Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 223

arguy57

Hello,

I am some-what new to reloading and have almost all of the equipment except for a press, dies, and a scale. I have done a ton of research and reading on loading rifle ammunition but would like to have some opinions on what press to choose, 550 or 650. I'm currently leaning towards the 550. Can you use the 650 without the case feeder? I was just looking for some information on what the best set up is to load 223. Also anything else that you guys think might help me out would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by arguy57

Hello,

I am some-what new to reloading and have almost all of the equipment except for a press, dies, and a scale. I have done a ton of research and reading on loading rifle ammunition but would like to have some opinions on what press to choose, 550 or 650. I'm currently leaning towards the 550. Can you use the 650 without the case feeder? I was just looking for some information on what the best set up is to load 223. Also anything else that you guys think might help me out would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

You might want to check out the Dillon FAQ at the following - brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

I just purchased the 550b and have been very happy with it. The 550b EZ packages have everything you would need. Though you may want to add in the Dillon Super Swager if you are using brass that is Crimped. I found out the hard way that Federal American Eagle brass needs to be swaged!

Edited by SteveT-NV

I think the 650 has a swagger in it for military brass. I have a 550 and love it load all my pistol I will soon be loading my 223 on it as well. And you can use a 650 Im pretty sure without the case feeder its an option.

A 650 does not have a swagger in it. only the 1050

I had a 550 20 years ago & it was great , I let a friend buy it when I got the 650 = I still have that press. If you can afford the 650 thin that would be the best choice. it loads 223 just fine and you have the auto case feed.

If you sort your brass you don't need a Swagger. Just buy the 1000 + once fired preped brass and your good to go for over a year.

I ended up getting the 550 because of cost and my amount of shooting. A swagger isn't a very big deal if I don't have one because I just use a drill and the chamfer tool to remove the crimp. I also got it because it is cheaper when changing calibers. I figured it would be a lot easier to learn on since it is my first progressive too. Thanks for all the info. I'm glad I finally have a Dillon press!!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would go with the 550 for 223. I have a 550 and just bought a 650 to load 45acp and 40 S&W on. I am going to now use the 550 for rifle rounds, so many more steps for rifle rounds, trimming, swagging, thought this was the best way to go.

I actually just picked up a used Dillon RL450 that has been converted to auto-powder and auto-primer feed specifically to load 223. It has everything the RL 550 has except low powder/primer warnings and it has a fixed tool-head. I ended up picking it up cheap. I figured the fixed tool-head would give me better OAL consistency for rifle loading. Still getting it setup, but I'm already amazed at how smooth the press is, and it will be much faster than single stage. The only thing I don't have is the super-swager. I've stuck with non-military brass and the rest I just store until I get one. If you can find the 450 at a good price it could be a viable option.

Load on both, 9mm, 40 S@W, Super 38 and 38 Special on 650. 45ACP, 30.06 and 223 on the 550.

550 is the best entry level press out there and I'll always have one. There's just things you can do with the 550 you can't with other presses, pull bullets with a collet puller, easier to correct makeready rounds if oal is off a little for example. It's a true workhorse. If your not willing to go all the way fully dressed 650 then go with a 550. 650 will out run a 550 preforms better on longer runs but will cost twice the price of a 550 to get going.

550 can be mounted flat to a bench, no need for strong mount. You don't need to get under the press to work on it, used two sections of 2x6 to get mine to the right height on the bench. It's mounted on the left so extended the top board so I could place a metal bowl to put bullets in. Drilled the back of the board to place the most used allen wrenchs close. Roller handle is worth the money on long loading sessions. 550 needs to be monted in a well lite area as your eyes are the powder check system, need to see the powder in station three before placing the bullet.

Either press try and mount it level, it'll run smoother.

650 does not swage, that's a seperate operation on either press, 1050 is the press that will swage. Both are good machines it just how much do you want to spend to get going.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, new to reloading too....thinking about the 650 or the 550, but how about match rounds for 223? I'd like to get as accurate a load as possible, are Dillon's even the way to go if i want match quality rifle rounds or is RCBS or Forster the route to go and go slow? Thanks for any help!

I load 223 on my 650 and get excellent results. As far as match ammo, everything else being equal i.e. pwd charges consistant, OAL within .002 +/- and finish checked with a concentricity guage ~.002 I'm good to go.

There's some dude by the name of G. David Tubb. He is supposed to be some gee whiz uber target shooter... He's probably just some piker though. He loads his rounds out to the 600 stages with a 650. Supposedly. :rolleyes:

You should probably google him, though.

[/facetious]

I have the VHS videotape G. David Tubb did with Sierra bullets. IIRC, there is a Dillon on his reloading bench in the video.

• 2 weeks later...

Is sizing the brass on the 650 a problem? I've never loaded rifle brass on a 650 but am wondering if the loader jumps when pulling the expander die out.

Ya know how everyone says the loader needs to be on a stable platform? well, it's very important with rifle brass processing. :cheers:

jj

I've reloaded 223/5.56 on my 550 for a couple of years, using a two toolhead setup. One toolhead has a decapping die and the RT1200 trimmer, and the other has the powder measure,seating, and crimp dies on them.

I just bought a 650 from Brian yesterday and I'm going to be using it to process about 15k worth of once fired Lake City brass I've acculmulated over the years. That should keep me busy for the winter!