Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WTK resizing 308 military brass

Coleman

I am getting ready to resize my once fired 308 LC brass on my 650xl. I just got done with 2k of 223 brass. I have the dillon carbide 308 resizing die and dillon case gage. Being this brass probally was shot thru a machine gun with a loose chamber. The question i have do I need to have another resizing die when doing the case prep? or will one be good enough? Most of the 308 i reload will go thru a dpms 308 rifle, but other will be thru a m1A supermatch and probally a fal also. I will be using a dillon RT1200 rapid trim in the 650xl to get it done, it worked very will with 223 brass. Thanks Coleman

Resizing it once with the carbide sizing die should be sufficient. You probably know this already, but you still should lube your brass even when using a carbide sizing die.

After the first/initial/only resizing, wipe the lube off of 5 to 10 cases and see if they drop into and right out of the case gauge.

I would think if they case gauge just fine you should be good to go.

As far as it being machine gun brass, the only thing I would be worried about is this:

but I would rather let the .308 reloading gurus here chime in on that first.

Not sure which machine gun would have eaten the brass you have, perhaps the MK48. Not a lot of these out there pumping out brass.

The bolt/ejector and operating design of a machine gun is extremely tough on the brass. I try to avoid reloading belted machine gun brass due to fatigue and exceeding elasticity limits of the brass. If you do reload such brass, been sure to carefully inspect for small hairline cracks, especially in the area of the rim.

Edited by Roadrider18

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...