Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP LMOS, non adjustable gas

9X23Guy

I've nearly finished picking my parts for a winter build for the upcoming season. I'm not going to run an adjustable gas block, just my preference. I'm set on a full mass carrier for reliability BUT many guys on this forum are sold on the low mass carrier. So, the question is 18" barrel, rifle length gas, SJC comp, carbine buffer and spring (do to the vltor stock) is there any real benefit to running the low mass carrier at all or am I just asking for tuning problems.

I've nearly finished picking my parts for a winter build for the upcoming season. I'm not going to run an adjustable gas block, just my preference. I'm set on a full mass carrier for reliability BUT many guys on this forum are sold on the low mass carrier. So, the question is 18" barrel, rifle length gas, SJC comp, carbine buffer and spring (do to the vltor stock) is there any real benefit to running the low mass carrier at all or am I just asking for tuning problems.

All you need is a Mini 14 with a good BSA red dot.

Pat

Pat, it's going to be embarassing when you have to explain to all of your freinds how some guy with a Mini 14 and a BSA red dot handed your a** to you on the last 3 gun match........ :roflol:

Edited by 9X23Guy

The LMOS will not give you any tuning problems. I run a JP lightened carrier, a 3oz buffer and full gas just fine with a rifle length gas system. You may be able to detect a fraction more recoil impulse due to not being able to impinge the gas but it is still much better than a full weight carrier buffer system.

You said 3oz buffer, do you think the LMOS carrier will run ok with the carbine buffer and spring. I'll be using the vltor emod kit. And, is the difference in felt recoil that much different? I've shot rifle length gas with an SJC comp and I just can't imagine a gun shooting much softer than that.

I can't imagine how having a tuned gas block will decrease durability. You're only letting enough gas into the system to make it work. A standard gas block is over gassed for reliability sake and has to be harder on the rifle.

I can't imagine how having a tuned gas block will decrease durability. You're only letting enough gas into the system to make it work. A standard gas block is over gassed for reliability sake and has to be harder on the rifle.

i second this, but then again i have never ran a adjustable gas block

A 3oz buffer is a standard carbine buffer.

Mick

You said 3oz buffer, do you think the LMOS carrier will run ok with the carbine buffer and spring. I'll be using the vltor emod kit. And, is the difference in felt recoil that much different? I've shot rifle length gas with an SJC comp and I just can't imagine a gun shooting much softer than that.

I've been running carbne buffers, JP LMOS carriers and non-adjustable gas for the last three years, 100% reliability. I did have some doubles when I tried the JP XP buffer spring and the gun was locked down hard on the bench. Should try a Titanium FP, but still have not yet.

Theres no reliability issue?

I've heard that having an adjustable gas block with these types of systems or hand loads creates long term issues, decreased durability.

Have you used the system?

My low mass carrier and buffer is on its 3rd barrel, well over 40,000 rounds on the carrier and buffer. 2 with the same adjustable gas block the latest with a new one only because its a smaller diameter barrel. Never any problems with either factory ammo or reloads.

Edited by TMC

You guys running low mass systems. How do you keep the gas adjusment from self closing. This has happened to a friend of mine.

Pat

I stopped running adjustable gas, too many problems. When I did, I tried it all to gain some reliability. What I ended up with was basically making my own safety wire. I could have staked the adjustment screw, but then it is not adjustable. There were-are other basic problems with gasblocks, especially when tuning enters in. I started to design a better one, got it drawn up and was about to build a prototype when I heard about the gasblock Jason Adams was making. All I can say is :cheers: to Jason for solving the problems of adjustable gas and making it so I did not have to. His gas block is available through his company: http://syracordnance.com/ We traded some e-mails and suffice it to say, he did a great job!

Right now he only has a set screw style, but I have seen the clamp style, which I greatly prefer. Hope to have some this month. I might actually go back to adjustable gas on a few rifles.

You guys running low mass systems. How do you keep the gas adjusment from self closing. This has happened to a friend of mine.

Pat

I use blue loctite. I put Loctite on the adjustment screw and run it in before putting the gas block on the barrel so I can see it when it starts to block the gas port. I run it in until its covering about 1/4 of the gas port, don't worry you be able to turn it at the range even with the Blue Loctite. At the range it doesn't take much adustment to get it right. After some rounds the threads get covered in carbon/burnt powder and it won't move on its own, at least that been my experience with the 3 I'm currently running. If you're really paranoid, once you have it set you could back it out a full turn, put on a drop of Red Loctite and turn it back in but I don't think its necesary.

Pat

After several attempts at loctite, rocksett, and finally bearing retainer I've drilled the screw and safety wired it to the gas tube. I had the opposite problem though, mine would attempt to leave the weapon within a thousand rounds or so. Ejection would slowly go more and more forward until finally straight pull bolt gun. In my opinion the gas blocks should come with pre-drilled screws and a couple feet of safety wire.

MarkCo, thanks man. That's the kind of info that I was looking for. I appreciate the link too, it's definetly something to think about. My original choice was going to be the Firebird gas block. Let me know how it runs if you try one. If it really does hold the set screw in place that's the best of both worlds. I think I might give the low mass carrier a try. That makes a difference in the build for me. I was going to run a Vltor MUR with foward assist, now I'll run the MUR without one as it would not have a purpose anyway. Thanks for the buffer weight Mick.

Edited by 9X23Guy