Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Information about Briley / Houston Tx

KGB

I have a new M2, I know it most likely will need a gunsmith to give it the once over, but not sure what all I need done. I have the bolt release lever, extended mag, both handle, new fiber optic front sight. Looking at a new carrier from Jeff at C Rums. I also hear Briley in Houston can work magic. I got a quote from Saigent and they wanted more to do the work then the gun cost. I am not planning national shoots just local 3 gun shoots. You comments please?

I have been involved with Briley over the past few months getting most of their "3 gun package" work done to my FN SLP.

I have mixed reviews. First, the work took about twice as long as originally quoted.

Second, while I think the Briley people know their shotguns and make great quality parts, they do not seem to really grasp 3 gun. I seriously doubt anyone there is actively involved in our sport.

I ended up with serious FTF issues. The gun went back for a second visit to their shop with no better results. They did not pay any attention to my input regarding the problem. I finally had to get out the Dremel and fix the FTF issue myself. ( I have a thread in the shotgun forum here that was started in November) Mind you, this was after paying Briley almost $700 to get the job done.

To their credit, the work they did opening up the loading area, installing after market parts and the action work were fine. They also took care of me on some extra chokes to make up for the hassles and length of time involved in the work.

For what it is worth, I have been involved in the action shooting sports since the 80s and have had lots of custom gun work done over the years. This is only the second time I have ever had to take a gun back for additional work. At this point I am not sure I would use them again.

They know shotguns but from a sporting clay/trap/skeet. They are great for regular gunsmithing of shotguns but I would not go to them to do performance things like lighten the bolt and ect. For basic work they are good but a little slower.

Myself and brother have called Briley for a few custom gunsmith type jobs and after going into shock from the price quote and the time period other options were taken. Depending on what you need done I can think of a few gunsmiths but if it is Benelli M2 then something might be scheduled with Benney as I am not sure of another gunsmith with the same knowledge or experience working on them. I do have a nice 4" barrel extension that was made by Briley, this is used for skeet/trap...

I have the normal add-ons and no issues to include an amateur job of milling the bolt. NC: mag tube, clamp, bolt handle. No reliability problems at all. I guess the C-rums liftgate will be next then shortly after to open up the loading port..

I will say this on behalf of Briley,

Briley has been in the shotgun business for over 30years, they have sponsored major matches accross the country. They are active in the shooting community, and will do what is neccessary to take care of you, whether they give you a few chokes to make up for the delay, like one poster said. They really care about their cusomters, if they didn't they would have been out of business a long time ago. As far as 3 gun, we have been doing performance enhancing work for a long time, in fact their are alot of shooters here in Houston and accross the country, who do not post on this forum, who are very pleased with their shotguns. As far as wait time, yes they have a backlog(just like other good gunsmiths), and they do orders, in the order that they come in. We have a team of gunsmiths, and the gunsmiths get paid per job and the last thing they want to see is a gun come back, because that gun takes priority. Are there other good gunsmith out there? of course there are. And to say that Briley doesn't know anything about performance shotguns, is like saying that ford makes the best car, and all others are no good. It doesn't make sense. Along with doing all the performance enhancements upgrades to all the Benelli sporting clay shotguns, they have military contracts. In fact some of their shotguns are being used in the war effort. So, I would get all the facts straight before you bad mouth a company that is helping defend our very freedoms that we have today.

Benny Hill of Triangle Shooting Sports and Mike Cyrwus of Accurate Iron are HIGHLY reccomended as well as respected Benelli smiths, as well as sponsors and ambassadors of our sports. Benny did my M2 (and both 5" and 6" lim handguns) and Mike has done several M&P's for me, and I've had exactly ZERO complaints with the work done by either. I live about and hour from Briley, and while I do a TON of business with them thru the gun club I manage, I send my competition guns to these two gentlemen.

Benny Hill of Triangle Shooting Sports and Mike Cyrwus of Accurate Iron are HIGHLY reccomended as well as respected Benelli smiths, as well as sponsors and ambassadors of our sports. Benny did my M2 (and both 5" and 6" lim handguns) and Mike has done several M&P's for me, and I've had exactly ZERO complaints with the work done by either. I live about and hour from Briley, and while I do a TON of business with them thru the gun club I manage, I send my competition guns to these two gentlemen.

What he said. Briley is not for 3 gun. If you need chokes call Briley. Mike and Benny both shoot 3 gun so they know what works. I took ny M2 from Benny out this afternoon and it was fun to shoot as usual. Will be sending 2 more M2's to Benny in the next month to get setup.

Mike

Sean,

I know you have a relationship with Briley but I stand by my comments. I merely reported the facts about my experience both good and bad. I do not feel like I was "bad mouthing" them. I specifically never said Briley "doesn't know anything about performance shotguns".

I did opine that I did not believe the 'smiths there were active 3 gun shooters. I say this because they did not really understand the nuiances of 3 gun. Specifically in my case they did not grasp the need to do speed reloads from bolt lock back. They thought so long as the gun fed from the tube, all was well. In fact, my gun was an out of battery detonation waiting to happen.

I believe Briley makes some very high quality parts and they probably have no equals serving the clay shooting sports. However, I do believe there are better choices out there for 3 gun work. This may change as they gain experience and I wish them well in the endevor.

So far as their work for the military, that is great. However, I would have serious reservations about a soldier carrying my SLP into battle as Briley handed it back to me (twice).

Edited by Kyreb

Living in Houston makes it convenient for me to drop my guns off at Briley as I've been doing for the past 7 years or so. Based on personal experience, they are extremely capable of any type of barrel work and turn out high quality parts. Very progressive over the years, stand behind their products and actively support the shooting sports.

Beyond barrel work, they have tuned the trigger on my Benelli Super Sport. Results were OK, but nothing spectacular. May actually be more of a Benelli design issue with Briley doing the best they could with what they had to work with. Still an improvement and 100% reliable.

I also had a Briley Beretta 391 Sporting Clays package gun. Very nice work on the barrel, choke tubes, etc... Problem was it was unreliable. Had them work on it again with no improvement. Ended up sending it to Ballistic Specialties/Angleport who was able to solve the issue.

Quality company, see their guys often at clay shoots, very supportive of the shooting sports. Will continue to use them and their products in special applications.