Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight blurring

sparks1

Shot my first 3gun a couple weeks ago... during the one distance rifle stage I found that my front sight focus was blurring. I am shooting irons and targets were at 100, 150, and 200 yds. It was during the last few targets that I found it hard to focus the front sight.

I have noticed this while shooting my M-14 at an Appleseed that during the last few shots the front sight became blurry and I found it VERY hard to focus it.

I use bi-focals for reading , but otherwise my vision is very good. Oh, and I stay hydrated during the matches.

Any help here? Will I find the same problem with optics?

Not knowing all the information would only lead to speculation. My guess is if this only happens at the end of shooting and a lot of shooting is going on then sometimes the heat from the barrel can make the front sight fuzzy just from the heat waves. I have had this problem before with iron sights but not in a long time. I have never had this problem with a scope that I recall.

Another theory is BREATH!!!!!!! Make sure you don't hold your breath.

There must be someone out there that has real smart knowledge of the eyeball and can talk some smart stuff.

Another theory is almost everyone has seen this while looking at one object to long and everything goes bonkers...ok, perhaps it's just me. Pulling surveillance for hours/days at a time your eyes get real fatigued and you will tend to see things that are not there. Only fix for this is look away at something else and somehow rest the eye but still do your job:-).

Another fix/theory is:

On average people who are between the age of 20 to 40 blink about 20 times per minute. Of course with age this action is done with less frequency. However, when people are staring at targets, ect, the blinking number will be reduced to 4 to 5 times per minute. Because of the shortage of tear secretion, the eyes will have symptom of dryness and not seeing clearly. Therefore, the blink of eyes is very important for eyes protection. Generally speaking, blinking 300 times a day is not only contributing to tear secretion and alleviate the symptoms of dryness, but also clean eyes. All of these are good for easing eye fatigue.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Busyhawk

Not knowing all the information would only lead to speculation. My guess is if this only happens at the end of shooting and a lot of shooting is going on then sometimes the heat from the barrel can make the front sight fuzzy just from the heat waves. I have had this problem before with iron sights but not in a long time. I have never had this problem with a scope that I recall.

Another theory is BREATH!!!!!!! Make sure you don't hold your breath.

There must be someone out there that has real smart knowledge of the eyeball and can talk some smart stuff.

Another theory is almost everyone has seen this while looking at one object to long and everything goes bonkers...ok, perhaps it's just me. Pulling surveillance for hours/days at a time your eyes get real fatigued and you will tend to see things that are not there. Only fix for this is look away at something else and somehow rest the eye but still do your job:-).

Another fix/theory is:

On average people who are between the age of 20 to 40 blink about 20 times per minute. Of course with age this action is done with less frequency. However, when people are staring at targets, ect, the blinking number will be reduced to 4 to 5 times per minute. Because of the shortage of tear secretion, the eyes will have symptom of dryness and not seeing clearly. Therefore, the blink of eyes is very important for eyes protection. Generally speaking, blinking 300 times a day is not only contributing to tear secretion and alleviate the symptoms of dryness, but also clean eyes. All of these are good for easing eye fatigue.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Busyhawk

Some good thoughts, Busyhawk. Heat from barrel is not something I thought of, ie generated mirage.

Not holding my breath...firing on repiratory pause. The distance stage almost demands that one takes the time for precision shots vs quick shots at close range.

Thanks

Age is almost 60. MAY be a factor, but then I would have blurred sights all the time. IMO.

Of course my memory may be shorter and I could forget to focus on front sight. :)

Trying to run irons as long as possible. Had a young man tell me I shot irons really well, said I must have had military training. Yup...no optics then.

Age is almost 60. MAY be a factor, but then I would have blurred sights all the time. IMO.

Of course my memory may be shorter and I could forget to focus on front sight. :)

Trying to run irons as long as possible. Had a young man tell me I shot irons really well, said I must have had military training. Yup...no optics then.

I am 48 (49 next month) and have been fighting a similar strugle with eyesight as of late. I too have a military back ground from when there was Iron sights only and learned to use them well. Still can actually, but it is a strugle. I also find it more of a struggle as the shooting goes on. You would not neccessarily have blurred vision all the time. Sometimes we fail to realize that the eyes and eye muscles get fatigued like any other muscle/organ in our body and as we strugle to clearly see the front sight it will become harder to see as they fatigue.

I am not sure about a short memory, I have noticed many people forget to focus on their front sight and revert to a target focus, when reminded they start hitting the target again, but as you seem aware of whats going on, I do not think thats your problem.

You will like a decent optic :cheers:

i started losing my crisp vision at age 60. sometimes it was ok, then sometimes it wasn't. i got some glasses that have .75 diopter correction. works pretty good for most things, but i need more for precise shooting. i just gave up and went into scope for rifle.

Before you go to tac optics, try an EoTech. Most matches put the non-magnified sights in with the irons. I love mine. Head position isn't critcal, if you can see the reticle you can hit the target.

Find someones to try before investing in a non magnified optic. They have no adjustment. Most variables have an adjustable ocular which in the OP's case is very important