Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer problem with 550

I bought a 550 about 2 months ago and set it up for 45 acp. The only problem I am having is with the priming system. On the downstroke, the primer bar does not always come back far enough to pick up a primer from the magazine before coming forward on the up stroke. I can force it to work 100% of the time by nudging it the last 1/8th of an inch or so with my left hand. The problem seems to be that it just "hangs up" a little before it comes all the way to the rear. Is this common during a break-in phase? Should I lube it with some graphite powder? I have not yet called Dillon, as this is more of an annoyance at the present time. Thanks.

It's either installed incorrectly or the doglegged rod that the roller pushes back to actuate the primer pickup is bent or damaged in some way. A phone call to Dillon will either help you fix it, and/or get the parts to fix it.

Take the priming system apart and polish the surfaces of the two parts where they slide on each other, reassembly (lube with some graphite powder won’t hurt), repeat approx. every 2000-5000 rounds.

I too had the same problem? The fix for mine was the boltholes that mounted the primer mag were buldged, this made it hard for the primer bar to travel fully!

A file took care of the buldges and the problem. Good luck ;)

No question that the primer system is the weak link on the 550. It MUST be kept clean. Also, I have taken it appart and polished just about all of the parts. I have also had to "Tweak" the rod that pushes the primer bar back once or twice.

• 1 month later...

If you are going to take it apart and clean it (I just did it a week ago and it is really working good now) watch out for the little primer tray. You will have loosen the scew on the right and there is a spring under the round piece that will shoot out. Put your thumb or finger on top of it so you don't loose any parts. Don't hesitate to call Dillon they are sooooo good about support nad helping you out...just make sure you are sitting in front of the machine and they will walk you though whatever you need to do. Ditto the polish recomendation it will make it run a lot better. Good luck.....

I cured my primer problems by stoning the mating parts till smooth and then spraying with silicone. I let it dry and then wiped off the excess and reassymbled. No problems since.

YMMV but it worked for me :D

dj

Husker95,

Keeping the primer system cleaned and lubed is important, but I think the problem you're having can be fixed by adjusting the set screw that limits the travel on the primer slide. I had the same problem and this did the trick.

The part that I'm refering to is called the slide pickup adjustment scew and is part #13961 on page #5 in the manual. I've include a link, hope it works.

Regards,

Todd

dillon?