Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I shop for an M1 Garand

michael1778

OK, some of you may think it's a little crazy since I'm a newbie. But I've always had an interest in the M1 Garand. I've been an avid amateur World War II history reader since I was a boy. The M1 is nothing less than iconic to me. There are a few slots left for the Texas Multigun match in 2012, but they are almost gone. I'm interested in WW2 Division. I've got the pump shotgun and buying a single stack 1911 .45 ACP is easy (probably Springfield Range Officer). My BIG hang up is the M1. Except for a 1980s clone of an M1 Carbine, all my firearms time is on current production guns.

Where should I be looking for a good value on the M1 Garand? What are "crash landings" for an older rifle? What are fair prices? Anyone have opinions on the Fulton Armory rifles sold today? What questions would I have asked beyond these?

I don't want to break the bank too badly, but don't want to be disappointed my going too "cheap" either. I may suck with the rifle since my skills need work. But I think it will be such fun to be part of that division at the match that I won't care. Patrick and Bryan will be there for goodness sake! B)

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not wait a full year for the next one!

Thank you all,

Mike

Edited by michael1778

I need to be a member of a CMP registered/affiliated club to order one of these?

I may be wrong, but I believe USPSA membership qualifies you. All of the criteria are listed on the site.

It's a fairly easy process, and CMP will ship the rifle DIRECT to you. No FFL.

I've been prowling their site for more information. I'll get educated fast. Thank you very much for the direction.

I need to be a member of a CMP registered/affiliated club to order one of these?

I may be wrong, but I believe USPSA membership qualifies you. All of the criteria are listed on the site.

It's a fairly easy process, and CMP will ship the rifle DIRECT to you. No FFL.

You are correct. USPSA membership qualifies you.

For the shooter/competitor, it looks like the Special Grade M1 Garand would be a bargain. New barrel, new stock and gone through by their gunsmiths for $995 + shipping>

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I've been prowling their site for more information. I'll get educated fast. Thank you very much for the direction.

I know you probably already have, but if not, be sure to check out the forum there too. A treasure trove of info there. And yes CMP is THE place to get one. What you get will be authentic and no bogus counterfeiting going on. Their armorers are 1st rate too. I'd get at the very least a "correct grade". I lucked out and got a fantastic condition service grade HRA with very little barrel wear and a brand new birch stock. The stock is the only downfall, I was wanting a walnut. Here's a pic after I got rid of most of the nasty ORANGE stain. In person there is more brown coloring, the camera and me don't get along with coloring...

IMG_7490.jpg

Google maps says you're about 400 miles from Anniston, AL, which is where the CMP South store is located. They're open on Saturdays, too. Get up early, you can drive down without even having to take a day off work.

If there's a club near you that holds High Power type matches, I'll almost guarantee that someone there would be willing to help you pick out a good rifle in return for a ride to Anniston

If they still have the service grade specials they are a great deal at $895. The metal is all GI described as correct grade. It has not been reqorked it is as it came from the Army and is in close to unissued condition. The stock is new commercial production. The wood to metal fit seems to be the only thing that may give you problems with one of these there may need to be some minor fitment if there is any interference with the operating rod.

Prices on the CMP rifles will be increasing I think after the first of the year. When you order a rifle also get a box of ammo. They are about the cheapest place to get Hornady match loads to M2 spec or actual Greek GI to M2 spec.

By past military service, I'm exempt. I've got my DD214 handy. That's covered.

I can join a veteran group listed to get the affiliation requirement satisfied.

I was considering a road trip to the South store so I could actually see what I would be getting. Great idea, thanks.

I doubt I can make the finances work before the new year. I would have to eat the expected price increase.

welcome to the club of PING!

Be aware that the M-1 has certain ammo requirements to keep from bending the OpRod if you reload it means IMR 4895 Varget or IMR4064

Also,.. M-1 Thumb is a done that/will do that proposition no matter what they say However it usually manifests itself during closing of an empty rifle...

I remember back before 3 gun got started I used an M-1 in a rifle side match the R.O. stopped me after T4 because he thought my rifle broke :roflol: was his first experience with an M-1

Enjoy the old Warhorse.. :cheers: Won't say what I bought mine for but it was back when K-Mart sold rifles....

John

Edited by Amerflyer48