Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA TPC Gear

I am going to one of the NRA Tactical Police Competition matches in LA next month and wondered what people who have already attended are running gear wise? I have a Safariland ELS setup for Outlaw and figure my 771 pistol mag pouches are out but I can make due with some 74's I have (I think they past muster) but not sure if my ELS belt and clip set up will work.

What are you running, even if it is straight duty issue stuff? Thanks for the input.

I am going to one of the NRA Tactical Police Competition matches in LA next month and wondered what people who have already attended are running gear wise? I have a Safariland ELS setup for Outlaw and figure my 771 pistol mag pouches are out but I can make due with some 74's I have (I think they past muster) but not sure if my ELS belt and clip set up will work.

What are you running, even if it is straight duty issue stuff? Thanks for the input.

i have shot several of these matches. the holster must have one 'active' retaining device. i use a blackhawk serpa. as to mag pouches i use open top blackhawk ones. be sure to check the length of the shotgun barrel they allow. i use a 21" Benelli M2. you cannot use magazine extensions to expand mag capacity. Most of the stages are not overly long. I don't remember using more than two rifle or pistol mags. of course, you never know. take a close look at the targets and remember where the scoring zones are. they are a little different. they (the NRA) score "down". i.e, if the shot hits the line it registers as the lower score. they are fun matches but you may run into some ROs with little experience as ROs.

go forth and have fun!

:cheers:

I shot one in New Mexico a few years ago and shot "patrol". I wore my sam brown with a Safariland 6280 holster and mag pouches with snaps. This setup is how the "spirit" of the rules were written. There were plenty of guys who showed up with their STI in a "no retention" holster with CR Speed pouches. (they claimed that they worked UC and that their gear had no retention required.) They brought JP CTR-02s and their 3 gun Benellis. Everyone knows that is not really duty gear, but the match director didn't have the heart to turn them away. I think the top 3 or 4 guys in "tactical" all had competition gear.

Back then, they allowed shotshell caddies, but I've heard from a friend that they are no longer allowing them, due to the unfair advantage they offer. I hear everyone now has to use a "dump pouch" for shotgun shells.

I guess you'll have to decide whether you want to "game it" or shoot it they way it was meant to be. Don't be surprised to see some very interesting "duty gear".

Seiichi

Thanks for the input guys keep it coming. I work for an agency that is cheap to no end and the gear we give seems purposely hindering. I already run Outlaw so trying to not have to go and buy all new gear AGAIN.

Thanks guys, keep it coming.

I shot one in New Mexico a few years ago and shot "patrol". I wore my sam brown with a Safariland 6280 holster and mag pouches with snaps. This setup is how the "spirit" of the rules were written. There were plenty of guys who showed up with their STI in a "no retention" holster with CR Speed pouches. (they claimed that they worked UC and that their gear had no retention required.) They brought JP CTR-02s and their 3 gun Benellis. Everyone knows that is not really duty gear, but the match director didn't have the heart to turn them away. I think the top 3 or 4 guys in "tactical" all had competition gear.

Back then, they allowed shotshell caddies, but I've heard from a friend that they are no longer allowing them, due to the unfair advantage they offer. I hear everyone now has to use a "dump pouch" for shotgun shells.

I guess you'll have to decide whether you want to "game it" or shoot it they way it was meant to be. Don't be surprised to see some very interesting "duty gear".

Seiichi

at the Albuquerque match this last fall there was one stage that required that everybody use a dump pouch, which they provided. on the other shotgun stages i used shell caddies and the side-saddle on my shotgun.

I'll be in Shreveport for that match. I've never seen the ELS used as "duty gear". They had a stage in Texas last year with the dump pouch too. But I'm still bringing the caddies. I have the ELS belt, but I'll be using a plain nylon belt for this one.

LIke Itchy I shoot with my duty gear. My 18 1/2 in Benelli, Sam Browne Leather with duty holster ( the same one I wear everyday minus all the stuff like cuffs, baton etc.) and my 16" Noveske. I shot Tactical, but I think next time I'm going Patrol.

Accuracy is more important in these matches than most others I've shot.

Gordon

The ones I have shot have all been in Patrol division. No competition gear rule is getting better

enforcement which is fine with me.

I use a Bladetech WLS holster for my M&P and an open double mag pouch.

My shotgun is a 21" barrel 870 with extended choke tube and mag tube to give me the legal

22" length barrel and 8 round mag.

For Rifle, I have used different ones, usually 16" carbines but shot my 11.5" SBR one year. Max

range is 100 yds so it isn't a big issue.

I used a C&R Speed belt for simplicity and no one objected. May not be the case anymore.

I have used Choate 6 rd carriers before but last time used API 3x3 carriers. Apparently they have

changed rules again and these may or may not be allowed.

They are fun matches but the past two years, they dropped Stockton, MO from the schedule in favor

of addition matches on the east coast and Texas. So I haven't gone since 2010. Stockton was

less than an hour from home.

Craig

Biggest concern is the shotshell carriers (i.e. caddies). I have the Otto 4 shell caddies I use in Outlaw (will have to take off the ELS to work on my duty belt but thats fine) and can't really find anything that defines what is allowed. I have Bladetech Glock and AR pouches that should be fine. Talked to the NRA guys and they said the ELS is out (which I figured) the down side is I am cobbling together gear for it as my agency is CHEAP (gotta love low bidder) and much of my "duty gear" has fallen apart. I generally wear everything on my chest rig/body armor which is complicating the matter. Shouldn't be a problem in the end anyway.

Keep any other examples coming.

I have shot several of these matches and will be in Shreveport with a large contingent from the Houston area. I use a safariland ALS holster with my M&P9L in it, an 870 or an auto shotgun dependant upon division and a Rock River AR. I used my JP-15 once and was questioned about being able to shoot it, but was allowed because it was of a standard configuration unlike the CTR models. I have seen very few competitors with equipment that is way out of line. My experience has been that those that shoot the best win it, not those who game it better. As far as shotgun shell caddies the last couple I have been too they provided shell caddies or a go bag for shells. The matches are fun, we go mainly for the road trip. Another key is to slow down and make good hits like one poster said you hit the line it scores down to that area, procedural penalties and misses can eat you up if you have a brain fart.

I have competed in 2 of the competitions and ran straight duty gear. Glock 17 in a 6280 SLS holster on a nylon duty rig with covered pistol mag pouches and Fastmag rifle mag carrier. I carried the belt with baton, taser, cuffs, etc. The only non-standard gear that I used were the loaner shotshell caddies that the NRA loaned out to the competitors on the 26 round shotgun stage from one match.

The second match differed only in the manner of shell carry. Competitors had to use the supplied "go" bag to carry their shells in.

Due to the course design (lots and lots of rules about shooting areas), it doesn't really slow you down much to run your duty gear. They emphasize accuracy from specific shooting areas, so don't worry about being super fast.

Have fun and see how good you are in your duty gear and go from there.

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

• 5 months later...

I'm getting ready to shoot a match this weekend for the first time. A few questions for a few guys that have shot these before.

-Do you have to use a duty belt? Or can it be a Blackhawk (rigger, cqb, etc) under-belt for the "plainclothes" use?

-Is there any requirement to carry the full battery of duty gear? ie, asp holder, radio holder, cuff case, etc...?

-How are they on power factor? I handload my pistol ammo and have no idea what PF it is. Don't want to get shunned for under-powered ammo.

-I read in the rules there is a waiver for such things like shotgun mag tube length. My shotty (Benelli M4) only holds 7 in the tube without the extension. Anyone have or seen a waiver used? Not interested in getting a leg up but I would like to have the accepted 8 there.

I'm really looking forward to the shoot. Everything I read says they're good stuff. Thanks for the answers.

I'm getting ready to shoot a match this weekend for the first time. A few questions for a few guys that have shot these before.

-Do you have to use a duty belt? Or can it be a Blackhawk (rigger, cqb, etc) under-belt for the "plainclothes" use?

-Is there any requirement to carry the full battery of duty gear? ie, asp holder, radio holder, cuff case, etc...?

-How are they on power factor? I handload my pistol ammo and have no idea what PF it is. Don't want to get shunned for under-powered ammo.

-I read in the rules there is a waiver for such things like shotgun mag tube length. My shotty (Benelli M4) only holds 7 in the tube without the extension. Anyone have or seen a waiver used? Not interested in getting a leg up but I would like to have the accepted 8 there.

I'm really looking forward to the shoot. Everything I read says they're good stuff. Thanks for the answers.

you do not need to wear you entire duty rig. you need the basics: holster, mag pouches, and shotgun ammo holders (caddies, side-saddle,etc.)

They are pretty good a giving you leeway on your set up as long as it isn't race oriented. I only remember seeing one or two at a match that had the entire duty rig. Everyone pares down for weight if nothing else.

8 in the tube is not a problem. The last one I shot they had an SLP stage gun. I don't think the power factor will be an issue unless you are running a bunny fart load that has clearly given you an advantage. Remember that you need at least one retention device on your holster. Also, the last one I shot they were checking trigger pull weights on all pistols and rifles. Have fun!

Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking forward to a good time. Had to change out the trigger spring on my Gieselle S3G to make the 3.5lb rule, and I have most of the gear. Guess I'll just wing it if I need something else.