bullets (147gr .356) i'm using Lymans book and the Hodgdon website for load info. i've posted before and got really good info, which took me to the use of 147gr bullets. any thoughts? My original path was taking me to the 124/125gr bullet. some additional reading and study has made me change my mind a bit. i'm hoping to get some more warm fuzzy's before i pull the trigger and spend my hard earned money on bullets. Thx guy's i welcome the input of experienced reloader's.

Edited by Velvett

I'd call Donnie and get him to send a trial pack of each. I'd also call Jim with JD Sales and ask him to do the same. Check them out at trial size and save dollars. I'm fairly certain they would both be willing to mail a trial pack. Good Luck!

+1 on trying them out in smaller numbers. Depending how many are in a trial pack that might not be enough. I would think around 250 bullets would be enough to see if your gun likes the powder/bullet combo. It's not always about best feel. Accuracy, function, reliability are critical.

The 147's shot a little high in my fixed sight Shadow. Jim with JD Sales is also making swaged bullets and he can make them at any weight you would like. If you don't like the 147's or 124's I'd try the swaged. I'm currently shooting 130 grain RNFP 9mm's from JD Sales and love them, Super Accurate. The swaged bullets are not greased so you wouldn't have a problem with smoke.

For 9mm (Minor PF) - go with a bullet that is in 120gr-140gr range. Get a chrono, shoot your loads thru it.

You can load same bullets for Major PF (or +P/ +P+ or even ++PP++), but would have to make proper powder choice.

I, personally, like Berry's 124gr bullets very much, and I buy them by 10K lot or more. They are plated= no lube to mess with or spend $$ on; no extra smoke due to burning lube, and/or lead vapor'; heavy enough to knock down metal plates and to have 'reasonably flat' trajectory.

If you don't cast your own bullets, then spend a few more pennies on plated bullets, Berry's bullets. Call them, talk to Jay, get THE shtaff.

If you don't cast - skip lead/moly bullets shi..f..t.

I think you are going to have trouble stabilizing a 147 from a compact barrel. I was shooting them from a 5" and not liking the results. But I would second the suggestions for Berry's 124's. I've been through a few thousand of the new hollow base flat nose and I am loving them. Zero feed issues and very accurate with 4.5gn WSF.

Money is tight for me also. Bullets are going to be your biggest expense.

I am fortunate to have a bear creek bullet dealer in my area. $60/k for 147 9mm, local pickup.

Bullseye powder at 3.0g per charge, gives me alot of rounds per lb of powder. Accuracy is great as well. 3-4" at 30 yards with my g34.

I would contact bear creek to see if there is a dealer near you.

Cost, accuracy and function are great. Hope that helps.

Donnie from Bayou bullets also makes a 135gr bullet. I am just about out of them, I really liked them. Might want to look in that weight range it's a good compromise between 124/5 and 147's especially if you can't make up your mind.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ceezer Concerning the Berry's bullets, I went to see what they had. and the cost is still in my range. their website say's to load them and the low to mid range of the jacketed load that my book's say. My Speer book and my Lyman book, and Hodgon's web site (for WSF) only show 124gr at .355. from other research, Loading a 124gr .356 to me that's in the lead range. So i'm a bit confused on that. Just wanting to know what your experience is.

Edited by Velvett