Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who makes the shortest QD scope mount?

CJW

My g/f is putting together a new AR and she has a 1-4x scope she is going to use for it. It's on a QD Bobro mount right now, but when she gets a good cheek weld on the new rifle, the scope is way too high.

Looking around at what's out there, it seems the QD mounts I've seen all have some sort of rib/riser above the Picatinny mount, presumably so the eyepiece can clear a fold-down BUIS. She won't be running BUIS on this, so does anybody make a sub-1" QD mount without that extra spacer...?

Thanks!

Edited by CJW

I don't think such a beast exists. A QD mount has a base plate which automatically adds height. You will probably have to go with separate rings. Unless you have a need to frequently remove and replace the scope, there are a number of rings that index extremely well, particularly if you push them forward before tightening them down.

I'm not sure about the inner diameter of the scope involved or the mounts, but would two QD low-rise Aimpoint mounts do the trick?

The most recent SGN had a picture of an M1A with the scope clearly mounted on two LaRue QD Aimpoint mounts.

Or you could add a check piece to the stock so that her weld is higher.

Her cheek is pretty far forward, nose-to-the-charging handle, and it's a fixed stock (Cav Arms). I can't see a way to put in a cheek riser that would be in the right place for height adjustment without getting in the way of the charging handle...

As mentioned Armalite makes a lower than the normal 1.4" to 1.5" mount. I think it is about 1.25" IIRC.

NightForce makes one that has a little more forward offset(and a little more money) that is 1.125".

Both are quick detach with a 1/2" wrench. Stashes in the buttstock.

I'm going to watch this thread because I have the same problem. I like my scope low and back. That being said, I'd still like to mount my Burkett off-set mount under the scope and behind it. I have a two piece ring set up that works but l would like to switch to a QD when I buy my Kdot in the spring. I'll probably call LaRue when I'm ready to purchase and see what they recommend.

After reading Long Range's comment, I did a bit of looking, and it seems there is a 1" high 30mm Armalite QD mount---it looks almost exactly like what I asked about up top, namely a rail-mount base with the rings directly on top, without the intervening "rib" that most other models have. It's on order now and we'll see how it works out...

• 3 weeks later...

Arms makes a very low 30mm aim point QD mount and they also have some in other diameters. To give you some reference on how low; I am 5'8" and I have one on my AK. It's forward mounted on a Midwest industries rail,and the cheek weld I get is the same as the one I have on my AR.

Edited by Funsurprise

Just finished remounting the scope on the Armalite 1"-high 30mm scope mount. It's just what the doctor ordered---lines up great with the cheek down nice and tight on the Cavalry Arms lower's fixed stock.