Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye DR Tomorrow Questions to Ask?

I'm going to they Eye Dr tomorrow to evaluate Catarct Surgery. What important questions should I ask?

Is the biggest question straight lens or the newer multi focal lens?

My opto guy says they are bad enough insurance will pay, having trouble driving at night, etc, so maybe its time?

Been there done that what is the verdic?

I'd rather not watch, or is it that bad?

Two reasons to have cataract surgery:

1. Quality of life issues. You can't do things that you wish to do secondary to visual reasons, such as night glare or reduced accuity.

2. Your accuity has reduced to below MV standards and you are a hazard to yourself and others. This one is difficult to convince a patient of.

Uncomplicated cataract surgery is a quick stitchless proceedure. Modern measuring techniques are so accurate that the final vision is very close to 20/20 without glasses. The new multifocal implants such as the Restore lens have had remarkable success. The Restore lens and others are not covered by insurance at this time. Mono vision implants are, of course, covered.

A competent surgeon can have you in and out of the OR in about 30-45 mins.

Your color vision will be incredible after surgery. The cataract has been blocking your ability to perceive certain wavelengths of light.

Now the best part, your vision for shooting will be phenomenal. You have no idea what you are missing.

I'm an eye doctor and deal with this all the time. Best thing you'll ever do for yourself. Please remember that this is surgery so listen to your doctor about possible complications. Report back on your experience. Make a great thread. Best of luck. :cheers:

My avatar is not an example of my skills as a doctor. ;)

Edited by Youngeyes

Young eyes if DR's looked like that I had 10 living under my house last year. Thanks for the response. I think I am leaning more in favor of the procedure, since I took a good look in the mirror, half of both pupils are covered. Kind of scary, my eyes were fine till 2008 and they have been going down fast. Now it is just squeezing it in between the Cruise I'm going on with the wife and the Texas Mulitgun.

I'll post the results of the DR visit later today,

Haven't been in exactly the same boat but I did get (Artiflex) implant lenses to correct my -10 / -12 nearsightedness about 6 months ago.

From what I see about the cataract surgery the procedures are a bit similar, with the exception of the removal of the lens. (Youngeyes, correct me if I'm wrong)

Been there done that what is the verdic?

Should have done it years earlier, very happy with the result. Better eyesight than with glasses.

I'd rather not watch, or is it that bad?

I don't like the idea of someone messing with my eyes and I can't bear watching eye-surgery on TV. The operation itself however was no problem, just sit back and relax and it's over before you know it :)

Operations were painless allthough some things feel a bit "weird", even with only local Anaesthesia you won't see much of it because of the bright lights and you can't focus your eyes.

edit:

I only stopped shooting for a few days after each surgery, doctor didn't say anything about it either.

Of course I always wear eye protection.

Edited by Vassago

Rob Boudrie: Direct impact is to be avoided. After 2 weeks(less in most cases), changes of pressure such as flying or mountain climbing( for the common sense challenged )are OK. The implant is internal and is cushioned from a sound wave or mild pressure wave. I have never read of a study done specifically on pressure changes from shooting. Avoid getting hit by a recoiling gun (always good advise).

Vassago: The Artiflex is implanted in the anterior chamber of the eye. That's the space between the iris(color) and the cornea(clear tissue over the color). The IOL for cataract is in the posterior chamber(behind the color). The Artiflex is also a larger lens and requires more incisions and suturing of the wound.

Please send copies of your insurance cards for the consultaion. :devil::roflol:

Ok, the right eye gets done February 28th. After some discussion of expectations the Dr and I decided to got straight lens. This decisions is because I don't mind wearing glasses and would find hunting for and taking on and off reading glasses to be a pain in the other end. So IMHO it is better to have them on all the time that not being able to remember where you left them.

Dr and I talked shooting, and he says lay off for a week, so I miss one weekend of matches, for each eye.

I didn't get a chance to ask him if doing the non dominant eye first would change dominance.

They test the right eye first, look in here and read the letters in the middle box, What box? I thought they were messing with me till they did the left eye and I could actully read the letters.

I did run into a guy in the waiting room on the way out that said it was the best thing he ever did.

More on the 28th of Feb.

I was kind of hoping you would get the multifocal so you could report back on how well they work. I'm probably going to have to have this done in a year or so... :devil:

The guy I met on the way out had the Multifocal lens and it was his annual check up, he said that he did not wear glasses for anything and his vision was great.

Ron,

You will probably like the results of the procedure. I had a cataract removed from my left eye at 35 years old :surprise:. I didn't go with a multi-focal lens because the surgeon said that it would not work with the shape of my eye. I have a non-spherical astigmatism. Still wear the glasses, but do not need nearly the correction in the left (non-dominant) eye now. My surgeon was a bit more restrictive on the shooting, but that is because I also shoot a fair bit of shotgun.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron, please keep us updated as things progress. I was ready to have mine done until I broke my ankle so will have to re-evaluate when that is all healed up. I have heard nothing but good results from those who have had it done and likewise look forward to having my eyes corrected. Good luck

Definatly go with the multi focals if it is an option. I had it done two years ago, and my wife had it done a few months later. We were on medicare so that picked up the fee for mono focal lenses and we picked up the difference, about $1500 per eye. Best money I EVER spent. We now need glasses for nothing. Just wished my hearing aid worked as well.