Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gripping my CZ75 Shadow T

lugnut

Here is a good vid with some stills of how Adam Tyc grips it. Word is he isn't too shabby shooting a shadow. He uses a Rami safety.

Burning, it looks like your middle finger is wedged in at the trigger guard/grip junction and your index is just out there on its own, right?

... but I wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong.

... I have taken classes from professional instructors and we've discussed my grip at some length and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. ...

:blink:

Hey... what am I on trial here? Yikes. Let me be more clear... I've taken classes from Manny Bragg and Matt Burkett. Both classes were with my G34. Now what is going on with the CZ is a challenge for me. It's got a long DA 1st pull and the safeties I have now stick out so far I could kill someone by poking them in the eye with them!

I've shot revolvers, Sigs, M&Ps, 1911s, etc... and this gun has huge potential.. but it's going to take some work for me. Already ordered different safeties.

Just looking to see if there are others that have run into this.. clearly they have.. .and it's not just small handed people. rolleyes.gif

FYI if you want to check out my credentials... USPSA TY60707, IDPA A24089 (5 Gun M) - I'm no GM but I'm not a rookie.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood the point of the thread based on that first post. My fault.

I have small hands and a 75 Shadow. I dont force my strong hand thumb down low enough to ride the safety as it is awkward for me. I let my strong hand thumb ride on top of my off hand, and dont worry about the safety. As you can see I'm still getting good recoil control the gun is pretty flat.

See a good example at 3:30 on this youtube video:

lol... cmon folks :cheers:

calm down folks. everyone has a shooting style, and they are as unique as individual fingerprints. :)

I hope the tone on my response was taken at least partially in jest. Hence the use of smilies. biggrin.gif

I have small hands and a 75 Shadow. I dont force my strong hand thumb down low enough to ride the safety as it is awkward for me. I let my strong hand thumb ride on top of my off hand, and dont worry about the safety. As you can see I'm still getting good recoil control the gun is pretty flat.

Greg- I'm with you on the strong hand thumb. Its the meat of my weak hand thumb below the 1st and 2nd knuckle that the the safeties cause discomfort.

I don't want to beat this to death... as I think different safeties will help me. I'm just and VERY surprised at the std safeties and how uncomfortable they are to me. I was thinking that people either swapped them out or adjusted their grip somehow.

Regular 75B or the RAMIs as Neomet mentioned should take care of this... I hope.

Edited by lugnut

lol... cmon folks :cheers:

calm down folks. everyone has a shooting style, and they are as unique as individual fingerprints. :)

I hope the tone on my response was taken at least partially in jest. Hence the use of smilies. biggrin.gif

I intended no offense/attack with mine...I just didn't understand what you were asking. The two quoted posts, read together confused the heck out of me. Then I got off into the weeds on small hands and such. :cheers:

Burning, it looks like your middle finger is wedged in at the trigger guard/grip junction and your index is just out there on its own, right?

no. i use my left index and middle finger and am pulling hard on the trigger guard. my left palm is pushing hard against the top of the frame against my right hand. my right middle, ring, and pinky and pulling hard on the grip, and my right thumb is pushing hard towards the front of the gun. done right, it torques down on the gun very hard. basically the fingers are pulling it apart at the front and the heels of the thumbs are crushing the rear. most of the grip strength isn't in the hands. my hands just hang on to the gun. i establish the grip when the gun is 50% out. much of my wrist and forearm muscles provide the clamping pressure that increases the further out i push the gun as i extend outward on the draw to full extension.

No issue at all Racer... maybe I have a small hands complex that I didn't know about before. LOL

On another note. I'm one that does believe that the fundamentals are CRUCIAL (I'm sure most here are the same). And for me that starts with a solid grip and good trigger manipulation. If I compromise this I'm already at a huge disadvantage for everything else and will likely go to another platform.

The Shadow seems like an awesome gun otherwise- that's why I'm obsessed with figuring this out so I can start the season running!

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

no. i use my left index and middle finger and am pulling hard on the trigger guard. my left palm is pushing hard against the top of the frame against my right hand. my right middle, ring, and pinky and pulling hard on the grip, and my right thumb is pushing hard towards the front of the gun. done right, it torques down on the gun very hard. basically the fingers are pulling it apart at the front and the heels of the thumbs are crushing the rear. most of the grip strength isn't in the hands. my hands just hang on to the gun. i establish the grip when the gun is 50% out. much of my wrist and forearm muscles provide the clamping pressure that increases the further out i push the gun as i extend outward on the draw to full extension.

Thanks! Two things:

1. Ouch, ouch, ouch with an 85 safety and my big mitts.

2. Being left handed I just realized how much I would be blocking the ejection port.

Ah well..... :-)

Looks like adjusting to Czech steel from Austrian plastic didn't take very long Greg!

Looks like adjusting to Czech steel from Austrian plastic didn't take very long Greg!

Thanks, I still have a ways to go but getting there!