Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 gr Bayou Bullets and Titegroup

Blue Jacket

For 180gr Lead with Titegroup it's going to be a smoker if they are lead. I have 180gr Shooter Choice Lead I used 4.6gr TG Average Velocity at 10ft is 981fps with PF Being 176 COAL is 1.160 out of my 5inch Stock Eagle. For Jacketed Bullets I shoot Montana Gold 180gr CMJ with COAL 1.150 Avg Velocity 1003fps PF 180.

TiteGroup is such a lousy powder (in my guns). It does behave a bit better than Clays, however.

It burns HOT. It smokes. Lead+TG=more smoke.

It is not very accurate with lead bullets. I have not fired any jacketed bullets in any of my .40s, so I can't really say if it works better with j-bullets. All I know is that it "sucks" with j-bullets in my 9x19 and .38 Super.

It may be great in your gun.

If I was going .40 Major, I would use a slower powder. If I HAD to use a fast powder, I would use AA2 or Solo 1000.

FWIW, AA5 and Silhouette are far-and-away the MOST accurate powders I have found for .40, for light and heavy loads.

I second that about Silhouette. Silhouette meters amazingly well and consistently and probably what contributes to the accuracy. Note though, that Silhouette seems to like to be loaded up to major. Yes, you can load if for minor, but it leaves a lot of what the old-timers call "WAP crap". Not a problem if you clean your gun regularly. Chance are you do already if you shoot TiteGroup since it leaves that sticky gunk in the corners and crevices.

Tbeazle, Thanks that's good to hear. I have a couple pounds of titegroup I need to use. I'll probably switch powder after that sounds like there are some good alternatives like Silhouette and N320. Glad to hear you've had good luck with the 9mm. I have read good things about Bayou Can't wait to try them out.

Thanks for the advice

For 180gr Lead with Titegroup it's going to be a smoker if they are lead. I have 180gr Shooter Choice Lead I used 4.6gr TG Average Velocity at 10ft is 981fps with PF Being 176 COAL is 1.160 out of my 5inch Stock Eagle. For Jacketed Bullets I shoot Montana Gold 180gr CMJ with COAL 1.150 Avg Velocity 1003fps PF 180.

I'm running TG and Bayou bullets in my 45 and there is no, none, nada, zero smoke.

I'm going to get some .40 cal Bayou too.