Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Club Membership Required

Big Guy

Locally (Mid-Atlantic Section) we have a rate schedule that all the clubs follow:

$20 for a USPSA member,

$25 for a non-USPSA member

$ 5 discount off the above for Club members.

$35 Husband & Wife

$40 for a Non-USPSA member, join USPSA at the match and shoot the match for free.

Everyone pays, Everyone plays.

Members of most of of the local clubs are assessed 'Work Hours' in addition to Club Dues. Working to set up a match gets you credit towards this. locally many of us are members of multiple clubs and shoot at all the local matches so we all tend to work.

I feel that if we start to pay ROs and Set-Up crews, we will lose the 'volunteer' aspect, Right now everyone pays and everyone plays. If I go to a match with a paid staff, how much work am I going to feel I should be doing if I am a paying customer? We already see this with some foreign shooters that use paid staff to build, RO and even tape and set steel. They don't get it that here we all work at our matches.

Jim

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding any USPSA issue, the salient point is that there is ONLY one USPSA event a month. If indeed USPSA rules do not allow the exclusion to a shoot based on membership (a concept that has yet to be substantiated) then this would only apply to that one shoot, not the 5 other shoots occurring during the month.

Anybody find the rule in the rulebook, or a copy of the USPSA club affiliation paperwork?

Just for the record, we use an online registration for our matches and only during the winter months (so Far) have we limited attendance. One thing to do is to make sure that your core group is registered. If you watch the sign in log, you can always remove people that let you know they are not coming. This opens up additional slots. Or you can limit the match to 50 registrants and add in the core outside the regular process.

Our summer matches have been hitting high 80 to low 90 and winter is filling 77 (we have 7 stages with 11 on a squad)

We really wrestled with putting a limit up, but especially in the winter, we run out of day light.

Jim

To join the 2 clubs near me would be a first year cost of approx 1500 bucks. Then to renew these it would cost between 600 and 800 depending on work hours.

Not sure why it costs so little to join clubs around the country but I live in NJ and nothing is cheap.

If I was forced to buy a membership I would only shoot one of the matches a month and be pretty pissed off about it

I will say this about the club I was droning on about that requires a membership after your third match there, the match fee is pretty low. And if you figure in your membership fee divided by about 12 USPSA, 12 IDPA, and 24 steel plate matches (48 total), the match fee still is low compared to other match venues/ranges/clubs.

NJ is expensive, PERIOD. IDPA requires that you join IDPA to shoot. USPSA does not. Some clubs may require a day membership, others require the match to pay a fee to the club. Some may require you to join the facility. Someone has to pay for the range or we don't have a place to shoot.

NJ is expensive, PERIOD. IDPA requires that you join IDPA to shoot. USPSA does not. Some clubs may require a day membership, others require the match to pay a fee to the club. Some may require you to join the facility. Someone has to pay for the range or we don't have a place to shoot.

That's the point many miss. Someone has to fund the range to keep it open. Membership does that.

That's the point many miss. Someone has to fund the range to keep it open. Membership does that.

If you want to send me 1500 bucks I will join both ranges and guest you in anytime you wanna come to NJ. :)

So join one club one year and then some time later join the other. If you are only shooting matches, you don't need to be a member, just pay the slightly higher match fee.

I was referring to the fact that if they made membership at a club mandatory to shoot a USPSA match. Lets say they did that at both CJRPC and OBRPC. I would just join one club if being a member was mandatory to shoot a match. I probably would have joined Central Jersey already, but I may very well be getting out of this state in the next year or two. I don't really want to lay out a one time enrollment fee of 400+ dollars to move away a few months to a year later.

Edited by Babaganoosh

It is a violation of the USPSA's rules to hold a USPSA match and then not allow a card carrying member to shoot there, subject to some very narrow exceptions with the permission of NHQ.

In other words, if you want to have a "members only" club, don't hold USPSA matches.

We have a local club that holds "USPSA-style" and "IDPA-style" matches just because of that...

If you want to send me 1500 bucks I will join both ranges and guest you in anytime you wanna come to NJ. :)

Have you considered moving.

It is a violation of the USPSA's rules to hold a USPSA match and then not allow a card carrying member to shoot there, subject to some very narrow exceptions with the permission of NHQ.

In other words, if you want to have a "members only" club, don't hold USPSA matches.

We have a local club that holds "USPSA-style" and "IDPA-style" matches just because of that...

I think we are still waiting for somebody to actually quote chapter and verse from somewhere that, that is a rule.

6.4 are the only rules I find concerning competitor participation, and nothing is stated about USPSA Members having unrestricted access to a match(any level) held at a private club.

6.4 Competitor Status and Credentials

6.4.1 All competitors must be individual members of USPSA, or a current

member of their IPSC region, for Level II and above competitions. A

competitor who submits a paid USPSA membership application to the

Match Director prior to entering the competition is considered a member

for the purpose of this rule.

6.4.2 Only current USPSA classifications may be used in determining Class

awards.

6.4.3 No person may be barred from participating in a USPSA match based

on gender, race, religion or occupation.

6.4.4 An individual may be barred from participating in a USPSA match, at

the match director’s discretion, if the person:

a. has demonstrated an inability to safely complete courses of fire, or

b. has demonstrated behavior which would or may disrupt the match,

or which would bring disrepute to the sport.

6.4.5 A Match Director enforcing Rule 6.4.4 must submit a detailed report to

USPSA within seven days of the occurrence.