Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Friday Flame War 12-27-02

3quartertime

Hey! Now, wasn't that EZ...??

I've always been forced to snigger a little at the term "Web Safe Colors'... Like what the hell do they mean, anyway...? that my screen is going to explode if I use something outside the limitations of the 216...? Naah, just type in whatever color appeals to you and that's what will appear. There's no need to "keep track of" them, just plug 'em in. (it helps to have Photoshop) No need to get into a dither about it.

SigLady:

I stand by my flame, hex sucks. I don't have the time to memorize 216 hex numbers when I can point and click on a palette, although I have memorzed the basic reds, greens and blues. Which red do you prefer FF0000, FF0033, or FF3333?

No fair looking them up.

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 9:15 pm on Dec. 29, 2002)

RA--

LOL...! :)

I just got used to coding HTML from scratch a couple of years ago and don't mind "looking them up"... or playing around with nuances in color.

There are also a number of colors that can be coded with words you might not have expected to code well with a word, but do.

For example, this one is "firebrick"... and this one is "coral"...and this one is "fuchsia"...

Would you like the keyword list...?

I just played with them one night and discovered all kinds of words that worked........ ;)

The 'other crap' are actual words that work in place of hexi-code numbers. I just experimented with quite a few random words a couple of years ago and found that some words actually work. A couple of the words I found from other people's lists, but some were just words I typed in as code and found that they worked. (At the time I was looking for subtle colors suitable for background colors other than the bright ones that some people are so fond of--but are damn' near impossible to read when on screen.)  Some other 'color coding' words that work are Sienna, Salmon, Khaki, Brass, Slate, Feldspar, Thistle, and more. I'm not kidding.

SiG Lady:

Actually I was just rattling your cage, lol. I think it's great that we can even learn in the hate forum.

I used to use color names, but I quit when I started fooling around with cascading style sheets because WC3 doesn't support the names (OK you win because ya gotta use hex in CSS).

FWIW, all 216 color names can be viewed here:

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_colornames.asp

The coolest name just has to be PapayaWhip .

Also, you are right that there are over 16 million colors that can be produced through Hex. However, there are only 256 colors and the rest are color values. The process of dithering is how the browser...ah never mind, this is a shooting forum, lol.

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 8:00 pm on Dec. 30, 2002)

Whoa!  No fair pulling out the papayawhip on the last Monday of the year/quarter when I've been staring at system monitoring crap all day!  Oh, well, one more Wild Turkey and the eyestrain should settle back to a normal level.

-ld

Whoa... this is more than a thread drift--it's a forum drift!! We're dithering again!

I'm on the verge of upgrading all my software (I'm about a year behind on everything) and have drifted unintentionally away from the current track of certain things... (this disability I just got repaired knocked out several aspects of my life for at least a year--including investments in system and career skills.) So, all this blather about HTML stuff is really old, but works here on the Forum as it applies to font color, I see.

PAPAYAWHIP...?  I love it. (Sounds like a flavor of yoghurt!)

Some former mechanical engineers (of all people) I used to work with insisted on doing some of their spreadsheet reports in yellow numbers on white backgrounds...! God, how the hell did they read the stuff??!! I sure couldn't and used to gripe about it all the time.

(Edited by SiG Lady at 8:41 pm on Dec. 30, 2002)