Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A few questions about reloading .223/5.56

jdknotts1

As far as the 205M Federal primers, I've loaded about 1000K of them with 69gr SMK bullets and Varget. Never had a problem. They ignite very reliably and consistently. But they have softer cups than other brands and are more sensitive to impact. You may see flattened primers that are not from excessive pressures, but from that soft metal cup. You also have to handle them a little more cautiously especially when loading your primer tubes and when actually seating the primers.

Try using IMR 8208 XBR powder instead of Varget, especially if you're loading on a progressive. The extruded granules are much shorter than Varget's, and it will meter better through a measure. I'm really liking Ramshot TAC too, it's a powder which has really surprised me, and it meters like silk. Hodgdon has their new CFE223 powder too.

Just curious, what is the twist on the bbl you use the 69 SMK's on? I have a 20" 1:9 AR and I keep reading that it's too slow for the heavy's...>69g? I'd like to shoot 600yds with a handloaded 5.56 in that AR. So far, I haven't had any probs with 200yds with PPU 69g match HPBT (factory) but wonder about destabilization out around 600yds.

As far as the 205M Federal primers, I've loaded about 1000K of them with 69gr SMK bullets and Varget. Never had a problem. They ignite very reliably and consistently. But they have softer cups than other brands and are more sensitive to impact. You may see flattened primers that are not from excessive pressures, but from that soft metal cup. You also have to handle them a little more cautiously especially when loading your primer tubes and when actually seating the primers.

Try using IMR 8208 XBR powder instead of Varget, especially if you're loading on a progressive. The extruded granules are much shorter than Varget's, and it will meter better through a measure. I'm really liking Ramshot TAC too, it's a powder which has really surprised me, and it meters like silk. Hodgdon has their new CFE223 powder too.

Just curious, what is the twist on the bbl you use the 69 SMK's on? I have a 20" 1:9 AR and I keep reading that it's too slow for the heavy's...>69g? I'd like to shoot 600yds with a handloaded 5.56 in that AR. So far, I haven't had any probs with 200yds with PPU 69g match HPBT (factory) but wonder about destabilization out around 600yds.

I think the 1:9 will work. The SMK box said bbl twist rates between 1:7-1:9. Should be fine. Mine is a 1:7.

If you're shooting 69gr out to 200 yards and haven't seen any signs of "keyholing" in the target (round entering target sideways due to losing stability in flight from insufficient twist), then you most likely will be okay at longer distances. You just need to try it to find out. All three of my Noveske rifles are 1/7 twist (2 18" 1 16"), and while more than capable of stabilizing a 77gr SMK, seem to prefer the 69gr SMK better. I can get really good accuracy out of the 77gr with the 18" barreled rifles, but it requires a bit more attention to working up a good load for them.

My one 1/9 twist M&P-15 will stabilize a 69gr SMK just fine, but keyholes the 77gr badly. It has a 16" barrel though. Your 20" 1/9 might have enough rifling to get the 77 to stabilize. Or not. Load up a box and try 'em.

For the begining of the year, I think I'm going to forgo reloading SMK and stick with 55gr federal tactical. They use a SGK. I'm only going to start reloading for the long stuff if I run into problems hitting the 300yd targets. Seems way too much of a PITA for a whole lot of nothing. I do like the way they shoot, but I just can't seem to get the velocity I need to match my reticle clse to what I want. 5" here, 6" there, too much too think about while I'm on the line.

• 3 weeks later...

Try Wolf small rifle primers. They seem to be a little larger than most of the others. Also, use the one for .223 as it is supposed to be slightly harder to prevent slam fires in an AR. Powder Valley has them at a very reasonable price.

My one 1/9 twist M&P-15 will stabilize a 69gr SMK just fine, but keyholes the 77gr badly. It has a 16" barrel though. Your 20" 1/9 might have enough rifling to get the 77 to stabilize. Or not. Load up a box and try 'em.

No big deal, but the reason that a 20" barrel does a better job stabilizing heavier/longer bullets isn't that it has more rifling — even a 2" barrel has enough rifling — but because the bullet's velocity is higher and therefore its rate of spin is also higher, which makes it more stable.