Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith barrel replacement

AzShooter

I had a big problem today trying some mew loads. I was starting to use my .38 colts and tested a number of rounds. 158 grainers worked real well

I tried a few others that didn't work as well. Worst was when I tried jacketed loads. The bullets stuck in the barrel. Seems like the powder measure wasn't working right because the sounds were different and I can tell some were weak loads.

Unfortunately I stuck a few more than one load in the barrel so it needs to be replaced. It's a 627 that has had a lot of work done to it by Carmoney so I don't want to ship it off to Smith & Wesson. I'm sure they would change the internals.

I'd like to find a gunsmith that would replace the barrel with either a stock V-barrel or some other configuration that would work.

Any choices you can help me with?

I have always wondered what would happened if you got an RMA for a barrel replacement and you sent it back without the hammer, trigger, rebound slider and springs. That way they have what they need to actually do the repairs and you get to keep your trigger job. Another solution is to sell it to me and let me worry about the barrel replacement. As far as a stock barrel, I would think Smith would stock V Comp and standard barrels and would sell you one if you called.

Lee

I have always wondered what would happened if you got an RMA for a barrel replacement and you sent it back without the hammer, trigger, rebound slider and springs. That way they have what they need to actually do the repairs and you get to keep your trigger job. Another solution is to sell it to me and let me worry about the barrel replacement. As far as a stock barrel, I would think Smith would stock V Comp and standard barrels and would sell you one if you called.

Lee

I know of one shooter that did just that with a model 610,smith did the repair and sent the gun back no questions,,but it was warranty work...

Lee

I know of one shooter that did just that with a model 610,smith did the repair and sent the gun back no questions,,but it was warranty work...

I would think it wouldn't matter, aside from releasing the lock to check cylinder gap against the new forcing cone on all 8 cylinders I can't imagine why they would need these parts. I am sure they will disassemble before replacing the barrel anyway.

Lee

If the loads were really light, there may be a chance that the barrel is still OK. To check it, hold the barrel between your thumb and index finger and run your fingers lengthways down the barrel. You will be able to feel if the barrel is a uniform width or if there are bulges. If it's the same all the way up and down, it's OK. If there are ripples or bulges, it needs replaced.

Some of you guys have heard the story about my main ICORE gun breaking its trigger stud off the week before the IRC last year. I didn't want them dicking with my action stuff, so I sent just the stripped frame (with sideplate and sideplate screws) back to the factory under a warranty claim. They fixed it, refinished it beautifully, and it's now perfect again.

So you might be able to get them to rebarrel it, even with the guts removed.

If you could get the bullets out of the barrel, give it a try for accuracy. I did something similar to a bull barrel. One stuck, the next blew it out resulting in a bulge in the barrel.

A cleaning rod would have a little free space movement. Accuracy at 50 yards went from 1.5 inch to 2.5 inch. So I just kept shooting it until the forcing cone split, then a new barrel was installed.

Let me know if you can get through to S&W. I tried calling last week and never could get anyone to pick up the phone.

I sent an email which they haven't answered yet. Maybe they're trying to tell me something. :^)

I'd like to get a v-comp barrel for the 627 and a shroud/barrel for the 327 TRR8.

Anyone know the part numbers? Don't know if Smith's current parts catalog lists the numbers...another thing I was going to buy if I could get through.

Who is the current factory rep for S&W? I haven't met anybody from Smith since Jorgensen abandoned ship.

Whoever it is, maybe we can get them to get us a group buy on barrels. :^)

Now, by "allocate" you mean you have to send in your gun to be fitted?

After 20 minutes on hold, I got through and they wouldn't ship me any barrel for a Performance Center gun...

said it had to be fitted at S&W. That just doesn't fit my agenda.

AZShooter, maybe I could twist off your old barrel before you send the rest of the gun in for a new one. A bulge isn't a problem. Are you going to Cactus' all-classifier match this weekend?...I could talk to you about it then.

Or if anyone knows of an available 627 or 327 barrel/shroud that might be helpful.

Thanks.