Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Haywire

Jman

• 2 weeks later...

Steven Soderbergh ruined another potentially great movie. He directed and DoP'ed this movie - he did the same with Contagion. Both movies had high power casts, and did a great job of making them look like horribly boring actors. If you go look at his credits, it looks like he's getting worse as he goes, not better... The editing is pretty horrible, too - instead of cutting between shots of the actor doing something, he leaves it as one long shot from a single angle, and ends up making his actors look stupid and hokey rather than it being some kind of artistic "throw back to the 70s".. And, he obviously doesn't know how to shoot action - in pretty much every fight scene, there's a couple of angles where you can clearly see pulled punches, etc.

That "throwback to the 70s" movies is fine, just actually do it, rather than trying to sorta kinda half-ass do it... And the plot was hokey as hell.

Annoyingly, they all carry empty guns the whole time. Whoever was involved from a gun handling standpoint didn't do much for them there...

So, what was good about the movie? Gina Carano appears to hold her own with the rest of the cast - that's not saying much in the context of the movie, but given how bad the direction was, maybe she can do well in another role. The fight scenes are fantastic - it's refreshing to see an actress that knows how to throw a kick convincingly. They're obviously staged, Hollywood fights, but they (mostly, aside form the aforementioned DoP idiocy) look well done.

I'd watch it again to watch Carano kick ass (and it doesn't hurt that she's a good looking girl), but that's about the only redeeming factor on it...

So, what was good about the movie? Gina Carano appears to hold her own with the rest of the cast - that's not saying much in the context of the movie, but given how bad the direction was, maybe she can do well in another role. The fight scenes are fantastic - it's refreshing to see a fighter that knows how to act convincingly. They're obviously staged, Hollywood fights, but they (mostly, aside form the aforementioned DoP idiocy) look well done.

Fixed.

So, what was good about the movie? Gina Carano appears to hold her own with the rest of the cast - that's not saying much in the context of the movie, but given how bad the direction was, maybe she can do well in another role. The fight scenes are fantastic - it's refreshing to see a fighter that knows how to act convincingly. They're obviously staged, Hollywood fights, but they (mostly, aside form the aforementioned DoP idiocy) look well done.

Fixed.

I did not like the fight scenes at all. They seemed contrived to show MMA moves that just ain't gonna happen in the real world......just my opine

I did not like the fight scenes at all. They seemed contrived to show MMA moves that just ain't gonna happen in the real world......just my opine

How many fight scenes have you seen in movies that come even remotely close to how fights play out in the real world? I haven't seen one, yet...

Fixed.

I haven't seen the movie, but I can't imagine there are any effective MMA techniques that wouldn't work in the real world.

Fixed.

I haven't seen the movie, but I can't imagine there are any effective MMA techniques that wouldn't work in the real world.

I'd suggest a flying armbar would not be a rational choice in an enclosed area (but it looked pretty). It could be effective in a match, on a mat, where if you missed you would not get your head kicked in because you are on the ground. Just my opinion

I thought the fight scenes were awkwardly staged to show the MMA moves. And, I love MMA

Edited by underlug