Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the 930 that much better than 1100?

bmiller

I am thinking about buying a cheap semi shotgun. Have been reading all the 930 posts, this thing sounds like it could turn into a pain in the butt! My friend has an 1100 that he has been shooting 3 gun with since the early 80's. He has no issues. Will the aluminum reciever on the 930 hold up over time? Thanks

Donning Nomex...

No, the 930 is not that much better than an 1100, but their detriments and benefits are in different areas. In general, the 930 is better suited to all styles of loading. The 1100 is tough to load fast, you must have a DMW EZ-loader and you can not really open up the loading port that much or you have scrap metal. The 1100s, if properly maintained, tweaked, cleaned and loved on, will run relaibly for a good amount of time. I shot 1100s for 20 years, they are all gone now, but I took care of them changed parts often. The 930 is less finicky, but I would not bet on their long term durability. If cost is the major factor, the rougher cheaper knock-off of the SLP is the CZ712, which I would go with over an 1100 or a 930. Under $400, $100 of bolts-ons from Nordic and a little time with the dremel, you are up to speed. I would not bet on a 1100, 930 or a 712 lasting past maybe 5K rounds without a major rebuild, so the question is which is better and cheaper for the "$500" and 5K rounds. A local PD basically trashed their fleet of 930s after they hit about 3,000 rounds of full power buckshot if that gives you a focal point.

Is the 930 that much better than an 1100?

Where does this question originate? Is there something floating around out there claiming superiority of the 930 to the 1100? Just curious is all, not trying to be a wise guy or anything.

I have seen a few 930's show up at our matches and many seem to have issues. More so than the 1100's. I personally have used an 1100 for 3-gun and never had a problem in the 5 yrs I ran with it. Prior to converting it to 3-gun duty it was used for many years birdhunting with full power loads. Sometimes I question the wisdom of drinking the Benelli coolaid. I had far less issues with ammo sensitivity with the 1100. It does need a few things, such as the easy loader and extended tube. But most shotguns need something in that price range. The 1100 has been around a long time and parts are plentiful.

you may want to save up and get a benelli, Tom Knapps M1 that is at the Buffalo Bill museum has over 500,000 rounds through it. It may cost more but you would end up saving that in the long run.

http://www.tomknapp.net/gunroom/tomsOldBenelli.php

the old adage 'buy once cry once" applies here.

There's also a lot of old M1s on the used market now for $600-$700 if you look around. A friend just got one at the Phoenix gun show for $600.00